• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best putter that covers all shots

All I have to say is I wouldn't want to cover all of my putter shots with a Putt'r.

Ron Convers Jr. Disagrees:

Just a little hyzer and short (30 feet and under) putts are semi-automatic. A few years ago I was at the Riverside Glide in Tulsa, and shot 20 under par back-to-back on a 25-hole setup using the Putt'r exclusively for my putts. Yeah… it's that good!!"
-Ron Convers Jr.

That is just putts. 30 feet and under. Wouldn't really call that "covering all putter shots."

Im not sure you can find a more inconsistently made putter on the market vs a wizard.

Just another reason why it works as a "one mold" putter setup. Isn't that why guys can survive with 4 Destroyers? I'm just saying the Wizard has been doing it longer than other putters, the Aviar excluded.

Yet, I will continue to bag 3 different putters, none of the same mold. I'm absolutely not a subscriber to the mold minimalism PHILOsophy. (See what I did there?)

The wizard is nothing magical at all. Just DGCR speak. I actually hate wizards and love many putters which are similar shaped. Im not sure you can find a more inconsistently made putter on the market vs a wizard.

Any/all stable molds work just as well. The polecat is a better driving wizard. You like that?

Thank you. Almost totally agree. (I don't hate Wizards, but I consider the inconsistency a negative, not a positive.)

Yet, I will continue to bag 3 different putters, none of the same mold. I'm absolutely not a subscriber to the mold minimalism PHILOsophy. (See what I did there?)

Saw what you did. I agree with you about mold minimalism: I too am not a subscriber to it.

Lol, I think Aim is going to stay surly until someone makes him an overmolded lid.

I think we're going to have to settle this in person. Perhaps regional heats with the best DCGR putterers advancing to a national final to determine who really knows things about putters.

Last edited:
^ In. With my Wizards. Or some other moderately OS putter you give me two weeks with.

Cool, I vote the PNW heat is in your neck of the woods. Portland wtfpwns Seattle for courses.

< hoping to park putter drives so I dont actually have to putt in this thing...

Agreed. While I think the Gold Line Pure is very capable of handing everything if you feel the need to use a single mold, there is no reason behind the feel in the hand to limit yourself to one mold.

I currently run with Organic Voodoos, Eclipse Soft Ions, Gold Line Pures, and Tournament Harps. Each has a specific role and only the Pure and Ion have any overlap.

There is no "one" putter in DG. You can use one for all your needs if you want but why limit yourself? Putters are the funest discs in the game, even a mold-minimalist might bag at least two...:D.

I bag two true putters, and two speed 3 putters.

My circle/go to is a Retro Mercy, my more stable driving/approaching putter is an Icon Closer.

My go to approaching disc is a Proto DX Colt ( speed 3 ).

Last is a Star Mirage ( speed 3 ) that I use in an under stable midrange slot ( no putting ).

Last edited:
I am going to throw your Aviars right up under the basket. And steal your beers while you go get them. Then how are you going to like those Aviars? Huh?

So you admit that Aviars are awesome to throw?

How much beer have those Wizards gotten you lately?

Aviars are great throwers. Maybe the best mold of all time. I could switch tomorrow.
They are also expensive and come in a limited number of plastics. So I'd want someone to give me stack if I was going to switch.

Gateway isn't super consistent, but they have very good putter molds and whip up every imaginable blend of baseline plastic. You want a certain feel, they've made it. And you can call and ask for it. And talk to someone who will go hand pick more that feel like the ones you like. Or you can mail them one you like (from any brand) and they will try to match that feel for you. Sure, they might never exactly replicate your very favorite, but they've probably got Wizards in 40+ different blends sitting in the warehouse right now. One will get close. And they will work with you to help find it. At $7 a pop.

The P&A mold is being run in what, maybe 7 plastic blends right now? Also, better scoop those Waxy McPros from the factory store before they sell out and you have to pay $30 a pop on the Facebooks. Or you could try calling the Innova factory and describing the feel you want. You'll end up with soft domey Destroyers (it's what I end up with every time I call the Innova Factory asking for a specific feel and profile although, I promise, it isn't what I asked for).

Free beer is nice, but I can use the $23 I saved over that swirly McPro Aviar to go buy some. Or I can buy 4 MORE Wizards and have a nice practice stack.

Last edited:
I'm just not naturally athletic enough to throw Aviars. Plus I don't want to hear that one guy out of ten that pronounces them "AV-iars."