• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Thank you for reminding me,this is the URL to the database; https://www.svenskdiscgolf.se/discdb/

In my favorites now, thanks for that info.

Also found out that a guy after the one Frank Aquilera who set distance record in 1984 with Aero in USA, an Australian Michael Canci with a Lighting disc: P-38 Lighting the original mold set the distance record in 1987.

Just due to the site, I knew about the Frank guy due to reading up on early beveled edged discs but did not know it took a few years before the record was broken.

Rhyno- is this DX or ? Pro?

Got this Rhyno for Christmas. It's really flexible, unlike other DX discs I have. What plastic have I got? It's similar flexibility to Star, not as much as Gstar though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• E1A853CB-0BFD-4A79-A15A-C0A7FD8D1123.jpg
    E1A853CB-0BFD-4A79-A15A-C0A7FD8D1123.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 145
I've put my hands on some older really flexible DX plastic. I love it. It beats up like DX, but keeps its flight path unlike DX.

DX plastic can vary the same as premium plastics. The stiffness and grip usually changes between runs. I prefer DX to be fairly stiff with a chalky grip.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the color can factor in as well?

It seems every white DX disc I have encountered is usually pretty hard and stiff and almost a little slick. I have reds and oranges that always seem to be a little more flexible and grippy. I don't have any experience with anything blue.

It just seems to me that even within the same run the colors will each have a slightly different feel and stiffness.

Am I just crazy?

It seems every white DX disc I have encountered is usually pretty hard and stiff and almost a little slick. I have reds and oranges that always seem to be a little more flexible and grippy. I don't have any experience with anything blue.

It just seems to me that even within the same run the colors will each have a slightly different feel and stiffness.

Am I just crazy?

My experience is similar, might be that they get some KC pro/XT/R-Pro which is pre-colored and just mix a bit in with the regular DX. I've also found the white DX generally has a stiffer blend as well (like the normal Classic Aviar blend). I also think Innova may mix up the base plastic (D-line/D-blend/DT) a bit differently for each of the other brands they manufacture for.
Could be intentional differences for each blend for a class of mold (putters/mids/drivers) or certain colors cause fragility and they make them softer?

@OP - I have a few DX Rhynos that likely had a bit of R-Pro thrown in. Some of my favorites for fall/winter/early spring putting.

I bought 4 X-Comets and one was in Yellow. By far it had the best feel of the group. Slightly softer with better grip.

Until I threw it in a pond. :\

In one of Paul and Brodie's early "building the bag" videos, Paul pointed out that color effects stability, but I'm not on that level to tell the differences. I'm sure others here can though.

Found this guy at PIAS so took a flyer. Pfn, pat number. Rim is bigger than a Beast...any ideas?

Not sure why the orientation of the pics rotated???

Attachments

• 20210109_151320.jpg
    20210109_151320.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210109_151336.jpg
    20210109_151336.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210109_151409.jpg
    20210109_151409.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 30
Got this Rhyno for Christmas. It's really flexible, unlike other DX discs I have. What plastic have I got? It's similar flexibility to Star, not as much as Gstar though.

attachment.php

My thought with the DX Rhyno if you have the DX that the 2018 and newer Dragon discs have, that will be the stiff R-Pro feel in a DX plastic. If not you got the older DX Dragon plastic that has a layer of wax on said disc. It should feel like the old DX Hydra discs.

Last edited:
I bought 4 X-Comets and one was in Yellow. By far it had the best feel of the group. Slightly softer with better grip.

Until I threw it in a pond. :\

In one of Paul and Brodie's early "building the bag" videos, Paul pointed out that color effects stability, but I'm not on that level to tell the differences. I'm sure others here can though.

With some plastics and/or molds, one or both of these the color can affect a disc but not in stability from what I have found but in stiffness in that style of the same plastic. Same for some plastic having less Stiff plastic some if ending up flat top due to the softer plastic will be more OS as well. It depends on the mold and plastic. It is often the more intense the color often the more stiff a disc is. This tends to be mostly for Innova Disc molds more then other brands.

Also how the company molds up a disc can affect the plastic stiffness and stability too and throw another thing in the what to look for. In 2019 some Star Discs ended up like G-Star and some Pro ended up like the old Pro Rhyno before the mold was switched to the softer R-Pro.

Last edited:
Found this guy at PIAS so took a flyer. Pfn, pat number. Rim is bigger than a Beast...any ideas?

Not sure why the orientation of the pics rotated???

Wraith, Destroyer, Boss, XCal? How much bigger than a Beast is the rim? Wraith would be slightly bigger, Destroyer/XCal would be another step up, and a Boss would be a much bigger step up from the DS/XCal. All else fails, throw it and you'll have a better idea.

Wraith, Destroyer, Boss, XCal? How much bigger than a Beast is the rim? Wraith would be slightly bigger, Destroyer/XCal would be another step up, and a Boss would be a much bigger step up from the DS/XCal. All else fails, throw it and you'll have a better idea.

Yeah I'm gonna huck it tomorrow. Smaller than Destroyer, so I'm thinking prob Starfire, MAYBE Orc or Wraith. But most likely Starfire...

Yeah I'm gonna huck it tomorrow. Smaller than Destroyer, so I'm thinking prob Starfire, MAYBE Orc or Wraith. But most likely Starfire...

Pretty sure the ORC and Starfire have the same rim size as a Beast. Likely a Wraith then.

I know it is not an Archon, that mold came out after the Flight numbers for most plastics except Pro and DX that did not get flight numbers until 2014 or so, using the older stamps up to that point. I would more then likely think it is a Wraith if only barely over a Beast wing due to the shape of the wing and being no flight number version, if mold is a little more obvious but still not higher then a beast, Destroyer.

Latest posts