• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

A while back, maybe even buried somewhere in this thread, I read that someone had caught a group of picnicers using a basket as a BBQ. They had stuffed the basket full of charcoal and used the chains to hang their meat.

It was a funny story that I shrugged off and did not take too seriously until I saw a group attempt just this at Central Park in Brooklyn Park, MN. This guy was standing next to Hole #2, which is close but not too close to the pavilion, with a bag of charcoal and looking at the basket like he was trying to figure out how to use it as a grill. He finally backed away when he saw me on the teebox waving my disc and me yelling that I was ready to tee off.

You probably saw my post - The Asian family having a BBQ on old Hole #6 at Shillito park in Lexington.

Back in June, I stopped at Wills Park on my way to work at sunrise to get in a few holes. There was a guy wrapped up in his hammock asleep right near the basket on hole #3. Kinda freaked me out as I couldn't see him from the tee pad and my drive landed pretty close to him. He didn't move though and he didn't seem to wake up, so I just skipped the putt for that hole since I was only practicing anyway. I half wanted to slam the disc into the chains and see his startled reaction, but I decided I'd be nice and let him sleep. I'm not sure what he was doing there and I know that's not a designated camping area, but I figured I'd let it go.

two old hippies with little to no teeth that appeared to be naked siting in the creek with tallboys

turns out they were wearing swim-trunks and searching for discs though, they are now my new friends since I tend to lose discs where they tend to swim

One of my local courses is at a sports complex. There was obviously some kind of event happening, but I didn't think that much about it. I play the first seven holes pretty well. Hole 8 is the signature hole at this course with a water carry to a basket up on a hill. It pisses me off to lose plastic, so I'm taking my usual safe drop zone-upshot route. Walk up the hill which overlooks the field holes 9-13 and see a tent city sprouted up in the middle of my disc golf course! There were hundreds of them! This was not some company picnic or soccer-playing group you can manage to play around. There were RVs down #12's fairway. A couple trucks on 13.

Turns out it was a big group bicycling across NC. Maybe if I read a local paper I would have known, but just my luck. Hurricane Irene trashed a couple of the holes at this course, so I hadn't been there in a month and the one day I show up there's a traveling tent show set up.

Definitely something different than the usual semi-deserted course.

Okay... I'll share

It was march and I just teed off on 14 at Lakewood hills in mn. Which at that time was the last hole on the course. I threw it well over the green and into the tall reeds on the edge of a pond. So I went to retrieve my disc and the ice was a bit thin in that spot and.... In I went. all the way up to my waist.. My friends were literally rolling on the ground laughing!! I quickly jumped out and sprinted to my car and got home as fast as possible to shower.. It was effing freezing...

Beware of thin ice

Okay... I'll share

It was march and I just teed off on 14 at Lakewood hills in mn. Which at that time was the last hole on the course. I threw it well over the green and into the tall reeds on the edge of a pond. So I went to retrieve my disc and the ice was a bit thin in that spot and.... In I went. all the way up to my waist.. My friends were literally rolling on the ground laughing!! I quickly jumped out and sprinted to my car and got home as fast as possible to shower.. It was effing freezing...

Beware of thin ice

I've been in that pond far too many times!

I'd have to say the weirdest thing (it actually scared the sh*t out of me at first) was at Acorn park in Roseville, MN. I got to hole #13, set my bag on the bench and out of the corner of my eye was a MONSTER opossum! It was cold dead feet up in the air, tongue out and everything. This thing was the size of a full grown cocker spaniel! I poked it with a stick just to make sure it wasn't gonna ambush me when I threw, haha!

I had a funny thread a while ago, This was my story,

I was playing on a course near my home town, Auburn CA, and for the first 5 holes or so there were these three girls right ahead of us. They seemed to be shootin pretty good and they were really hot. We eventually caught up to them and they let us play through. We introduced ourselves and proceeded to shoot. Well after throwing my disc right into a tree:wall:, After my partner threw a halfway decent shot I had the grand idea to go up and shake there hands and say thank you and farewell, Well on the way over to them my foot caught on the strap on my bag, Tipped it over and EVERY disc proceeded to roll down the hill in different directions, I was going to laugh it off and as I did I blew a huge snot rocket out of my nose that landed on my lips and chin:sick:. As you can imagine I was horrified and just grabbed my chit and walked away. Every time I think about this incident I shudder.

^^^

I love that story. So glad it wasn't me. :eek: :D

I had a funny thread a while ago, This was my story,

I was playing on a course near my home town, Auburn CA, and for the first 5 holes or so there were these three girls right ahead of us. They seemed to be shootin pretty good and they were really hot. We eventually caught up to them and they let us play through. We introduced ourselves and proceeded to shoot. Well after throwing my disc right into a tree:wall:, After my partner threw a halfway decent shot I had the grand idea to go up and shake there hands and say thank you and farewell, Well on the way over to them my foot caught on the strap on my bag, Tipped it over and EVERY disc proceeded to roll down the hill in different directions, I was going to laugh it off and as I did I blew a huge snot rocket out of my nose that landed on my lips and chin:sick:. As you can imagine I was horrified and just grabbed my chit and walked away. Every time I think about this incident I shudder.

Oh, man, that is funny as hell
:hfive:

It would be too hard to go back and find, so would someone please tell the story again, of the disc taking out the bucket of KFC on the picnic table? That was one of the best stories ever posted

Found it pretty painlessly...

Originally Posted by CwAlbino
Was told the following story just over lunch break. I'll tell it like he told me.

There is a hole over in Plymouth, MN that has a blind basket. The hill crest is just past the teepad and then it goes downhill to the basket, and then to the right there is a bunch of picnic tables. I just ripped my drive over the hill and then ran up to the top of the hill to watch where it was landing. My drive was in the middle of the fairway so I was fine, and I turned to my buddy and told him to go. When he let go, he released with a TON of griplock, shanking the disc way off to the right. Completely ignorant of the situation at hand was a lady sitting by herself at a picnic table. She was on the phone, and looked like she was waiting for someone with a giant bucket of KFC chicken. I screamed "look out!" and "Fore!" a couple times, but she never heard me. The disc goes flying in and just takes out the bucket of chicken. Fried chicken parts go everywhere and the bucket lands empty on the ground. Completely shocked the lady just sits there and stares blankly at what was supposed to be her lunch....

Last edited:
MB love a story about KFC? No way! Ha

How are ya!?

Doing better. I hurt my back at work back around Memorial Day, and couldn't play for 9 weeks, but I am much better now. The wife just had a root canal, and she is not a happy camper right now, but she is feeling better.

Latest posts