• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i want to play the 10 oldest courses. what are they?

I maintain a list of the oldest courses at DG Resources.

Dave Dunipace of Innova has claimed that La Mirada was #2. After that it is impossible to know definitively which one was #3 and following.

It looks like your list is missing NE Lion's Park in Norman in 1977, co-designed by Ed and me. It's definitely older than Will Roger Park in 1978 in OKc, co-designed by Ed and Stan Lester.

Looks like it's missing Adler Park as well, whose DGCR pages claims 1978. I forget what we concluded about Adler earlier in the thread - but it seems like that last at DG Resources could usefully incorporate info from this thread!

This is pretty cool. I just bagged my 100th and oldest course on Monday, Green Lakes State Park. It was a treat to play something designed by Steady Ed. I've been wondering how much, if any, it's changed over the years.

Some older courses I know of:
Ken Caryl and Johnny Roberts courses in Denver, CO by Steady Ed are listed as 1978
Cedars of Lebanon in TN is listed as 1979
Roscoe Ewing in Akron, OH by Steady Ed is listed as 1977 (but many changes have been made since)

Roscoe is in Medina, not Akron

White Birch DGC outside of St. Louis was established in 1979, oldest in Missouri.

So I'm trying to come up with some attainable goals to work toward and while playing at oak grove a couple weeks ago I thought it would be cool to play the 10 or 15 oldest courses. I know oak grove was the 1st course ever and huntington beach is 2nd I think. Anybody know where it goes from there?

what would be really cool is to play the first course installed in each state.

Leonard park in Mt Kisco, NY is a Steady Ed course. It's been mentioned earlier, it's old, it's fun to play, and looks like some of the baskets are original.

But...Not for long. Our local club, WeDGE (Westchester Disc Golf Enthusiasts) is raising money for new baskets.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I mean the baskets are really bad. Some have been replaced- a long time ago, and one is still missing (14 and 20 share the same basket). But that's part of the character of the place. And it's never crowded. Even if the park is crowded with summer camp kids the course plays back up in the woods and you rarely come across other people.

With 18 or 21 shiny new baskets it will definitely be an awesome course but it won't be the same. But then again maybe that's how the original players felt about changing from tone poles to baskets. Anyway, if you're thinking of playing Leonard Park and want to do it before the change you've probably got a year.

Didn't know I'd played a Steady Ed course until I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to see how old a course in Springfield, MO was that I knew was old... just didn't realize how old... 1979!

Oak Grove Park

White Birch DGC outside of St. Louis was established in 1979, oldest in Missouri.

I've actually heard that the Albert Oakland Front course in Columbia is the oldest in Missouri. White Birch, Oak Grove and AO Front all have 1979 install dates.

what would be really cool is to play the first course installed in each state.
Kind of the problem is that feat is going to be impossible as some of those don't exist anymore.

The Omaha Park in Rapid City South Dakota is was from 1978-1979 sometime in there the course was made. that is Oldest in either Dakota. It currently is/was under construction to replace the odd homemade baskets from 1980. Before 1980 they used wooden posts with a line to hit above on that course according to the Disc course board. Course might still be under construction to replace the baskets with modern ones.

Here is the link to the PDGA list of oldest courses by state:

https://www.pdga.com/course-directories-and-earliest-disc-golf-courses

Neat!

For Michigan, they list Flip City as 1980 for basket installation. I'm pretty sure it was the late 1990's when Bill put his baskets in. His painted numbers on object targets (trees) were still there. I definitely played there in 1998 and remember discussing the new baskets.

They were Mach V or Chainstar baskets (I can't ever seem to tell the difference at a glance), which certainly weren't around in 1980.

I had an opportunity to play Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville, AL this April. It's a very old, beautiful short course set within a small forest or large grove of pines. The fairways and tee pads are not well marked, so it's a mystery to follow the map. Fortunately, I played with a local who could describe the line for each preferred shot through the maze of tall pine trunks. We had loads of fun. I read that this was the 2nd oldest chain basket course in the U.S., but here is the quote from the DCGR page on it:

HISTORY - According to the PDGA, this is one the first courses to have the chain baskets in the world, somewhere between 3rd and 5th. A Steady Ed and Tom Monroe creation back in 1976. This notice by itself, makes Brahan Springs a destination course.

Highly recommend. PG