• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inexpensive Teebox Ideas [HELP]

Billy K2

Par Member
Hey guys, I'm in the process of developing a short, 9-hole course. I'm trying to make the course cheap to build, but decent in quality. So, I need ideas for the tee area. My original plan was to stick with natural tees, but is there any inexpensive material I can use for the teepad? Also, I need suggestions for the map. What do you suggest I use for the maps? Thanks for all of your help!

If you don't expect too heavy of use - you can check out the pictures of my course, [link in sig] All I did was frame the tee pads in with logs from clearing the fairways and filled it with gravel. I expect it will need significant maintenance in the future as logs rot and such, but so far they've held up well since I installed them last spring. Only cost was labor and one truck load of gravel.
10acb53e.jpg

Go to Home Depot and look for carpet remnants then spike down all four corners. Cheap and pretty durable. Also above average traction.

If you do that, flip the carpet upside down. The backing still provides good traction and doesn't collect mud and dirt the way the carpet side does, and it seems to be a little more durable that way.

Bricks. Cheap, but labor intensive. I always thought brick teeboxes looked really nice though.

Bricks. Cheap, but labor intensive. I always thought brick teeboxes looked really nice though.

I've played very few brick or paver tees that weren't pretty uneven after a year of use. Bricks raise up or sink a bit and then there are trip hazards on your formerly nice tee.

I've played very few brick or paver tees that weren't pretty uneven after a year of use. Bricks raise up or sink a bit and then there are trip hazards on your formerly nice tee.

I'd agree on the bricks, but I think I've played a couple courses with paver pads that seemed to hold up well. Installation makes a big difference.

As far as my personal preference goes, I still think gravel is the cheapest option that can perform really well.

I forget what the reasoning was (cost, flooding, something else) but there were 2 courses here with paver/brick tees.
view_image.php
These ones are holding up great, but were quite labor intensive. A lot of framing, very deep and heavily packed and leveled stone. About 10 years old now, but still holding up great. Flatter than some concrete tees I've played.

Don't have pics of the other that got switched to concrete, they were just 2ftx2ft square patio stone type material set in the ground. Outright horrible, Most of the tournaments there, the TD would allow you to tee off from the right or behind the actual tee box, as the natural area was flatter, better traction and all around safer.

I'd agree on the bricks, but I think I've played a couple courses with paver pads that seemed to hold up well. Installation makes a big difference.

As far as my personal preference goes, I still think gravel is the cheapest option that can perform really well.

Yeah, it's certainly possible to put in great paver or brick tees, it just takes real knowledge and work to do it right, and it also takes periodic maintenance to keep that way.

Yeah, it's certainly possible to put in great paver or brick tees, it just takes real knowledge and work to do it right, and it also takes periodic maintenance to keep that way.

Really, you can keep rubber tees really nice with good maintenance. Evansville DGC in WI has the best rubber tees I have ever seen, but the guy that maintains the course is out there keeping them level all the time.

Last edited:
Really, you can keep rubber tees really nice with good maintenance. Evansville DGC in WI has the best rubber tees I have ever seen, but the guy that maintains the course is out there keeping them level all the time.

Absolutely. Pretty much any kind of tee needs maintenance to keep everything level. Even concrete tees can get washed out or have the ground erode away which leads to cracking and settling, though obviously it takes a lot less maintenance to keep concrete tees in good shape than it does for most other surfaces.

One of our new courses uses recycled putt putt turf as temp tees, and in many conditions it offers even better traction than concrete.

Rejected

Unfortunately, the course was rejected last minute:wall: I'll still try to develop another course with one of the ideas you guys suggested. Thanks for the help.

Concrete in 4 yard loads is ~ $600/load. Thats enough for 9 8x4x3" teepads. You can find the framing wood easily for free. Why mess with all the other stuff that you will need to replace when you can just do concrete for $75/pad? Do things right people its really not that expensive and way better in the long run.

Absolutely. Pretty much any kind of tee needs maintenance to keep everything level. Even concrete tees can get washed out or have the ground erode away which leads to cracking and settling, though obviously it takes a lot less maintenance to keep concrete tees in good shape than it does for most other surfaces.

This only happens when poor care is done to dig them into the ground or frame with blocks/cedar logs/ RR ties what ever. It isn't a negative of concrete teepads...is a knock on the planning and upkeep by the people in charge of installation and maintenance.

This only happens when poor care is done to dig them into the ground or frame with blocks/cedar logs/ RR ties what ever. It isn't a negative of concrete teepads...is a knock on the planning and upkeep by the people in charge of installation and maintenance.

That was my point. All tees need maintenance and too many people take the quick way out on installation and don't do the required maintenance. I was just pointing out that applies to any material, but it's especially true of things like brick and rubber where the surface underneath shifting leaves poor footing.