• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

I got some champ and pros on the way.

I got 1 pro on the way, despite my better judgement.

It says this:

numbers: 13+, 5, -3, 3.

Calling all distance challenged throwers!

The Katana is built with the finesse thrower in mind. Recommended downwind driver. Hit the angle right and watch it bolt out of sight. The physical characteristics resemble a Boss with the flight characteristics of a Sidewinder on steroids. Master the technique of Kantana and rule the course.

But someone explain to me how a 3 fade resembles a sidewinder that they themselves rank as a 1 fade, not too mention that the Sidewinder is rated like others have said at -3 turn for speed 9. If you cant hit speed 13 you wont see -3 turn I wouldnt think.

Just ordered a Pro as that is all they have left.

Well, I wouldnt worry about it. Champs are going to be more rare but according to Dave Himself:

Testing of normal Champion was unimpressive, compared to Pro, but the addition of the stabilizing process might change that. Though we haven't tested it in Starlight as yet, I believe that will prove successful

I wonder if these fund raiser discs have been through this "stabilizing process"

*sigh* I got bored... decided to look up stuff about the katana... saw that the herodiscs site was back up... started browsing... well one thing led to another and well... i'm not proud of what i've done.

i just spent 50 bucks on 3 katanas... thought to myself... oh "I'll try the Pro to try out." And then I saw the White R-Pro and thought, "hey thats cool looking, I'll get that to put up on the wall or something" AND THEN I thought... "well I don't want to be tempted to throw the R-Pro thats suppose to be a souvenir sort of thing... I'll get an R-Pro to throw..."

So i got 2 R-Pros and a Pro... I've had Innova in my bag maybe once in the past 2 years... and yet I buy their newest discs all the time...

these discs shouldn't be written off because not everyone can throw them.
There's really no disc on the market that is a good fit for everybody. My beef with Innova coming out with yet another big bomb driver is that a great majority of guys who are going to buy this disc are precisely the people who can't throw them, just as a bunch of people who bought Bosses, Grooves and Destoyers couldn't throw those.

A lot of males under 25 (and there's a lot of disc golfing males under 25) have a means of thinking with the head attached to their groin instead of the one attached to their shoulders, and it often reflects in their buying decisions, whether it be something for their car, or a new electronic gadget, or the sporting goods they purchase. They gotta have the biggest, most bad ass thing around, and they'll piss away their whole paycheck on it because its just too darned hard to get better using proper form and existing equipment. That's for sissies after all. (Never mind those sissies are getting closer to the pin with a fairway driver and can at least putt decently).

I liken these guys to people who pay through the nose for one of those (get rich quick/get women into bed/lose weight/stop smoking) seminars. They just want the result of what is being promised, rather than learn the process which makes the result possible.

I admit that its smart marketing for Innova to exploit that stupidity, but just the same its bad for teaching people how to play disc golf properly. So expect to see plenty of TDD's and rec division players carrying these things next year, telling you its the greatest thing on earth, even after they throw it a whopping 250 feet and 30 degrees off target.

There's really no disc on the market that is a good fit for everybody. My beef with Innova coming out with yet another big bomb driver is that a great majority of guys who are going to buy this disc are precisely the people who can't throw them, just as a bunch of people who bought Bosses, Grooves and Destoyers couldn't throw those.

A lot of males under 25 (and there's a lot of disc golfing males under 25) have a means of thinking with the head attached to their groin instead of the one attached to their shoulders, and it often reflects in their buying decisions, whether it be something for their car, or a new electronic gadget, or the sporting goods they purchase. They gotta have the biggest, most bad ass thing around, and they'll piss away their whole paycheck on it because its just too darned hard to get better using proper form and existing equipment. That's for sissies after all. (Never mind those sissies are getting closer to the pin with a fairway driver and can at least putt decently).

I liken these guys to people who pay through the nose for one of those (get rich quick/get women into bed/lose weight/stop smoking) seminars. They just want the result of what is being promised, rather than learn the process which makes the result possible.

I admit that its smart marketing for Innova to exploit that stupidity, but just the same its bad for teaching people how to play disc golf properly. So expect to see plenty of TDD's and rec division players carrying these things next year, telling you its the greatest thing on earth, even after they throw it a whopping 250 feet and 30 degrees off target.

ouch... true... but ouch. I do like buying things... but you're right, I bought the destroyer and the boss when they came out, and couldn't get those any further than my slower discs... The R-pro was alright, but well, its R-pro, so it lasted about a month. These Katanas are definitely going to be on the shelf with the rest of my 9+ speed drivers and most likely wont find time in the bag.

I do like throwing money towards the Japan Open, they get DG right.

Fastest thing I bought up until this one outside of a 146 R-Pro Boss, is a Monarch. I can make that work but not as described. The R-Pro Boss does go further than anything else I have but not enought to be worth being so light with any kind of wind. Well, I do have a Flick and use it but thats a different animal all together.

This one, I just liked the stamp and figure to just throw it a couple times for fun, then put it away. A lot of it probably is going after the fastest, badest thing out there, but some is also just having fun.

Just ordered a champ and a pro....I couldn't help myself:) Had to order another monarch too as well....and I said I was done buying discs for a while:)
OK, looks like I've got to order a Mako now!

Right, but you are complaining about a a few discs that are highly beneficial to those who throw them. If people in the sport are getting better and wanting tools to keep up with their progress then Innova should by all means keep up and support that trend. Sucks for the people who are duped into buying discs that are out of their league but that sounds more like a personal problem than an issue for Innova. And yes, it is genius marketing on their behalf.

Reading this thread again makes me want to buy one. At the same time, there are plenty of other discs I would love to have right now.

Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

Yeah ouch, it is true that it's a huge marketing ploy on their part but at the same time I am a backhand and forehand player. For my backhand I agree I can throw a fairway driver better than any other disc in my bag for distance and accuracy but when it comes to my forehand I use discs like the Max, Destroyer and Boss. I can get a lot more distance and accuracy with those discs on a forehand than a slower speed and they have improved my game a great amount. But I can only speak for myself.

I don't realy want to say how much of my paycheck I just gave to Hero Discs, and the Japan Open:eek:. But I got a couple to throw and a couple to put on the wall.

I don't realy want to say how much of my paycheck I just gave to Hero Discs, and the Japan Open:eek:. But I got a couple to throw and a couple to put on the wall.

Where are you ordering from? herodiscsusa.com says the server is down still

ok I tried another computer and the site works, wtf? I even deleted cookies & temp files and it still won't come up on the other computer.