• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

I don't have stats fully updated at the moment, but here's the list of the 53 Diamond Trusted Reviewers in order of when they achieved it:

1. The Valkyrie Kid - Jan '10
2. mashnut - unknown
3. harr0140 - unknown
4. optidiscic - unknown
5. ERicJ - Sep '11
6. Olorin - Sep '11
7. JR Stengele - Sep '11
8. bjreagh - Sep '11
9. swatso - Oct '11
10. Donovan - Oct '11
11. cefire - unknown
12. notapro - Jun '12
13. srm_520 - Nov '12
14. DSCJNKY - Dec '12
15. Jukeshoe - Mar '13
16. DiscGolfCraig - Mar '13
17. prerube - Mar '13
18. #19325 - unknown
19. sloppydisc - unknown
20. tallpaul - May '14
21. BrotherDave - May '14
22. sillybizz - Aug '14
23. Innovadude - Sep '14 (and Dec '23)
24. BogeyNoMore - Apr '15
25. reposado - May '15
26. mndiscg - Jun '15
27. sisyphus - Nov '15
28. DGtourist - Feb '16
29. dreadlock86 - Apr '16
30. apdrvya - Sep '16
31. Hector Chain - May '17
32. Upshawt1979 - Jun '17
33. Stardoggy - Nov '17
34. New013 - Jan '18
35. AdamE - Jan '18
36. markmcc - Jun '18
37. sidewinder22 - Sep '18
38. wellsbranch250 - Nov '18
39. Qikly - Nov '18
40. craigd - Apr '19
41. Three Putt - Aug '19
42. c_a_miller - Jun '20
43. wolfhaley - Aug '20
44. Bennybennybenny - Jan '21
45. Pizza God - Jun '21
46. ElementZ - Jun '21
47. BigAl724 - Aug '21
48. MrFrosty - Oct '21
49. RussMB - Jan '22
50. thembo - Jun '22
51. Cerealman - Jul '23
52. KenanFlangler01 - Sep '23
53. jaymon1 - Sep '23

Random run fact - I found myself in an old thread on here when Tim first created trusted reviewers, and while Sir Valk was the first gold and diamond TR on DGCR, it was actually jaymon1 that was the first TR on the site way back when.

I would love to even have the old member list from the old site back - it wasn't perfect by any means, but I think it's weird that a full list of members is not accessible.

As for the TR spreadsheet, Sisyphus has been great about keeping the Diamonds recognized on it. A new spreadsheet may or may not be a project being worked on, and if it was to be in progress, it'll take a minute but should hopefully both have all of the TRs on the site as well as updated stats related to the new version of the site. More to come 👀
Thanks for the recognition! I did not know I had made diamond until today. I'm surprisingly proud of that little icon.

I'm honored to be in the company of the 53 Diamonds who came before me.

Here's what Diamond looks like for me (I'm amazed at how different it looks from those of you who've been here longer…):

375 reviews written over 5 ½ years.

4,428 upvotes and 37 downvotes.

250 Unique upvoters and 29 unique downvoters.

Thanks to my "Frequent Voters":

@wellsbranch250 – 316

@wolfhaley – 242

@dreadlock86 – 239

@lee76007 – 231

@Tyler V – 226

@thrembo – 198

@brentjacobs – 196

@Monocacy – 171

@enragedmullet – 168

@DFrah – 160

@DiscGolfCraig – 157

@Crooow – 126

@pmay5 – 118

Special thanks to @wolfhaley , @thrembo and @Cerealman for rounding up additional unique voters for me.

I was stuck with about 30 to go a few months ago, so I started asking people to help. So hey – look at me: 67 years old, and I'm just learning to ask for help!

It's been a long climb, and I hope others can get here with fewer reviews and fewer votes.

-Hugh

I find it interesting that the pace of people reaching Diamond hasn't changed that much over the years. For no good reason, I thought there was a flood of them early on (the "old days of DGCR") followed by a slow trickle.

But it turns out that it's been a pretty steady ~3 a year, give or take. With a max of 6 a few times.

I still think it's the case that the number of reviews needed has grown, and the impact of "regular voters" has increased the number of votes received by the time you get the 250 uniques. But even with those changes, the elevation to Diamond has stayed pretty steady - just around 3 a year.

I wanted to come to the conclusion and whine that "it's harder now", but this suggests that it's never been all that easy.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the pace of people reaching Diamond hasn't changed that much over the years. For no good reason, I thought there was a flood of them early on (the "old days of DGCR") followed by a slow trickle.

But it turns out that it's been a pretty steady ~3 a year, give or take. With a max of 6 a few times.

I still think it's the case that the number of reviews needed has grown, and the impact of "regular voters" has increased the number of votes received by the time you get the 250 uniques. But even with those changes, the elevation to Diamond has stayed pretty steady - just around 3 a year.

I wanted to come to the conclusion and whine that "it's harder now", but this suggests that it's never been all that easy.
I think this misses a key point. The number of users has increased significantly, but the number of reviewers reaching Diamond status each year hasn't gone up, so the percentage of Diamond reviewers is going down. That would tend to indicate that it is more difficult to attain Diamond now. There are a lot of other factors, however.

I think this misses a key point. The number of users has increased significantly, but the number of reviewers reaching Diamond status each year hasn't gone up, so the percentage of Diamond reviewers is going down. That would tend to indicate that it is more difficult to attain Diamond now. There are a lot of other factors, however.
Maths

Has the number of active users increased much?
Has the number of voting users increased?

I honestly don't know the answer to either of those - but it seems those are critical factors. At any given time, the "pool" that unique voters is drawn from is those who read, and vote. Presumably that pool gets larger with new members, and shrinks as people move on or lose interest.

Maybe it is harder now than before. It sure isn't easy.

I think it's definitely harder now, and it's clearly largely due to the number of active voting users (i.e. uniques).

I'm not one to bother complaining about it, but just for fun here's a blind resume comparison like they are fond of doing in the sports world.

User #1:
- 192 courses played
- 6 states/1 country played
- 1 course played in current DGCR top 10
- 188 reviews
- 2094 thumbs up/120 thumbs down

User #2:
- 224 courses played
- 22 states/2 countries played
- 4 courses played in current DGCR top 10
- 215 reviews
- 2224 thumbs up/19 thumbs down

Scroll down for part 2.

Scroll down for part 2.
Now, obviously I'm not saying that one person's experiences are "better" than someone else's. Full stop on that, I hope that's 100% clear.

BUT that disclaimer aside, objectively it looks like User #2 has a little bit "higher" of a profile. User #2 has more courses played (including in a wider variety of states/countries and more top 10 courses, both of which often get cited as sources of lots of upvotes and uniques). User #2 ALSO has a handful more reviews and thumbs up, and fewer thumbs down.

User #1 is BrotherDave, the 21st person to obtain Diamond TR status per the TR Data spreadsheet. He obtained Diamond around May of 2014 (again per the spreadsheet), at which point it looks like he had almost 100 fewer reviews than he does now. So he was able to hit Diamond TR status with something like 100 reviews.

User #2 is EspressoPatronum, who is not a Diamond TR but rather a self-proclaimed "Cubic Zirconia Lifer".

What stat is missing from the above profiles that is making all the difference here? Of course, it's the uniques. BrotherDave has 432 unique upvoters, a jaw-dropping number by today's standards. 432/188 = 2.30 unique voters per review. EspressoPatronum - despite having more courses, reviews, and upvotes - has only 182 unique upvoters. 182/215 = 0.85 uniques per review. At that rate (which is obviously purely hypothetical), he'll have to write about 80 more reviews to get the remaining 68 uniques he needs. That would put him at 295 reviews to reach Diamond, or about 3 times as many as BrotherDave needed to reach the same status.

I think we could pull more examples like this all day long. The number of active voting users on the site has decreased over the years, and that's the primary (if not only) reason why HyooMac's intuition is correct - obtaining Diamond TR status is harder than it used to be.

I think it's definitely harder now, and it's clearly largely due to the number of active voting users (i.e. uniques).

I'm not one to bother complaining about it, but just for fun here's a blind resume comparison like they are fond of doing in the sports world.

User #1:
- 192 courses played
- 6 states/1 country played
- 1 course played in current DGCR top 10
- 188 reviews
- 2094 thumbs up/120 thumbs down

User #2:
- 224 courses played
- 22 states/2 countries played
- 4 courses played in current DGCR top 10
- 215 reviews
- 2224 thumbs up/19 thumbs down

Scroll down for part 2.
There are a lot of other factors to consider. How old are the reviews? How long did said reviews remain on the first page of the site? How many other reviews for each course has been written since then? Were the reviews written for courses in high vs low traffic areas?

There are a lot of other factors to consider. How old are the reviews? How long did said reviews remain on the first page of the site? How many other reviews for each course has been written since then? Were the reviews written for courses in high vs low traffic areas?
The age of reviews definitely plays a role too, although that's really what I'm trying to say above. To add a little more data to back up your point, here are my own current stats:
- 225 courses played
- 16 states/1 country played
- 5 courses played in current DGCR top 10
- 223 reviews
- 3019 thumbs up/12 thumbs down

My stats are pretty similar to EspressoPatronum's, yet I am lagging even further behind in uniques at only 160. 160/223 = 0.72 uniques per review. Comparing my profile and EspressoPatronum's, we can guess at the reason why - his first review was in 2011 and although he didn't really become a regular reviewer until 2017, he does have 13 reviews posted between 2011-2014. In contrast, my first review was in 2020. It's very likely that most of those 22 extra uniques date from those 13 2011-2014 reviews.