• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s. Also, this may the inappropriate place to post this, so if you can recommend a better place for this post, please let me know.

Different dates for different molds, some still have patent numbers (Leo & Rancho Roc come to mind). For collectors, it's the stamp that usually matters and for throwers, whatever works for you. For example, champ and star TLs got stiff and slick a few years back (some like that, I don't) and now they're flexible and grippy again. I won't buy the stiff era so unless it's a pfn star, which predates the run I don't care for, I'd have to get my hands on it to know for sure.

Different dates for different molds, some still have patent numbers (Leo & Rancho Roc come to mind). For collectors, it's the stamp that usually matters and for throwers, whatever works for you. For example, champ and star TLs got stiff and slick a few years back (some like that, I don't) and now they're flexible and grippy again. I won't buy the stiff era so unless it's a pfn star, which predates the run I don't care for, I'd have to get my hands on it to know for sure.

Yeah, I know there are some that still have pat numbers on them and you even get some preflight stock that gets released to this day. I am not really talking about that. I am more interested in the majority of stuff. It should be easy to tell with popular sellers like maybe the Boss, Wraith, and Destroyer for flight numbers sense they are produced often. I guess if anyone can tell me if there are any Pre Avery Destroyers with #'? Also, any Avery Destroyers with Pat #'s? This will help narrow the timeline down the best.

Ah, Destroyers.

Since most ams can't power up a Destroyer that's true to the numbers, they search for the less stable runs. IMHO, a dog chasing its tail.

My 2 cents of advice is get beat to hell Destroyers (they're cheap too) or go with a slower, lighter, and/or a different mold.

Ah, Destroyers.

Since most ams can't power up a Destroyer that's true to the numbers, they search for the less stable runs. IMHO, a dog chasing its tail.

My 2 cents of advice is get beat to hell Destroyers (they're cheap too) or go with a slower, lighter, and/or a different mold.

I was just using Destroyers as a way of dating the markings, since the mold gets run often and would most likely have plenty of people out there with them. I am not looking to get any per se.

Innova metal flake distance driver, thick rim definetly speed 12-13. Not the best quality of photos but would really love to know what it is.

Attachments

• MF Top.jpg
    MF Top.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32
  • MF Rim down.jpg
    MF Rim down.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
  • MF Rim up.jpg
    MF Rim up.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 26
This is more confusing than it first appears.

Well,

A lot depends on the mold and or model of the disc and where it was made. As for the patent expiration I believe it was back in around 2012. I have a few disc from tournaments where patent number went missing that year. Not all molds changed at the same time. Patent numbers and flight numbers exist on some molds at the same time to this day.

For example:

I have xCals with both a patent number and flight numbers. I have others with one or the other. New product has no patent number now.

2 line Avery's come with and without patent numbers. I have both. I never seen a 3 line with patent numbers but that does not mean they don't exist.

The DX Stud has both a patent number and flight number and that is a recent disc.

KC Roc I just got, has both. I have never come across a new one that does not have both.

So if you are looking for a disc and a patent number is important, don't start with the stamp, flip it over and see if it's there.

One other item which I believe has impacted when Innova changes its molds or tools or cavities, is the cost. I used to work in that area with my company inspecting injection molded products and we used a company called Nypro. A new cavity(mold) ran us over 100K to produce, so we ran them until to tolerance ran out and we had to produce a new one. I don't know their cost but I expect it is not cheap.

Sorry to add to your confusion. My date is a guess based on a few discs I got during the 2012 season. It was the first year I have any real proof.

Good luck

So I am trying to put together a list with different dates of Innova plastic and markings. I have most of what I need, but would like some confirmation about the dates for when Flight #'s were first printed on the discs and when Pat #'s removed. I know it is around 09 or 10 for Flight #'s but no real idea about the Pat #'s. Also, this may the inappropriate place to post this, so if you can recommend a better place for this post, please let me know.

Innova metal flake distance driver, thick rim definetly speed 12-13. Not the best quality of photos but would really love to know what it is.

Have you compared it to anything yet? Does it have any penned characters on the back? How does it fly? If I knew more about these I would be able to accurately ID the disc.

e1e09690e54928caac38cbf239e44a79.jpg

Found this a while back, haven't seen another. Not sure exactly what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this a while back, haven't seen another. Not sure exactly what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That appears to be a Proline Gremlin. That is an out of production midrange from Innova. Later after Innova stopped producing it, Discmania "produced" it for a while. And by "produced", I mean they paid Innova to have Innova do the molding of the disc using Innova's old mold.

This disc was probably from around 2003 or 2004 based on it being Proline, which was basically what Champion plastic was called in the transition period from CE to Champion. This is more about naming and less about the blend of plastic, as most, if not all, the "Champ like" plastic from this era are the same. There were just different names for what it was called. Now take this info with a grain of salt as I was not playing back then and am only passing along info as I understand it.

Hey, I played that tourney! I think the metal flake discs stamped with that tourney stamp were Destroyers. Unless my memory is failing me.

Can anyone help with this disc? I think it's a Lat 64 Pure, but I'm not positive.

First, it is likely to have the name of the mold "engraved/embossed" on the bottom of the disc near the nipple. Second, showing just the top and bottom is going to yield little but guesses from people. We need to see a better pic of the profile to look at the wing and maybe a closeup of the bottom of the wing/rim, but not from the inside looking out, but outside looking in. Come back with more to work with and I am sure there is someone who can help.

Edit, I don't see the engraving, so it probably precedes when LAT started doing that. Even more reason for a better profile pics.

Last edited:
First, it is likely to have the name of the mold "engraved/embossed" on the bottom of the disc near the nipple. Second, showing just the top and bottom is going to yield little but guesses from people. We need to see a better pic of the profile to look at the wing and maybe a closeup of the bottom of the wing/rim, but not from the inside looking out, but outside looking in. Come back with more to work with and I am sure there is someone who can help.

Edit, I don't see the engraving, so it probably precedes when LAT started doing that. Even more reason for a better profile pics.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping someone might recognize the design, because I haven't seen it before.

I took some more pictures of the profile and rim, hopefully these will be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping someone might recognize the design, because I haven't seen it before.

I took some more pictures of the profile and rim, hopefully these will be helpful.

Those are excellent pictures, and I would actually point to them as how to take pictures for this kind of question. I am sure someone who know Lat 64 stuff will be able to identify it from those.

The reason I mentioned nothing earlier about the image, is that it is likely a Dyemax image, which means it could theoretically be hundreds of discs including non Trilogy ones. I am pretty sure there are non Trilogy discs with the Dyemax images before DD stopped selling other companies discs.

Those are excellent pictures, and I would actually point to them as how to take pictures for this kind of question. I am sure someone who know Lat 64 stuff will be able to identify it from those.

The reason I mentioned nothing earlier about the image, is that it is likely a Dyemax image, which means it could theoretically be hundreds of discs including non Trilogy ones. I am pretty sure there are non Trilogy discs with the Dyemax images before DD stopped selling other companies discs.

I appreciate the help getting some good pictures up. I didn't realize that Dyemax was done on other brands, this makes it a lot more challenging.

It looks like a trilogy disc and I think that it has Lat64 molded around the center of the disc.

I just wanted to note that on the bottom of the disc it is stamped saying "Latitude 64", "Made in Sweden" and the disc weight "175g". Not sure if this helps.

Pdga stamped dx rancho. It looks like it has years of dirt on it but nary a scratch anywhere on it. The pdga logo is embossed-type effect.
http://imgur.com/a/3wlw8

Curious how old it may or may not be.

Last edited:
I appreciate the help getting some good pictures up. I didn't realize that Dyemax was done on other brands, this makes it a lot more challenging.

I just wanted to note that on the bottom of the disc it is stamped saying "Latitude 64", "Made in Sweden" and the disc weight "175g". Not sure if this helps.

I think you are right that it is likely a Pure, and it definitely is a Lat 64 putter. But it may another beside the Pure. But what I was saying, is the dyemax image can be put on all Star/Fuzion/Tournament/Goldline type plastic. I am not sure if it was done on non Trilogy discs, but I know Dynamic used to stamp non Dynamic Discs with the DD name or logo (I have two Wizards that are stamped Dynamic Disc just like a Bar Stamped Judge would). So it stands to reason they could have done dyemax on other manufacturers discs also, but I am not positive.

Latest posts