• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Guys.... I just contacted the makers of Punky Color to see what the process is in becoming a retailer of Punky Color... along with pricing and minimum order. If this turns out to be the stuff that we are looking for (by the looks and smells of it.... it is), then maybe we could look into making a group buy to get it on the cheap. Any interest?

For the record, I am sure i am not the only one, but elmers glue has been tried, with no good results. I even tried hot glue, no es bueno........

I've been getting decent "negative brainwave-like" results by using rubber cement. Put a dollop of rubber cement on a plate, press out a brainwave-like pattern with a disc, then let the pattern dry for about 5 minutes before proceeding with the standard dip-dye method... Doesn't appear to contaminate the dye, and unmasking the pattern is relatively simple as the rubber cement rolls right off the disc.

I've been getting decent "negative brainwave-like" results by using rubber cement. Put a dollop of rubber cement on a plate, press out a brainwave-like pattern with a disc, then let the pattern dry for about 5 minutes before proceeding with the standard dip-dye method... Doesn't appear to contaminate the dye, and unmasking the pattern is relatively simple as the rubber cement rolls right off the disc.

Hair gel works really well also.

Guys.... I just contacted the makers of Punky Color to see what the process is in becoming a retailer of Punky Color... along with pricing and minimum order. If this turns out to be the stuff that we are looking for (by the looks and smells of it.... it is), then maybe we could look into making a group buy to get it on the cheap. Any interest?

If it works I'm in for sure, those dyes look like they are going to turn out amazing by the way.

Me too..... just did a test on the side.... looks like the dye is taking to the plastic OK.... might need to re-wet the dye and heat it up with a a blow dryer to make sure that it takes. I will be checking them after class tomorrow.

p015qdjt.jpg

For lavon_andy ......

I would love to do this one. Would have to probably use a really light pastel background for the BWs.... and then more mold colors for the Jellyfish.

That's a ton of tiny lines

Might look for setjing worth dying to try something though. Kind of thinking the tiny lines could come across with a single pass and a good long hot dip (maybe dark blue) then marble the body in dark blue and orange with shaving cream (or BW this part?) then either Sc background or BW background (do opposite of body) in light blue

Maybe I can find a white bottom stamp star wraith or a white GL river to do this on

Hey you guys!

Been trying some hair dye myself.... punky color that Um... had mentioned. :thmbup: Perfect consistency.... smells like grapes... bright colors. :thmbup:

Trying a couple of old discs first:

8521882013_6347a30ed3.jpg

8521881235_9055629e91.jpg

8522993108_9f1e3215a9.jpg

We will see what turns up in 24-48 hours!
Can't wait to see how these turn out!!

One last run through with a spray bottle and blow dryer and then I'm going to pull them. I doubt that the pro plastic will show much (the white disc) because it had the waxy texture. The ti disc (red one) will show... but will probably be dark. The yellow star-like disc might show the best... we will see. Just got two white discs to play with for tonight.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present to you..... after much trial and error (probably more error than anything else)..... BRAINWAVES.

Just want to say thanks to all of the people that have helped in making this happen. I can now say that I am 99% sure that Punky Color is what Jeff Ash was using :clap: If it looks like brainwaves... and smells like grapes.... it is probably Braiwaves.

So,

Ti Buzz that was originally Dark Red.... I knew that this wasn't going to show well. Just came out with some dark BWs.

426504_10100408650917476_538343438_n.jpg

Latest posts