• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Fast or Slow do you Play?

How fast or slow do you play?

• Speedy Gonzales

Votes: 85 43.8%
  • Neither the fastest, nor the slowest

Votes: 93 47.9%
  • One of the slowest in my group

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • Tortoise Speed

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
I don't get the fascination with playing fast in disc golf, anyway. I'm in the park for fun. Why do I need to be in such a damn hurry for my fun to be over?

I don't know about fascination, but perhaps a touch of ADHD.

On a familiar course I tend to arrive at the tee, or my lie, knowing what I'm going to throw, and how I'm going to throw it. I rarely spend much time pondering that---except a really bad lie, which isn't quite so rare for me, or uncertain winds.

I know people who savor their rounds....stories to be told on the tee, and they carry so much stuff they sort of set up camp at their lie. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't get the fascination with playing fast in disc golf, anyway. I'm in the park for fun. Why do I need to be in such a damn hurry for my fun to be over?

I don't personally want to race through the course. I like to play at a steady pace. Waiting on the tee wrecks my rhythm. I've watched numerous people stroll so slowly getting to their disc or the next tee I've wanted to shoot myself. And resting on a bench every few holes? Heck, on most courses we walk less than two miles, who need to rest that many times?

Fat people, like me. :D

I look at it like I've got time for 1 really slow round, 1 and a half medium paced rounds, or 2 very quick rounds. I'd rather get 2 very quick rounds in.

two reasons.

i can play two rounds fast or one round slow, i choose more rounds.

i play better when i play fast.

When I'm alone and want to get more throws in, I just tee twice and play out both throws. It saves me time and makes me use more of my bag i.e. I already threw the disc I'd usually throw from the other lie so I throw the backup. I figure I'm not backing up the course anymore than a group of 2 or 3. That way I don't have to try to run around the course twice. I do that a lot when a course has two sets of tees and I want to check out both.

When I'm alone and want to get more throws in, I just tee twice and play out both throws. It saves me time and makes me use more of my bag i.e. I already threw the disc I'd usually throw from the other lie so I throw the backup. I figure I'm not backing up the course anymore than a group of 2 or 3. That way I don't have to try to run around the course twice. I do that a lot when a course has two sets of tees and I want to check out both.

I prefer the extra walking. If I throw more than 1 disc it increases my chance of leaving one behind.

I prefer the extra walking. If I throw more than 1 disc it increases my chance of leaving one behind.
If you leave one, you don't have a score from that disc. I've never had a problem with leaving one behind doing this.

I'm usually the first guy walking down the fairway after everyone tees off and the first guy to the next tee after we hole out. In solo rounds, I've never been passed. I like a fast pace. It keeps my mind on what I'm doing (disc golf). I can focus better when I don't have time to look around, get in conversations or think about anything not related to disc golf. I've played a lot of solo rounds. They are how I improved my game the most, by getting to know my form and how to manipulate my body to compensate for errors during a round. I always play my best rounds alone for this reason.

This doesn't mean I don't like playing with the group. They're great guys and are fun to hang around with. It's also fun to compete, give each other a little hell and laugh during a round. Our "Disc Golf Weekend #19" is next month in east Texas on the way to Louisiana. I'm looking forward to it.

If you leave one, you don't have a score from that disc. I've never had a problem with leaving one behind doing this.

I don't even keep score. I play for the joy of being outside, getting a little exercise, and chucking circles in the woods.
I used to be super competitive about everything and it caused me a lot of stress. I am trying to abolish stress from my life. I still get stressed at work so when I am off, I avoid it at all costs.

I don't even keep score. I play for the joy of being outside, getting a little exercise, and chucking circles in the woods.
I used to be super competitive about everything and it caused me a lot of stress. I am trying to abolish stress from my life. I still get stressed at work so when I am off, I avoid it at all costs.

It's always interesting to see/hear other perspectives. I love intense competition, and it is in fact my preferred method of relieving stress.

My favorite rounds are tournament rounds, as the enjoyment for me is greatest when there is something on the line. Even in casual rounds, I relish beating everyone on the card (although I try never to show it). I play some solo rounds, but not very often - just isn't as much fun.

It's always interesting to see/hear other perspectives. I love intense competition, and it is in fact my preferred method of relieving stress.

My favorite rounds are tournament rounds, as the enjoyment for me is greatest when there is something on the line. Even in casual rounds, I relish beating everyone on the card (although I try never to show it). I play some solo rounds, but not very often - just isn't as much fun.

Most of my buddies like the competitive aspect of the game. They have just come to understand that I could care less about winning.

I generally compete against myself and the course. I look at every hole as a separate round and I can only have 3 scores- win (bird or better), tie (par), lose (bogey or worse). Once a round (hole) is done, I don't think about it anymore. I have no carry over frustration/ stress or elation to distract me from trying to "win" the next hole.

My good buddy that taught me how to throw properly can get so frustrated when he throws a poor shot that I look at his anger/ frustration and say to myself "self that is why i don't keep score".

There was an incident early on in my disc playing "career" playing at Leigh Farm in Durham on hole 4 (637' now back then it was over 700') where i hit so many trees that i freaked out cussing and shouting. I realized later how ridiculous it was to get so upset but that was my nature when being competitive. So I took the competition out of it.

I never get angry anymore. If I have a bad shot, oh well, I'll try to do better the next time.

I didn't keep score for almost an entire year. then I decided I'd ALWAYS keep score. even though I usually play alone, I'm enjoying keeping score more. it challenges/pushes me in a different way, and I feel less sloppy with my play. to each their own, for sure....

I like to play fast. I like the movement and hate to wait. I dont usually throw a large variety of different discs so most of the time before i finish walking to my shot I know what I'm gonna throw and I don't take much time before the actual throw.

The stupid sun is probably going to give me enough skin cancer as it is. I don't want to spend a second too long out there. And I used to play all my rounds near sundown. Now my life's been flipped upside down and I play in the mornings well after sunrise. The heat sucks all the fun out of the round.

I play quick except in a tournament. Then the only time I play quick is when I'm stewing about how bad I played the last hole.

Latest posts