• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Fast or Slow do you Play?

How fast or slow do you play?

• Speedy Gonzales

Votes: 85 43.8%
  • Neither the fastest, nor the slowest

Votes: 93 47.9%
  • One of the slowest in my group

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • Tortoise Speed

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
mostly play solo, so I usually clock a round pretty darn fast. once a week I play with my 80+ yr old dad, and we let a lot of people play through, usually digging on my dad and telling him how cool he is to be out playing. he likes it.....

Didn't know which way to vote..I typically don't take long at all to line up and throw. However, I walk very slow, volunteer to be b.o.b. so people aren't waiting at the next tee. Poor balance makes me take a few attempts to get into a putting stance.

I played ball golf for 40 years, always walking and carrying often playing with guys riding carts. As a result, I developed habits that I have carried over to disc golf.

Most of the time, I start walking as soon as the last guy throws off the tee and mostly walk ahead by myself, lost in my own thoughts. Around the basket, I encourage others to finish up if they want and don't get caught up in deciding if you are 25' out vs. my being 24' out or whatever - if you are ready to go then go for it, and I am always ready to throw when it is my turn.

I play MPG in tournaments and we are usually pretty quick as a group, but my cards are often faster than most and it's not unusual for us to have 2-3 open holes behind us by the time the round is finishing up.

The guy I play most of my casual rounds with also prefers to play quickly, so we can play a lot of rounds in a day when we set our minds to it. Solo rounds are rare but extremely fast as well.

So, yeah - Speedy Gonzales here.

Shot selection, what disc to use, actually moving through the course, I'm usually all business and very efficient.

But when it comes to actually making the throw or putt, I'm more of a Nate Sexton. I'm deliberate and think through my form and visualize my shot before I execute, usually with at least one dry run.

This is pretty much exactly me. Most of my rounds are tourney rounds or competitive action ($) rounds with my golf buddies.
I pretty much always know what disc I will be throwing, the line I am throwing, and I move through the course pretty quickly. I am often first to walk down the fairway once people have all drove and generally keep a quick pace.
However, I utilize my time on the tee pad, and my time before my shots and putts to focus. Tee pad I usually do two practice 'swings' from the end of the teepad, focusing far down the fairway at my intended target, seeing the line I want the disc to fly. I don't do practice run ups, just stand still and swing.
Upshots are generally quicker, unless ive found myself in a tricky spot.
Putts, I doubt I take a full 30 sec, but im def not quick. I usually like to walk the distance off if it is in the 25-40 foot range and gauge the wind at the basket. Return to my lie, get set, 2-3 practice 'swings', and then deliver. Even inside 25 feet, I will still get set at my lie, focus, practice swing, then deliver. I would say I am a 90% putter inside the circle, and probably 80-85% out to 60 feet.

I use about 40 minutes to play a typical 18 hole layout when I play solo. I spend more time on putts than on drives and upshots. Sometimes I play with a friend who is soooo damn slow, an 18 hole course takes about 2.5h when I play with him lol

Pretty fast. It's just what I'm used to at this point. The group I started with was extremely quick and it just stuck.

Pretty fast. I mostly play on courses, or at times, when there aren't many other people, so can play at whatever pace. By the time I arrive at my lie, or the next tee, I almost always know exactly what disc I'm going to throw, and how. I also find myself racing daylight a fair amount of the time.

Except that it takes me a lot more throws that other people.

But it doesn't matter. I can play at tournament pace, or with a sixsome, without a problem.

I did get chastised by a visitor I was guiding around---afterwards, online---for making him feel rushed, when my intent was not to waste his time.

How dare you assume his time was valuable!!!

Okay.....disappearing posts. Lol

I range between 45 min to an hour on an 18 hole playing solo. I usually take a 10 min break after the front 9 if im playing my home course. Ive found i play at about the same speed as two average guys moving at a good pace. It doesnt seem all that "fast" while im playing, but i feel like im keeping an intentionally steady pace to stay in the zone. I guess it depends on if im feeling focused and agressive or relaxed and clear minded.

I play pretty fast. I hate stagnation. Pace of play is what steered me away from competitive play. I get iced if I am inert.

Agree with you Thug. Most of my buddies play tourneys or doubles and when they talk about how long the round takes, it makes it clear to me that competitive disc is just not for me.

My friends and I have found that it's about 45 minutes per person for 18. So, with two of us, an hour and a half, with three of us, a bit over two hours. We don't lose many discs and we try to focus on what we're doing with not a lot of extraneous conversation. Some, but not a lot. I find that I play better if I don't have too much time between shots.

I play at a steady speed but don't mess around too much. I don't drink or smoke when I'm playing which seems to be a slow down/distraction for a lot of people that I play with. I tend to take a little time for my shots but don't mess around walking up the fairway or waiting to address my own lie.

When I play solo I get through a long 18 in around an hour. When I play in leagues I just walk up and throw - longer I take to play the more I overthink my shot.