• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Skip Hyzer Approaches

jenb

* Ace Member *
Lets say from 120 or 150 feet out, would a putter work for this shot, or is it necessary to disc up? Should I be turning to my gator for this shot?

It depends on how much of a turn you need. I've used my firebird for a hyzer skip shot at around 100 feet from the basket.

Also largely depends what you are trying to skip on, sand, grass, dirt, asphalt, etc.

Yeah, your blunt nose discs, putters and mids really, aren't going to do much skipping or flaring. You almost need the rim of a driver for it to skip right. And if you get it on the ground early, I'd think those distances could be controlled.

Zone, best flick approach disc by far. You will get a nicer more controllable skip from this then from any driver or other putter. I swear by this disc.

Zone, best flick approach disc by far. You will get a nicer more controllable skip from this then from any driver or other putter. I swear by this disc.

YES YES YES.... I was just out throwing some nice skip approaches with my hard Pro D Zone it works great. It does not seem to skip as high as a driver but it will definatly skip 15' to 25' on a low line. It is also very predictable for me.

Lets say from 120 or 150 feet out, would a putter work for this shot, or is it necessary to disc up? Should I be turning to my gator for this shot?

For this type of fly I would use either my teebird or max - depending on the ground I'm skipping off of, how tight of a hyzer line, and how high it needs to skip.

All the stuff about discing down can be ignored for shots like this. What you want to do is try all of your discs, see how they skip and then pick the best one for the situation.

All the stuff about discing down can be ignored for shots like this. What you want to do is try all of your discs, see how they skip and then pick the best one for the situation.

This is it. I typically use a TeeRex X or even a Force for this shot and just power it way way way down. Super consistent.

I'll cast another vote for the zone. I switched to a zone recently in hopes of a shorter drone and got much, much more. This disc is so versatile and can be flexed, spiked, forehand rolled, forehanded, will skip well both FH and BH and can handle lots of power or easily work well with low power. I can skip a firebird with low power on a short line at low power, but not nearly as controlled as a zone.

I use my Champ Banshee or Evo Blaze for this shot. Not too fast, controllable and has a rim will skip every time.

Throws with my zone are usually followed by "BOOMSHAKALAKA".... I will however, reluctantly agree that a whippet might be good. Just not even close to as good as a zone, nope.

Latest posts