• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Distance for 1000 rated pro

How far away in a flat open field do 1000 rated pros ROUTINELY park within 10m?

• Total voters
On the courses I play here in St Pete/Clearwater the holes we have under 270 and pretty open, I am throwing the hole expecting a birdie. I am disappointed to par those. Holes from 270-315 I am thinking birdie but not expecting it. 315-350 I am thinking possible birdie but expecting par. Over 350 not really thinking birdie. I have no idea what my rating is as I don't play tournaments. So for me I would say given the clearly stated stipulations of the OP, 270 and under is an expected birdie.

On the courses I play here in St Pete/Clearwater the holes we have under 270 and pretty open, I am throwing the hole expecting a birdie. I am disappointed to par those. Holes from 270-315 I am thinking birdie but not expecting it. 315-350 I am thinking possible birdie but expecting par. Over 350 not really thinking birdie. I have no idea what my rating is as I don't play tournaments. So for me I would say given the clearly stated stipulations of the OP, 270 and under is an expected birdie.

What do the local pros,Climo and McBeth, do on those holes?

What do the local pros,Climo and McBeth, do on those holes?

I suspect KC and McBeth are thinking birdie on anything under 400. Ridiculous. KC once started a round at cliff stephens with 14 birdies in a row. Then there is the round everyone talks about at Coachman where he 3'd hole 1 and then hit 23 birdies in a row. I know those are exceptional rounds there and you are asking for what is expected. Just had to mention those anyway :)

Now you are talking about guys shooting well above 1000 rated rounds. I think the majority of that elite crowd are expecting birdie for most everything under 400.

I am VERY far from a pro (I usually play like a 920ish player in casual rounds but don't play well in tourneys) and On a wide open 350 foot hole I expect a decue about half the time, even with my very inconsistint and generally bad putting. I really feel like most pros (the ones that are rated 1000 at least) should be deuceing that almost all the time. However, on a wide open 400 foot hole, I'm probably deucing it less than 20 percent of the time. I would expect 1000 rated pros to deuce that about half the time, but that's not what the "facts" are telling us.

What would a 1000-rated player expect? To find out, you would need to use the actual statistics from 1100-rated players, because everyone in the world is "actually better than their rating".

Here is what it looks like. This is a graph of where the throws of a 1000-rated player would land, based on the distances and accuracies measured on a wide-open hole at the 2008 Minnesota Majestic.

The smaller, red circle around the target is the 10 meter circle. The larger blue circle is a "birdie line" based on Chuck's statistics for actual holes. Not every throw that lands within this circle is a birdie, but as many outside this line as inside are birdies.

The shorter hole is 246, the longer 390.

Attachments

• Birdies.jpg
    Birdies.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 44
Here is what it looks like. This is a graph of where the throws of a 1000-rated player would land, based on the distances and accuracies measured on a wide-open hole at the 2008 Minnesota Majestic.

The smaller, red circle around the target is the 10 meter circle. The larger blue circle is a "birdie line" based on Chuck's statistics for actual holes. Not every throw that lands within this circle is a birdie, but as many outside this line as inside are birdies.

The shorter hole is 246, the longer 390.

looks like every tried the hyzer ace on the 246 hole

the spray zones look a little uniform spiral to me to be actual results....but if it is based on data and not actual throws its good info

We had three of us triangulating laser rangefinder measurements for wide open tee shots on a level 750 ft hole at the MN Majestic.

looks like every tried the hyzer ace on the 246 hole

the spray zones look a little uniform spiral to me to be actual results....but if it is based on data and not actual throws its good info

Short Am throws are biased about 7° to the left, but at long distances tend to be biased 1.5° to the right.

Short Pro throws - at only 3.6° degrees to the left - are less biased than Ams, but Pros hold on to a slight leftward bias (about 1.5°) out to the longest distances.

The spiral is a representation of the data. It's easier to see the variation in density with the spiral than it would be with a shotgun blast. The distribution of modeled accuracy (basically left & right) and distance (long & short) of the spiral covers the same ground as the distribution of measured results.

The expected length of a throw is about 92% of the distance to the hole, plus 15 feet. This holds for all skill levels. The only difference (for length) among skill levels is the Range: where they start throwing shorter throws because the hole is close enough. For Pros, their Range is 445 feet.

I was happy to see that these parameters produced so many throws that are short and left, because that was my subjective perception of where throws were landing that day.

See, this is why DG needs more stats. I want to be able to look up at Worlds, and see how many fairways Paul McBeth hit, how many putts he made in the circle, how many shots went OB...everything.

If we had the stats, the answer to this thread would already be well known.

I bet the thread would've never started...

Short Am throws are biased about 7° to the left, but at long distances tend to be biased 1.5° to the right.

Short Pro throws - at only 3.6° degrees to the left - are less biased than Ams, but Pros hold on to a slight leftward bias (about 1.5°) out to the longest distances.

I wonder how much more pronounced those tendencies would be if you corrected all throws to have the same natural fade (i.e. basically mirroring any LHBH or RHFH throws).

"Routinely" is the major hiccup here, I think. We need a hard percentage. At least 75% of the time, maybe? And putting also affects the outcome, as some 1000-rated players aren't automatic from the edge of the circle. And there's a big difference between 1000-rated Joe and 1025-rated Johnny. Believe me.