• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentional Foot Fault

just end the discussion by making every foot foul give a penalty stroke. Why warn anyway ?

good point

why is there a warning?

it makes more sense to me to just get penalized. then you don't have to worry about abuse to the rule, and you wonder 'if' the player has already gotten a warning today or not...

(i apologize if this was already answered. i read the entire thread but may have missed it betwixt the arguing)

i wonder if they TD announced the faults and warned everyone at the Players meeting if that would mean that any infraction would be a stroke and there would be no other warnings.

i know that the main topic has been putting foot faults, but what about off the tee or on upshots? would you want those to be insta penalty? or those remaining warning first? whats the difference really.

I had this exact scenario occur during a recent local mini. The offending player missed his putt and was called for a valid foot fault by another individual on our card. The player essentially received a mulligan and made his second putt. I thought it was a nice gesture allowing the second putt to be taken. Although, I would have felt differently had the putt been worth money in the mini. Interesting rule that I hadn't seen applied before, especially after a missed put. It would be a totally different scenario had the call been over a made putt. At the end of the day, a miss is a miss and should be scored accordingly.

i wonder if they TD announced the faults and warned everyone at the Players meeting if that would mean that any infraction would be a stroke and there would be no other warnings.

i know that the main topic has been putting foot faults, but what about off the tee or on upshots? would you want those to be insta penalty? or those remaining warning first? whats the difference really.

I don't think it's like baseball where you can warn the benches and it applies to everyone. There must be a clear infraction to warrant an individual warning first.

I think warnings outside the circle are still fine. It's actually harder to intentionally fault because the fault has to occur prior to release. Once the disc is released you're allowed to cross your lie penalty free.

I tend to agree that it would be nice to get rid of the warning. I am very careful not to foot fault and I think everyone can be. It most likely wouldn't get called except in egregious cases in which someone was either clearly trying to cheat or got a serious advantage from misplay.

Never knew about the warning!!! One of the dumbest rules out there......Foot fault should cost you a stroke " no warning".

If you FF in the 10m circle early in the round, then later FF outside the circle, do you get a warning for the second FF?

A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a stance rule in the round. Subsequent violations of a stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty

This doesn't seem to allow for one stance violation of each "type." One stance violation is a warning, any others are penalties.

"Foot fault within the 10M circle is one penalty stroke with no warning. All other foot faults get one warning. "

Seems like that would suffice..

Good question John Rock..

Allow me to amend my suggestion:

"Foot fault within the 10M circle is one penalty stroke with no warning. All other foot faults get one warning, unless the player has previously committed a foot fault within the 10M circle. In this case the player would receive an additional stroke with no warning "

Much clearer to just do away with the warning, but I think this amendment would take away the advantage of an intentional foot fault.

"Foot fault within the 10M circle is one penalty stroke with no warning. All other foot faults get one warning. "

Seems like that would suffice..

If you FF in the 10m circle early in the round, then later FF outside the circle, do you get a warning for the second FF?

you mean you wanted to do this? ^^^^^

it would seem to me if your going to separate the warnings, or lack there of, for inside and outside the circle that the two would have to become different rules all together. one rule for the no warning inside the circle and one rule for foot faults outside the circle. to me that would make sense because as bradharris alluded to a few posts up that the two kinds of foot faults are very different.

"The first stance violation shall result in a warning unless it occurs within 10M in which case it will be a one-stroke penalty. All subsequent stance violations shall result in a one stroke penalty"

That would work. Then the penalty inside the circle serves as the warning for any future faults (in or out of the circle)

That guy was dead wrong. The rule just says that you must demonstrate full control of balance before retrieving your disc. So if you lean too far and try to hold yourself up, only to fall after hitting the chains, it's still a falling putt. However, walking away from your lie (behind it of course) is perfectly fine.

Right, that's what I told him. He still disagreed.

Or you could take casual relief up to 5 meters behind your lie on the line of play. Next time stand behind the puddle and save your foot from being wet the rest of the round :D

I get what you're saying, but my foot wasn't wet because of how quickly I did it. However, with as small as the puddle was, and with how annoying the guy was about that, that would have been the smart thing to do in retrospect.

Im not going to read every post, but to the OP. I had this happen to me a tourney or 2 ago. There was a 3 way tie for 1st place, of which I was a part of. On the first hole of the playoff, he putts from about 15-20 and misses then walks forward and calls a foot fault on himself and the other guy (who he travels around with) agreed with it. At first I thought it was total bu!!sh!t, but Im not a rulebook genious.

The guy who agreed with him carded a 4 the first hole, the guy with the foot fault and myself took a 3. The next hole i had a great drive but ended up about 25 out with a bunch of thin trees in front of me, he was about 40 out with a clear path. He missed his put and I threaded the needle for my 1st win in 2 years, and first ever playoff/playoff win. Figured it was fitting he lost

Scenario:
You have a 20 foot putt. You release the disc, and immediately you know it is way off target, not going to make it, no way, so you step towards the basket with your off foot. A clear foot fault, your first of the round.

"Foot fault" is called and seconded and you get to putt again with no penalty.

End Scenario

Have you ever seen this happen? Who said a foot fault is always a bad thing? :D

:popcorn:

I doubt competitive players on the card would fall for it. I think it is typical to ignore even an unintentional foot fault if the result is bad. They save the "mandatory mulligan" for when the player makes a good shot, not a bad one. I recall reading that one guy actually fell off the end of the tee and threw 200 feet behind the tee, and no one on his card would call a foot fault. Even if one did call it, another would have to second it. So good luck with that.

Im not going to read every post, but to the OP. I had this happen to me a tourney or 2 ago. There was a 3 way tie for 1st place, of which I was a part of. On the first hole of the playoff, he putts from about 15-20 and misses then walks forward and calls a foot fault on himself and the other guy (who he travels around with) agreed with it. At first I thought it was total bu!!sh!t, but Im not a rulebook genious.

The guy who agreed with him carded a 4 the first hole, the guy with the foot fault and myself took a 3. The next hole i had a great drive but ended up about 25 out with a bunch of thin trees in front of me, he was about 40 out with a clear path. He missed his put and I threaded the needle for my 1st win in 2 years, and first ever playoff/playoff win. Figured it was fitting he lost

I recall that you can't call a foot fault on yourself.

Never mind, I see the rule says any group member can call it. What happened was bogus. If you call it on yourself, you obviously don't need a warning.

Last edited: