• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how do you throw?

I'll probably throw a Leopard with some hyzer to get it to flip up but still have a bit of hyzer... so yeah. Throw a hyzer.

I'm still trying to develop better consistency with my backhand, and I'm still trying to work on the general control of my forehand (I tend to anhyzer when I want to hyzer and hyzer when I want to anhyzer :wall:), so I tend to throw the Hammer (some people call this Tomahawk).

I hammer off the tee, I hammer my mid ranges, and I can even putt that way (although not with a putter :confused:).
I tend to try and keep it relatively low to the ground unless I'm going up hill (keep in mind that by relatively low I mean about 20-25 feet but diving down after the initial throw as opposed to falling - it's virtually impossible to throw a full power shot over your head without putting it somewhat high at first.) so that when my disc makes contact with the ground it still has a lot of forward momentum - this will allow the disc to skip off the ground about 150-250 feet out (depending on how far I want to throw) and then bounce another 50-100 feet.

The other reason I throw like this is I play almost exclusively in the woods, and the hammer is a great way to avoid hitting trees, since you can make it fly almost entirely straight if desired, or wrap around trees for shorter throws once you get closer to the pin.

I use this tactic all the time to layup to the basket - a standard throw from 200+ feet away might miss the basket and sail past it another 50' or more. From 200' I just toss the hammer 80% of the way there and let it slide along the ground until I'm sitting pretty right underneath the basket. I may miss some opportunities to hit long putts from here, but I'm playing the percentages here.

Last edited:
Star Valkyrie. Flat and right at the pin with an easy arm and a good snap. Then let the Valkyrie's

slow and graceful "S" turn park it.

Hyzer is always the most reliable so if we are talking simply the leasy ammount of variables possible. As far as what disc, I would love to say Teebird on that hyzer, but I typically dont try to throw 100% but rather more controlled and relaxed, so 80% distance of that, I might be using the Hornet on a sweeping hyzer.

that.

I throw RHBH and would toss a hyzer maybe getting a little height on it
15-20ft with a little skip into the basket if everything goes right...haha

Depends on the wind. But most of the time I will just throw my Champ Xcal on a big hyzer, since its more consistent than throwing a hyszer flip.

I've been favoring hyzer-flips (BH) lately with slightly understable plastic or beat-in stable discs like P PD's and Champ 12x Teebirds. It seems easier on my arm and it just feels like I don't have to throw as hard to get similar distance compared to more stable/overstable discs. They also go straighter with less skip at the end.

This, except w/ Nukes, Katanas, seasoned Destroyers, Roadrunners. It is definitely easier on the arm & seems far more accurate. Plus watching that flight pattern is quite entertaining :)

when you guys say hyzer do you mean hyzer all the way or hyzer to flat then fade. to reach 80% of max distance with a hyzer that doesnt pop flat then you would have to throw it quite high and real far right rhbh.

Depends on the wind. But most of the time I will just throw my Champ Xcal on a big hyzer, since its more consistent than throwing a hyszer flip.

Which way is the wind blowing? That determines which shot i'm going to throw.

Yeah, wind is the most important. But usually I just throw a slight anny flex since it's my most OATless throw and I like to S-curve my way to the basket.

I'm still trying to develop better consistency with my backhand, and I'm still trying to work on the general control of my forehand (I tend to anhyzer when I want to hyzer and hyzer when I want to anhyzer :wall:), so I tend to throw the Hammer (some people call this Tomahawk).

I hammer off the tee, I hammer my mid ranges, and I can even putt that way (although not with a putter :confused:).
I tend to try and keep it relatively low to the ground unless I'm going up hill (keep in mind that by relatively low I mean about 20-25 feet but diving down after the initial throw as opposed to falling - it's virtually impossible to throw a full power shot over your head without putting it somewhat high at first.) so that when my disc makes contact with the ground it still has a lot of forward momentum - this will allow the disc to skip off the ground about 150-250 feet out (depending on how far I want to throw) and then bounce another 50-100 feet.

The other reason I throw like this is I play almost exclusively in the woods, and the hammer is a great way to avoid hitting trees, since you can make it fly almost entirely straight if desired, or wrap around trees for shorter throws once you get closer to the pin.

I use this tactic all the time to layup to the basket - a standard throw from 200+ feet away might miss the basket and sail past it another 50' or more. From 200' I just toss the hammer 80% of the way there and let it slide along the ground until I'm sitting pretty right underneath the basket. I may miss some opportunities to hit long putts from here, but I'm playing the percentages here.

this just made me laugh out loud at work! hammer time!

Hyzer is always the most reliable so if we are talking simply the least amount of variables possible.

Just to play Devil's advocate, what if you're accustomed to throwing really flippy discs that never fade, wouldn't an anhyzer have the least amount of variables then?

Maybe because I throw flippy discs straight, but even though I constantly hear it stated, I don't see how hyzer is the safest shot.

When I need to throw straight, I think...absolutly nothing- I just throw it straight.
A hyzer however, I have to account for how far it need to bow right, where its gonna land, and if its gonna skip.

I'm not ignorant, I see plenty of good players execute hyzers all day. At the same time, I see plenty of ams not getting enough turn, not getting enough d, too much hyzer on release...basically a short shot that's left into the woods. Is that really better then straight on the fairway?

straight and flat at a point just to the right of the pin and hope i get enough snap to generate some high speed turn so it fades back on-line at the end

Straight at it, whenever possible. Everything else is giving up. =)

Plus it looks sooooooooo much nicer than a hyzer route. Lower percentage shot but meh.

A hyzer however, I have to account for how far it need to bow right, where its gonna land, and if its gonna skip.
As opposed to a straight shot where you have to worry about not flipping it enough or flipping it too much or throwing too low and coming up short or too high and going long or getting more or less fade than you anticipated. There are variables in all shots, there just happen to be fewer of them on hyzers.

I'm not ignorant, I see plenty of good players execute hyzers all day. At the same time, I see plenty of ams not getting enough turn, not getting enough d, too much hyzer on release...basically a short shot that's left into the woods. Is that really better then straight on the fairway?
If you aren't proficient at any shot it will look like a worse choice.

However, if you are proficient at both straight and hyzer shots you'll probably find that the hyzer shot is more reliable. There are just a lot of AMs out there who haven't worked on their hyzer shots enough to see the benefit. It's not a horribly difficult shot to throw if you throw clean. A lot of those same AMs also learned by throwing discs that were too fast and don't throw clean so controlling hyzers is difficult for them.

Latest posts