• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holy Shank Batman!!

Not my worst shank... but my only one on film. Easier to see in HD/Full Screen.

Adding insult to injury, I missed the putt.

My worst couple have been at the Woodshed in Paw Paw. Lost two different Valkyries. One on #9 and one on #13. Both times the tee shot went way farther than I could normally throw at the time... unfortunately, that's because they went at least 45 degrees off line to the right, never to be found again. :(

Last edited:
When we first started disc golf, I grip locked like crazy and almost took my dad's head off! He was back to the right and I nailed his hat bill from like 15 feet! Barely missed his face.

I played in my first tournament last Friday and I was about to take my first shot on the first hole. Don't ask me why, but for some reason I thought I'd try doing a backhand than a flick shot (which I always do) and I shanked it hard right into the bush. I think after the initial embarassment it helped calm me down and I played quite well after that. :p

Was playing a round at youth park with pokamitch and he griplocks it and toss it into the garbage right beside the tee. Hilarious!

Just last weekend I threw the longest drive of my life. Unfortunately I shanked hard to the left and into the woods. This was during a tournament so everyone saw AND to make it worse, while I was in the woods looking for it, a few guys were helping me and saw me about crap my pants when a ground hog started running my way.

I was trying out my OHFH shot and I over rotated and missed seth.warwas buy a foot or two the other day. It's been a long time since I've shanked a normal shot.

OHFH = Overhand Forehand if you don't know, I can't explain it.

Last summer, epic bag tag round and the course founder had just birdied #5 at J-Park........ he steps up to the 6th tee and griplocks one that goes 90 degrees right of the pin. He's been playing WAY longer than I have(he's got a LOW 4-digit PDGA#).

The tee is pocketed into some woods and he never made it out. It ended up about 100ft right(out of the pic) in some pretty thick, thorny crap.

We took a couple friends out to Lenora Park so they could try out disc golf. This course is wide open and a great starter course.

Hole 7 is the longest on the course and also the flattest and is 431 feet. It has an OB path on the right and behind the basket. Beyond the path and a mega shank would be on the road.

John was throwing around 300' on his first round...2nd degree black belt and all...

I handed him a Valk to try out. He griplocks high and throws over the road and the end point in red is approximately where the disc landed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• johns shank.jpg
    johns shank.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 51
Pease Park, Austin Texas, August 2010, 95 deg. I walked 2 mi from down town to the park.

I'm wore out already on hole 9. There's a decent head wind so I'll throw my Crush.
Sailed the thing into the far lane of 4-lane traffic.

Cars and trucks at 50 mph running over it.... it can't come to rest due to the breeze from the traffic. Damn thing has my name/number on it. Very lucky it didn't cause an accident.

Finally the traffic died down and I sprinted across the road. Only a little nic off the rim. It still throws good.

A friend of mine has some of the most memorable shanks I can recall.

on #18 at Sportsman Hill DGC in Clearwater, MN he goes to tee off, grip locks it, and sends it flying hard to the left over the rough in onto #17. That same round, and I can't remember which hole it was, he threw backwards. I didn't think it was possible until he did that.

He also manage to lose a disc at Mill Stream park in St. Joseph MN by shanking it off the tee and watched it just carry and land somewhere deep out in a swamp.

My friend who for some reason only throws sidearm and most of the time they are rollers. Was trying to throw a roller on hole 4 Anna Page Park West Course. He hits a tree that no one thought was possible to hit right off of the pad. It bounces backwards into this gully that is surrounded by trees. Takes him three shots to get past the pad. And yeah I was laughing hard!

I was trying out my OHFH shot and I over rotated and missed seth.warwas buy a foot or two the other day. It's been a long time since I've shanked a normal shot.

OHFH = Overhand Forehand if you don't know, I can't explain it.
Yeah I think I remember that wizing past my head.

My fiance actually hit a car behind her and to the right at Arboretum Spiker hole 1. Luckily she doesnt throw hard enough to do any damage.

I always claim that its safer to stand directly in front of her than to her right.

Damn that's pretty bad hahah, makes me feel better about my girls game :D

Hole 14 at Arboretum I flipped my buzz and it kept cruising dead straight...went past the basket, over the road, and into the driveway of the people who live across the street. Landed right under a car they had parked, luckily there was no damage.

Also when I had only played for a month or two, I threw a DX Wraith on hole 17, flipped it bad, and hit a car driving down the road. Bounced off the road then hit the bottom of the car, so no damage, and the dude was cool about it...but still.... *shakes head* What was I doing, flipping a wraith at 200' out....hahah...

Famous last words. One of my buds steps up to the tee pad and anounces "I'll show you how it's done!" He winds up and uncorks a mighty drive 90º to the right, over the woods, and out of the course! We didn't even try to find it!

I was at a local course one time trying to practice my pull through and sent one flying 90 degrees right and into a plexi-glass window leaving one h3ll of a smudge. Thank God it was plexi-glass..