• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Considering Moving from Open to Am1?

gcr_russell

* Ace Member *
Im considering a jump down from Open to AM1 for some of my next tournaments. I have only one tournament the last couple years (Las Vegas' Gentlemans Club Challenge) that I've cashed in, and I've been mentally struggling for everything else. I don't even have an sanctioned wins in any division with the exception of a sanctioned doubles event a few years ago. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Im still below the cut-off, but if I switched I'd be the highest rated Am in basically every event I played.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/53873

it's different out there, i guess. or at least i've seen people say such things.

in nc, a 968 rated player would certainly be rated high but not thought of as a bagger. plenty of advanced players in that range around here.

i would say do whatever you think is best for your game. if it would help you to drop down (which your rating would obviously allow) and try to get a win, do it. even just to drop and contend in some tournaments could help.

good luck!

Do it.

If you play well, it'll be temporary---you'll be back over 970 in no time.

If you don't play that well---that's probably where you should be, anyway.

Just bring ear plugs.

Im considering a jump down from Open to AM1 for some of my next tournaments. I have only one tournament the last couple years (Las Vegas' Gentlemans Club Challenge) that I've cashed in, and I've been mentally struggling for everything else. I don't even have an sanctioned wins in any division with the exception of a sanctioned doubles event a few years ago. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Im still below the cut-off, but if I switched I'd be the highest rated Am in basically every event I played.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/53873

Good, maybe Baranowski can join you. I'm tired of him complaining that he can't play any tournaments because the TDs are forcing him to play MPO and he can't justify spending the money for an MPO entry fee when he knows he probably won't cash.

AZ is definitely one of the lower rated am states because so many are persuaded to move up so soon.

Can you switch to Am1 if you have cashed in open in the last 12 months

I am split 50/50.

You have cashed in open. Personally once you accept open money you stay in open. But that is my opinion and I am sure there are exceptions.

If you want to play in AM 1 it is your choice, but for how many rounds. After 1 month you will probably be rated too high and have to go back to open. If you think adding an easy win will bring back some spark to your game, go ahead. Just know when it is time to move back.

hows abouts you practicing the disc throwings and plays more goods.

if you have to ask, you already dont feel good about it, so just stay in open.

Hmmm.. I only play 4-6 tournaments a year. For the last two years my only tournament where I've cashed was the same event on a course I play well at. Aside from that I've not done much. Im still up in the air whether I want to switch or not for one or two tournaments, but not knowing what I'll be able to play the rest of the year there is plenty of time until I make a decision. Perhaps Ill have a better idea after my next tournament in a few weeks where I am staying in Open.

Looking at your sig, you have a lot of discs that have come out in the past 9 months or less. Could it be an issue of bag turnover, and maybe when you have more experience with the newer stuff you'll feel ready for open again? I'm just spitballing here. I don't play tourneys so I don't know how bag turnover affects play.

No dont do it mr. Russell, AZ is weak when it comes to pros and am1 is too easy to place in. U know when ur on top of your game u can play 1000 rated golf, hell, u dont even have to play 1000 rated golf to cash in AZ.

Stop trying to "WIN" in open, just "COMPETE", and the cash will come. I watched all the AZ guys play and i feel like on my good day i could beat u all except maybe Bohme, if u feel the same way dont drop down.

Next tourney i get in i will be playin pro, im 950 rated and AZ just doesnt have the talent in AM1 to push me.

I meen, u can throw farther than 90% of the people on this forum, standing still! So u just got to tweak a few things and ur in the money easily, if its a mental thing, am1 isnt gonna fix that.

Just my opinion

Looking at your sig, you have a lot of discs that have come out in the past 9 months or less. Could it be an issue of bag turnover, and maybe when you have more experience with the newer stuff you'll feel ready for open again? I'm just spitballing here. I don't play tourneys so I don't know how bag turnover affects play.

For me Bag turnover doesn't feel like an issue. I just haven't focused on the parts of my game I need to improve very much, and my mental game is whats costs me in every tournament I've played. Switching my form up on putts in particular subconsciously and having trouble reverting when I know what I need to do.

The bag is actually the most solid it's ever been in my head, and my final round this last weekend (my only decent round of the tournament) I only brought out my nutsac and threw 4-5 discs the entire round. I'm actually considering more of that to eliminate part of the mental work in my game.

I may go the way of Emoney though, as I consider that I'd be in contention to win AM1 here even in tournaments where I feel like I didn't play great, as opposed to having to play well to be in contention in my division.

For me Bag turnover doesn't feel like an issue. I just haven't focused on the parts of my game I need to improve very much, and my mental game is whats costs me in every tournament I've played. Switching my form up on putts in particular subconsciously and having trouble reverting when I know what I need to do.

The bag is actually the most solid it's ever been in my head, and my final round this last weekend (my only decent round of the tournament) I only brought out my nutsac and threw 4-5 discs the entire round. I'm actually considering more of that to eliminate part of the mental work in my game.

I may go the way of Emoney though, as I consider that I'd be in contention to win AM1 here even in tournaments where I feel like I didn't play great, as opposed to having to play well to be in contention in my division.

That makes sense. Take more variables out of the equation and simplify. Good luck!

If its a matter of needing to get plastic, then go to AMs or i can buy ya a few discs. But we both know ur talents belong in Open. If ur off ur game, it will be hard to cash, so thats why focus,confidence, and practice are that much more important in open. I could take 6months off and still cash in am1 (not trying to brag). Its almost like ur doin urself an injustice if u move down, dont give up, just play the course. U got this!

Legally you can move down, which I am sure you are aware of. Had a guy do that here locally and he ended up beating me by one throw in an event earlier this year, causing a major discussion on the club facebook page. Would I have liked to have won that event? Sure. I could have gone out and not taken a 6 on one of the last holes I played and then I would have been tied with him or won outright. If it is within the rules it is fine, even if other complain.

Stay in the open division.

I suggest you go into your closet and find your game face. Next open tourney, you put on your game face and you fight/scratch/kick/claw your way into the upper half of the field.

Back in the 90's we had a pretty good advanced player in Va who won many events. He played in a few Open tourneys but never really felt that he was ready. These days he is still playing advanced at the intermediate level. I've always felt that he didn't take the next step in the progression of his game. Even in my own game when I was having medical issues and problems with my confidence and ability I stuck with the open division. I had been a pro for many years when my rating fell to the intermediate level. It made me try harder and now my rating is the highest it's ever been.

Latest posts