• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chipmunkgate 2016

Agree completely. However after watching this, and rewatching a few times, I really believe he was going OB regardless of what animal it struck.

So, you agree completely, but you disagree. Interesting.

I watched it a few more times and can't help but think there is a very real chance it would have hit the wall if not for lifting off the chipmunk. No denying it was a poor shot, though. It would be a whole different story if it was cruising down the middle of the fairway before hitting an animal and ricocheting OB.

MJ's disc outweighed that chipmunk by 1.5x - 2X and was traveling at maybe 25mph or more. How much would YOU "deflect" a 300 lb lineman running Usain Bolt speed if he whomped into you? Poor little guy. Give him cashew or filbert for his aches.

So, you agree completely, but you disagree. Interesting.

I watched it a few more times and can't help but think there is a very real chance it would have hit the wall if not for lifting off the chipmunk. No denying it was a poor shot, though. It would be a whole different story if it was cruising down the middle of the fairway before hitting an animal and ricocheting OB.

If you must have clarification. I agree completely about not making excuses and that MJ wouldn't make excuses either. From what I can see in the video, the disc skipped up and then clipped the rodent. It did get slightly lifted but to me, the line the disc was taking, would have still made it over the wall without hitting said rodent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really feels, reading this thread, that allot of people here don't know how small chipmunks are...

Squirrels would be a different story.

MJ's disc outweighed that chipmunk by 1.5x - 2X and was traveling at maybe 25mph or more. How much would YOU "deflect" a 300 lb lineman running Usain Bolt speed if he whomped into you? Poor little guy. Give him cashew or filbert for his aches.

Bad analogy is bad.

*peels off on Harley*

*wonders if anybody remembers this schtick*

The chipmunk is getting a bad rap. He actually tried to help MJ, he expertly dodged the disc and then at the last split second tried to grab the disc to keep it in bounds. His hands were just too small to get a good grip on it though, but he gave it his best effort. I can provide proof of this if anyone is interested.

aRMz7iR.jpg

Ok, due to popular demand, here it is!

Chipmunk-gate rebuffed!

Here the chipmunk is scurrying to get into position:

2vErcAe.jpg

He knows he's running out of time to get in position:

U8LIMSl.jpg

Almost there, getting set to spin around and grab the disc:

YZBrOtG.jpg

He's there, in perfect position on the side of the disc, ready to grab it!:

BD9PqKL.jpg

Starting to spring into action, just starting to extend his arms towards the disc:

NqdahyU.jpg

Here the chipmunk tries his best to grab the disc to prevent it from going OB!:

RqI5x7Z.jpg

After failing to grab the disc, the chipmunk quickly ducks under the disc and dives into the rock crevices in shame:

mPDZuRc.jpg

I would think there would be tiny scratch marks on the disc where the chipmunk tried to grab it if this were true. You would have to subpoena MJs disc to get it forensically tested to verify. The tournament probably does not have budget for it. If you going to do something like this, you need to hire a rodent with bigger paws.

yeah that sounded like "crack head" to me... but that can't be right, right?

I think he did not finish his sentence. When I first heard that, I thought he said "did that hit a crank and..." and someone spoke over him before he could finish the thought. Otherwise he said Kraken which is a thing but it's a sea monster which seems odd? If he really did say crack head, I've got nothing.