• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

I understand all the hate on the faster discs like the Groove and Boss because I wasn't able to throw them when they were released so I strayed from both, but now that I can get out over 400 they have become important discs in my bag. I will agree my Destroyers are still more consistent and controllable, but these discs shouldn't be written off because not everyone can throw them.

I'll probably have to give one a shot. My only issue is that its freakin hard to hold a disc with that thick of a rim.

I've really been liking the pro plastic lately, so I'd like to give one a try. What's another 13 speed driver anyway?

I understand all the hate on the faster discs like the Groove and Boss because I wasn't able to throw them when they were released so I strayed from both, but now that I can get out over 400 they have become important discs in my bag. I will agree my Destroyers are still more consistent and controllable, but these discs shouldn't be written off because not everyone can throw them.

YES THEY SHOULD...no not really, but you must admit maybe they could make a few discs where their chart seems to be missing some and where the average player may be able to throw(by "missing some" I mean if you look at the speed chart). Though I guess I really don't need much else than what I already have except maybe a nice overstable disc for forehands once I improve that and for overhand throws.

YES THEY SHOULD...no not really, but you must admit maybe they could make a few discs where their chart seems to be missing some and where the average player may be able to throw(by "missing some" I mean if you look at the speed chart). Though I guess I really don't need much else than what I already have except maybe a nice overstable disc for forehands once I improve that and for overhand throws.

isn't everything slower than a Boss/Groove adequate for players with less distance and less arm speed?? Why not throw a Wraith if you are not capable of throwing a Destroyer/Boss/Groove?

I think people just want a disc that instantly makes them throw 50 feet further without changing anything. A disc will only perform to the potential of the player. I think people just need to practice with what's available and then work their way up.

What's not covered in drivers?

Understable: Roadrunner, Monarch, Sidewinder, Beast, Valkyrie, SL
Stable: Viking, Orc, Wraith, Starfire
Overstable: Firebird, TeeRex, Destroyer, Max, Groove (flippy if thrown to its potential), Boss, Xcal

what's missing? do you mean something that's fast and very understable? that sounds to me like an inconsistent flying disc

You have to remember that Innova is trying to make money, and if they can do that by adding another fast disc to their line up that everyone will feel the need to buy, sounds like business to me.

Basically, I don't like it because the idea of a fast, understable disc means they are catering to people that don't have arms, but want to think they can throw further with that disc. What people don't understand is any speed 13 disc flying at speed 11 or even 12 will fly the same. It won't be more understable flying at a slower speed-it is only understable if the disc is flying at the speed it's meant to be thrown at.

I think the Groove is only mass-produced in Champion plastic. They are made in CFR Star, but I don't think they are made for regular sales. The Boss was released in both from the start.

The boss wasn't released in star plastic until recently. It was only in champ plastic when it first came out, then after a few months, r-pro, star, and finally pro came out too.

I hope it's just like a sidewinder. That way I can throw it, wish and pray, that it will land in the same area code I aimed it for.

Soooooo I only recently started paying attention to the pro scene, but isn't the Japan Open 150 class?

I watched a couple of the Japan Open ads when they were on during the USDGC, and I thought "wow this looks awesome..." so when I saw the Katanas, I thought, "yea, i'll help raise money for that..." And then I tried to buy one on DGV, but they are definitely selling them 165 and up...

lols...

this is only furthering my theory that Disc Golf = Trading Cards... everyone just wants the newest ones...
and if any of you have played TCGs before, then its REALLY like trading cards... "awesome this one is 13 speed!!"

Yeah, the speed sells it but I really wish they would take something that is for weaker arms, or at least good for weaker arms, like a Leopard and try to make on that gets more glide or something like that. Then they could market it as a disc for weaker arms that will get improved distance but at the same time, it would still be ok for the weaker arms to use and be able to continue to build up their arm.

Seems like they kept making breakthroughs to get faster speeds but the highest glide has been what it is for years.

Soooooo I only recently started paying attention to the pro scene, but isn't the Japan Open 150 class?

I watched a couple of the Japan Open ads when they were on during the USDGC, and I thought "wow this looks awesome..." so when I saw the Katanas, I thought, "yea, i'll help raise money for that..." And then I tried to buy one on DGV, but they are definitely selling them 165 and up...

japan open is only 150 grams but i believe discs to help fundraise, and not play there, can weigh more.

They've apparently raised the weight limit to just under 160g for the 2010 Japan Open.

Here's a post by Dave Dunipace on Sep 9th on his PDGA thread:
"FYI. We are adding a slightly altered Pro 150 class in Japan next year. The Pro division will be able to use discs up to 159.4g. All other divisions and recreational play will remain the same."

I allways thought "150 class" was a range of weight anyway. Between 132 & 159 for examble.