• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy to female players in 2017 - Can it exist?

I don't know. There's plenty of creepy dudes playing disc golf.

There's just something about a sport/activity, where you can purchase one relatively inexpensive frisbee, and then play for free, in the woods, with your bros, without a shirt, drink and smoke, litter and graffiti, with barely any authority figures around, that brings out the creeps.

Not really seeing a smiley here so I'm assuming it's serious. Have you not seen how many men are assaulted, robbed, and raped each year? Of course it happens to women more, but we're not invulnerable.

Oh my gosh, please.

This line of defense when talking about Women's Issues is ridiculous.

Like we can't talk about issues women face without comparing them to men.

Look at the stats. He linked the video about walking alone at night. In fact women are safer than men in this instance.

Look at the stats. He linked the video about walking alone at night. In fact women are safer than men in this instance.

You're wrong and the "stats" are incomplete.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Could it be that men are more likely to be attacked at night walking alone, because they aren't discouraged from doing so?

Women are told not to walk alone at night or to use the buddy system.

So less women walking home at night alone vs. more men walking home at night alone.

What does that equal?

Also, what are these men doing while walking home alone at night? Are they intoxicated (making them an easier target)? Were they picking/starting fights?

Do those stats take into account sexual violence? Or simply physical violence?

I see what you're saying, Dan. All I responded to was that "we have nothing to worry about" (paraphrased). I think we can both agree that anyone, male or female, can be a victim. And that it is also dangerous to assume that nothing will happen to us just because we're men.

Now pull your waistband up like you expectin' a flood.
And slick your hair down flat like it was covered in mud.
Trim up your pencil mustache and pop them peepers.
Put this in your speakers; you a certified creeper!

:D

The video is a satirical comedy piece from a TV show on Netflix.
It's not meant as data, just observational comedy.

"Aw, my favorite sneakies!" cracks me UP!

There's just something about a sport/activity, where you can purchase one relatively inexpensive frisbee, and then play for free, in the woods, with your bros, without a shirt, drink and smoke, litter and graffiti, with barely any authority figures around, that brings out the creeps.

Those are things I wasn't aware were a thing until I got out and started playing.
Like the lack of gender parity. I didn't know until I already had the bug.

Huge learning curve for me in every respect. Plus, being introverted and sometimes targeted...It seems like I should quit but I don't want to !! I'm determined to throw a dang frisbee anywhere I want without fear. :thmbup:

Those are things I wasn't aware were a thing until I got out and started playing.
Like the lack of gender parity. I didn't know until I already had the bug.

Huge learning curve for me in every respect. Plus, being introverted and sometimes targeted...It seems like I should quit but I don't want to !! I'm determined to throw a dang frisbee anywhere I want without fear. :thmbup:

picture.php

You totally shouldn't quit. This is the best town in the world (arguably) for this game.

Not being a lady, I don't know the ladies league well, but I know there's a good cross section of skill levels, a couple of really solid pros to beginners.

The scene here is big enough that you can probably get into playing in groups pretty regularly without involving any dudes, if you choose.

Playing with others is the best way to improve fast.

I couldn't read all thirty pages of this thread, but I saw too many responses to OP that are along the lines of - do this, or think this, or don't worry about this -- basically telling her that the men causing problems are just a minority and that SHE is going to have to deal with it.

This is why female participation in our sport is so low -- which hurts the game for all of us. The 98% of us (or so we claim) that know better than to make comments like this to random female disc golfers have to STAND UP and tell the other 2% to knock that crap off.

I couldn't read all thirty pages of this thread, but I saw too many responses to OP that are along the lines of - do this, or think this, or don't worry about this -- basically telling her that the men causing problems are just a minority and that SHE is going to have to deal with it.

This is why female participation in our sport is so low -- which hurts the game for all of us. The 98% of us (or so we claim) that know better than to make comments like this to random female disc golfers have to STAND UP and tell the other 2% to knock that crap off.

Exactly correct.

Women have been having their hash settled by men for centuries, why would they volunteer for more of that kind of treatment in their spare time?

That only 8% of disc golfers are women should surprise absolutely no one, except maybe those who expected that % to be even smaller.

Every time I need a good chuckle, I like to re-read one of the many breathless "why can't I get my GF/wife/SO as stoked about disc golf as me?!?!" entreaties that pop up on here every 10 weeks or so. That self-repeating thread is a close cousin to the evergreen "how do we get more women out to our all-male tournaments/circle jerks?" screed that pops up almost as frequently.

Golf was invented so that men could get away from the women for a while and drink and compete with there buddies. (I'm guessing). Disc golf can also fulfill this need. But now we have hyper-PC pants wearing working women that want to do EVERYTHING that men do. OK with me. But most if not all of the men that I have played with or have seen on the course have nothing but the utmost respect for all people playing Disc Golf. That said, if an attractive female is on a disc golf course every straight male is going to take notice (biology). This of course does not condone disrespectful behavior as that should never be tolerated.

It's nice to.see more females playing. We need to do all that we can to encourage them to continue playing.

A few weekends ago at Triad park, I counted about 10 women playing out of the 50 or so people I saw at the course.

Noil, that thread got derailed long before faux state chest thumping got involved. Somewhere around the point where people calling women sweetheart got labaled as sexist. Or that moment where the same site that has the most degrading threads about women in Dg(check top 5 threads in the landfill) finally grew a fake conscience. Not everyones was fake but where is all the protesting in the other threads?

take it back to the courtesy to women thread... no one is perfect and no one is right all the time... obviously there is an issue and obviously there are different perspectives on what the problem actually is... no movement starts out with everyone agreeing