• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheating in the junior division...

You have really good grammar for a 13 year old. Keep it up, from the sounds of it you are not only a better golfer than this little cheater but also a lot smarter. Keep a cool head next time, pull your TD aside and tell him your story. Try to consult the rest of the players on your card to back you up also. We have had a few cheaters banned from league over things like this.

In my opinion, there should have been an adult in your group. He could have played in another division, and still kept an eye on you guys. If he insisted on keeping score, next time tell him, that you have to pass the card around after a few holes. Keeps everyone honest.

I also like the idea of keeping a shadow card and I think I will start doing that.

...He admitted that sometimes he wouldn't hear us so he would just guess instead of asking us what we got...

This is the biggest crock of **** I've ever heard. Ths kid in question is setting himself up to be a big loser. I've never not heard the guys singing out their scores standing five feet from me? :doh:

"What 'cha get their Bob?"
"Three"
"Hmmm. I didn't quite catch that. Five sounds good." :hfive::thmbup:

Last edited:
this is a sport without referees watching or instant replay, so it relies on the players to police itself. don't be a huge dick about the rules, but when stuff like that happens, you HAVE to say something. what that kid did is just about as faux pas as you can get. the funny thing is he's probably lied to himself and others about things like this so much, he'll act like he REALLY believes those scores are right even until the very end. he'll convince himself that it's true. if you see this kid at another tournament (and since he got away with cheating at one, he'll probably be back for another), pull him aside and call him out right away. tell him you remember what he did last time, tell him exactly what he did so he remembers, tell him your name, the course you were playing, when it was, and remind him of what he did. tell him if he keeps acting dumb about and and cheating during tournaments, he can be banned from them forever. if he keeps acting dumb at that point and doesn't fess up and apologize, go talk to the tournament director and let him know what happened last time and what kind of **** that kid is doing because you don't want to have a cheater on your card.

if you go to your TD and express genuine concern about this, and he is worth his salt and cares about facilitating positive growth in the sport, he's going to say something to the kid, i promise you. you shouldn't have to deal with that crap ALREADY.

Consider it a learning experience. Be prepared to be assertive in the future--especially if the same jacka$$ is in your group again. There are plenty of douchebags out there looking to steal the spotlight at the expense of others in many areas of life. These types need a healthy B-slap of reality, however unpleasant it may be.

ALWAYS keep your own score...

I've found it really useful to keep a +/- score in my head for every player in the group, and I'll check it against the card every time it gets passed from one player to another. I've only played with someone trying to cheat that way once, but we caught it quickly because I asked to check the scorecard and we were able to go through the last couple holes and sort things out.

I've found it really useful to keep a +/- score in my head for every player in the group, and I'll check it against the card every time it gets passed from one player to another. I've only played with someone trying to cheat that way once, but we caught it quickly because I asked to check the scorecard and we were able to go through the last couple holes and sort things out.

When you're not carrying the scorecard:

Keeping track of others scores ≠ being an a**hole

If you have a smartphone get a disc golf scorecard app. It's very easy to add in other players for a round. Whether it is your turn with the card or not record each persons score per hole when their scores are called out from the prior hole, typically at the next holes teepad.

And echoing exactly what everyone else has said always double confirm each persons score. "mike what'd you get?" "3" " ok so mike got a 3"

And don't ever hesitate talkin to the TD. It's their position to have those tough uncomfortable conversations with players working outside of the rules.

If you have a smartphone get a disc golf scorecard app. It's very easy to add in other players for a round. Whether it is your turn with the card or not record each persons score per hole when their scores are called out from the prior hole, typically at the next holes teepad.

I use my phone to keep score in casual rounds quite a bit, but I find that a lot of players that use them during a tournament get distracted by them, and end up doing things other than just keeping score while they have their phone out.

In a tourney, other than getting naked pics of some hottie, using the scorecard app is the only reason you should be using the phone :p

I'm a junior and if that happened to me I'd call the kid out. I'd say uhmm you don't take care of this course so why are you complaining and, you definitly arent beating me. And The only "Juniors tourney I was in the TD followed us around and stuff. Also Aren't you supposed to switch who gets to keep the score every like 4 or 5 holes or something.

if there were 3 players on the card and you were playing an eighteen hole course, each player should have been in charge of recording 6 holes per round.

Gps devices aren't allowed in tourneys,plus, I'd trust a aphone less then paper if I was the td.

Its one of those situations where as crappy as it is, can all be easily avoided.

The phone would be as a backup. Just in case at the end of a round there are any scoring discrepancies you can reference both the physical scorecard and the one recorded on the phone. At that point you would talk with the others on the card through whatever holes were in contention and come to a consensus.

Why do people not beleive the guy? I could see where this would happen and dont see any advantage of creating a story on here. Sounds just like a vent turned into a learning experience to me.

Latest posts