• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

more pics ,,, plus i stopped in at DD just for grins and took a picture of the sign ,,,, there is action on the other side of the golf course and i see the sidewalk coming from 407 all the way thru the back 9

Attachments

• lake park feb 14, 2016 064.jpg
    lake park feb 14, 2016 064.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 43
  • lake park feb 14, 2016 066.jpg
    lake park feb 14, 2016 066.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
  • lake park feb 14, 2016 067.JPG
    lake park feb 14, 2016 067.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
It looks like the course will need a complete redesign. If they don't use any new land (across the road from 17 tee?) it looks like it may lose 3 holes minimum.

Losing this course is a tragedy for the DFW area. It was easily the best place to play after it rained and was always fun. Too bad.

Wow, this is one of my favorite courses in DFW if not my favorite. Many of the holes will have to be reconfigured. Additionally, I wonder what effect the walking trail will have on tournament play now.. It seemed like DD held a tournament there once a month.

Since DD left Lewisville that'll decline quite a bit I'm sure. But yeah, they've got some work to do out there. Gonna be interesting to see what the new update will look like.

That's not great news...walking paths are course killers. I'm hopeful this isn't the end of Lake Park as a fun 'change-of-pace' course from what most of Dallas has to offer, but I'm not super optimistic.

Walking paths and disc golf courses can co-exist, look at Harry Myers, The Cedars and Audubon, and the newest addition Robert W. Lytle course at Founders Park in Oak Cliff. The designers are potentially killing the course (or a walker, heh). Hopefully they have enough foresight to see the issue and make sure things are taken care of so that both type of park patrons win.

There's a lot happening in Flowermound, 250 acres of land around Lake Lewisville is being sold to the highest bidder and apparently it's going to be sold to a drilling company. I think the locals only have a few days to file a complaint/petition or something to slow down or stop the process.

There's a lot happening in Flowermound, 250 acres of land around Lake Lewisville is being sold to the highest bidder and apparently it's going to be sold to a drilling company. I think the locals only have a few days to file a complaint/petition or something to slow down or stop the process.

Those are drilling leases on public land. Even if they are leased by a drilling company, it doesn't mean they will actually drill. If they use the most modern methods, the only way you'll know they are there is by the truck traffic.

Those are drilling leases on public land. Even if they are leased by a drilling company, it doesn't mean they will actually drill. If they use the most modern methods, the only way you'll know they are there is by the truck traffic.

Just hoping they don't lock up a good chunk of land real estate that can't be used for the park or public.

Wow. Thanks for the photos. Makes me so sad to see the changes. I hope they can make it better than it was before, but I'm still going to miss the old layout. I bet Old Man Tom would not have approved of this renovations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark996 View Post

BB Owen has DGA baskets, if I'm not mistaken. If they're not DGA, they're a very close clone, manufactured basket.

I was told that bb Owens baskets were relocated from skyline, and were donated by whammo in the really good old days. But idk for sure.

is that my good friend Jennifer b?

the bb baskets are from skyline, or lake highlands - both names are correct. the course was at skyline rec center across from lake highlands high school.

skyline shut down in 1993? 1994? and moved to bb. basically the multi use park was not working out. one hole was by a playground. one hole threw over the pool. one hole threw over the tennis courts. neighbors hated golfers back on 14,15,16 it played down an alleyway, etc.

tim reim cut in the original fairways at bb. with his jeep :)

if you lost a Frisbee off the fairway at bb, it was 10' weeds and brush. rats would chew on the discs.

some of those baskets have been hand made/ repaired over what 30 years now?

whammo put the course in 1982, im pretty sure. go find danny or dirk, or Sammy jo, they will know.

- saylor

and there was a guy named eric b hill. he ran the mini every weekend at fritz, then he would drive to bb. then the next day he would run plano. he was the life of Frisbee golf in the early days in dallas. he sold plastic out of his car, before any stores ever existed. and before the internet of course. by himself he started thousands of golfers out around here. r.i.p. eric b. hill #6907.

10-27-2010, 12:04 AM

Replies: 22

1st disc golf course in TX???

Views: 2,034

Posted By saylor

I saw elsewhere on the net that as early as 1978...

I saw elsewhere on the net that as early as 1978 there were 9 baskets there at skyline,, which sorta fits the story with whammo donating the 1st 9 holes...

Forum: Disc Golf Courses 10-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Replies: 22

1st disc golf course in TX???

Views: 2,034

Posted By saylor

i asked sammy the other day, and he said skyline...

i asked sammy the other day, and he said skyline went in in 1982. it got moved in 1995 because skyline park was multi-use and people were getting hit with discs, etc., etc. It was way way crowded,...

The Bedford Boys Ranch Disc Golf Course is scheduled to start installation in a week. The course is flagged out and waiting final approval before installation. The 9 hole course is short and technical with some water and lots of OB. The original plan for 18 holes was taken over by the sidewalks, parking lots, picnic areas and coverings that they will build in phases 2-4. Hope to see you out there soon. -J.B. Rappold

^From Funkytown Flyers Facebook page

With the address being 2801 Forest Ridge Dr, Bedford, TX 76021 slightly disappointed that it will only be 9 holes, but I would rather have a safe 9 holes than a dangerous 18.

Attachments

• 998495_994666767270815_8132990092146449181_n.jpg
    998495_994666767270815_8132990092146449181_n.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 18
The Bedford Boys Ranch Disc Golf Course is scheduled to start installation in a week. The course is flagged out and waiting final approval before installation. The 9 hole course is short and technical with some water and lots of OB. The original plan for 18 holes was taken over by the sidewalks, parking lots, picnic areas and coverings that they will build in phases 2-4. Hope to see you out there soon. -J.B. Rappold

^From Funkytown Flyers Facebook page

With the address being 2801 Forest Ridge Dr, Bedford, TX 76021 slightly disappointed that it will only be 9 holes, but I would rather have a safe 9 holes than a dangerous 18.

More courses = more better, :hfive: but I am kind of disappointed that it isn't 18. It might reduce/divert some of the traffic at Bear Creek but not by as much as I had hoped. Fritz doesn't seem to gather as many true rec level players, and now that Lake Park is gone there should be an even bigger demand for a 'starter' course near the mid-cities.

I've read a couple reviews, but anyone have any experience with Selah Ranch? Has anyone stayed at the ranch? We're planning a vacation there, but noticed it's $20 a day per person to play. Do they do discounts for multiple days? What other courses in the area are must plays?

^ apparently I'm blind, and an idiot. Selah Ranch thread just a few spots below this one. Time to start reading...