• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you hyzer flip?!

do you throw hyzer flips?

• Yes

Votes: 177 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Wut? i flex errrrrythang.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
I still can't throw a great hyzer flip, but the Gateway Chief (specifically in Soft plastic), is teaching me how to do it and trust the flight. Wonderful RHBH flip to right with a subtle fade left at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discs I hyzer flip.
Saint Pro
Broken in Giant
Broken in Mace

Ive decided to rebuild my poor poor BH, but Ive got a decent flip down with FH. Valk, Zombee, Mantis, Stratus (in practice)... most dependable is my Roadrunner. It just seems to fit in that pocket better. One disc ive heard a lot about people flipping is the MVP Wave but mine doesnt seem neeeeearly as US as my others. Although, ive never thrown a different Wave, I've always wondered if mine is more OS than average or if I'm just not even coming close to getting it up to speed... Probably the latter. Back to the RR! :)

Last edited:
My Proton Wave flips just like my Champ Sidewinder.

I'm still not super confident throwing hyzer flips in somewhat tight lanes. And confidence is a key ingredient. You're releasing a disc on a good hyzer. If it goes well, your disc goes where you want. If it doesn't go well, it's a disastrous meathook from the start.

I usually don't take that risk, I'll bomb a straight mid-range for a bit less distance with much less risk. Wide open holes, though, where even a meathook won't be too terrible, I will hyzer flip the Sidewinder from a substantial hyzer angle. Always surprises me when it works out like how I pictured it in my head. Needs to happen a dozen more times before I'm confident and trust the disc to listen.

My beat in Champ Eagle on a 360' hole that needs to finish left. I started the shot just right of straight with a touch of hyzer. Watched it pop to flat and finish with a wicked skip maybe 15-20 feet from the basket. If I didn't choke, that would have been my first ever birdie on that hole. Wasted such a beautiful shot. SMDH!!!

Michigan has a lot of wooded courses, so a good hyzer flip is essential! Seasoned 400G M4, S-Line FD, Kaxe, and CD2 all get flipped a few times on most courses. I typically stick to the FD just because it is the straightest flying, easiest to control, and easiest to flip to straight disc that I bag.

On a bizarre note, I have 2x S-Line TD2s (175g and 166g) that I figured would be a little easier to hyzer flip and get a little more distance than my FD, but I cannot get these stupid things to flip up for my life! Discmania lists them as 10/5/-4/1 but my CD2 flips up much more consistently with a turn rating of -1... Kinda blew my mind, but, the TD2 just holds a hyzer line. Released flat with a lot of power and snap, they are definitely understable, but I don't quite buy the "-4" turn rating. Or maybe it's the archer. (we all know that)

Michigan has a lot of wooded courses, so a good hyzer flip is essential! Seasoned 400G M4, S-Line FD, Kaxe, and CD2 all get flipped a few times on most courses. I typically stick to the FD just because it is the straightest flying, easiest to control, and easiest to flip to straight disc that I bag.

On a bizarre note, I have 2x S-Line TD2s (175g and 166g) that I figured would be a little easier to hyzer flip and get a little more distance than my FD, but I cannot get these stupid things to flip up for my life! Discmania lists them as 10/5/-4/1 but my CD2 flips up much more consistently with a turn rating of -1... Kinda blew my mind, but, the TD2 just holds a hyzer line. Released flat with a lot of power and snap, they are definitely understable, but I don't quite buy the "-4" turn rating. Or maybe it's the archer. (we all know that)

This is a very important point, Reniger. :hfive: In tight lined, low ceiling fairways found in the Mitten, a reliable hyzer flip is a great tool.
River, King, Stratus, and my Core are all staples in my hyzer flip game. Like said below, hyzer flips can be tricky. A bit too much hyzer and you are pondering your recovery shot.

For 15 years I only threw them. Then I cleaned up my form to a point where I can throw flat and stay flat and land flat without having to burn out my OAT on flip.

playing in the woods i throw tons of hyzeflips.. and honestly it has taken over but lately i have been trying to force myself to throw my true flex shots and anhyzers just so i dont lose touch

I used to flip and still do in some situations but I now prefer to throw flat and stable. Feels more controlable for me.

Latest posts