• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is concrete overrated: Poll

Are concrete tees overrated?

• yes

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 213 76.1%

• Total voters
I very much prefer good concrete tees, but I'm happy playing from anything that's level and not slick. Unfortunately, that usually means I'm not happy playing from rubber tees. Other surfaces like astro turf and carpet that I've played off are perfectly fine if installed well, like the tees at Richmond Hill. Even natural tees are fine by me as long as they aren't rutted or full of roots sticking up.

I've heard bad things about rubber tees a lot. Personally, I found the tees at Shawnee State Park to have excellent grip. And I've played early in the morning with dew and the ground and during a soft rain. I thought that they were fine even when wet. I found that early morning dew made the nice concrete tees at Buchmiller Park more slippery than the rubber tees. That's just my personal experience. And I agree with you that any level tee is basically OK in my book.

This is what I love about DGCR. Getting all of the different ideas is great. I continue to learn something new almost every time that I'm on here.

Is concrete overrated...Yes. Properly done Crush and Run is the best in all conditions and more forgiving on the body. I don't mind concrete, they are typically level and provide great footing in bad weather although I fractured my push off foot on concrete and they are rough on knees, feet and shoes! Concrete is also pretty permanent and don't look that great. Im starting to like natural tees more, especially after playing Carousel Park. The natural tees there are about 20ft wide, so they should not rut and can be moved. Flypads are ok as long as they are level. Im mixed on carpet and astroturf, although I could see the newer turf with rubber pellets might be nice. I don't like gravel tees, un-level tees, and really short tees...a few from Quakers Challenge come to mind(although I still love the course).

Why even mention gravel tee's. A slippery, loose surface? Might as well be mud. I usually throw from the side, or behind.

The problem with gravel pads, at least around here, is that they are never maintained and end up divoted and destroyed.

My home course has concrete tees... but i can list a few negatives...

1) During / After rain the pads get muddy and slippery.

2) Concrete teepads, require a lot of maintenance to ensure a level surface in front and behind. In my course, pads seem to have either a mud puddle directly behind them, or directly in front of them. This water effect tends to erode the pad on that side. If infront, it causes a slightly unsafe drop of 2-3 inches. Now that it rains, after my throw, i have to do a funny acrobatic move to avoid the giant puddle in front of the pads.

3) Our pads, are 10'x5' and they can be too short. As far as i can tell, there is no PDGA regulation on the size of the pad, and unless its a giant pad, it could present its own issues based on size. I see a lot of guys start behind the pad...and i've seen my share of guys fall off the end of the pad and "roll".

If i were a lot more serious about disc golfing, i would buy 2 additional pairs of shoes so that i could reduce the effects of terrain and non-concrete teepads; soccer style cleats for grass and thick hiking style treaded shoes/boots for dirt.

It's just not a "real" course unless it has baskets and concrete pads.

Also, I want to add that I hate uphill teepads.

agreed :clap:

worst tee I have ever played off of is uphill and natural so it's also uneven as hell. Its hard to get a solid drive off a tee like that when you're worried about twisting an ankle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Also, I want to add that I hate uphill teepads.

Now, see this is a whole different thread and poll. I think uphill tees are an interesting design element that can be used to make holes tougher; and to frustrate players who don't like them.

Now, see this is a whole different thread and poll. I think uphill tees are an interesting design element that can be used to make holes tougher; and to frustrate players who don't like them.

Yeah, but there's a point where it just gets silly. If I have to full out run to get any forward momentum on the tee, it's too steep.

i prefer level tees to concrete, but do not feel concrete is over rated. rainy winters round these parts...

Natural surroundings

I believe that since our sport is surrounded by our natural surroundings,the tee pads should be natural.Tee pad maintanance is essential.

Try an uphill gravel pad. I have played a few of those and can't stand them. An uphill concrete pad still can be frsutrating, but it does get your shoulders in better position for the release

I believe that since our sport is surrounded by our natural surroundings,the tee pads should be natural.Tee pad maintanance is essential.

Yes, but how many courses with natural pads actually get the maintenance they need for the pads to be in good shape? In my experience, the answer is not many.

I think they are overrated. some people act like they are a must for a course, but I have played many courses with great rubber, carpet or brick tees, all of which are able to be moved and are way less expensive.

I am looking for more information on the "Grange Grass" tees. My club is working with a local park, we have had an 18 hole course in the ground for about 6 months now and in 2-3 more months we will be installing permanent tee pads, currently they are a dirt / woodchip / ice mix. The park already has funding for concrete, we are only waiting for the ground to thaw.

We had originally assumed concrete but the recommendations from Vegan Ray and Biscoe (and after playing the Grange last year) are leading us to consider the "Artificial turf on top of framed and tamped crusher" type pads.

Please PM (or email: scottcwhite AT gmail.com) me if you have detailed information on how to install this type of pad, as well as any cost information. I would be interested on the cost difference vs. concrete. Thank you!

Concrete teepads, require a lot of maintenance to ensure a level surface in front and behind. In my course, pads seem to have either a mud puddle directly behind them, or directly in front of them. This water effect tends to erode the pad on that side. If infront, it causes a slightly unsafe drop of 2-3 inches. Now that it rains, after my throw, i have to do a funny acrobatic move to avoid the giant puddle in front of the pads.

This is because the pads are too short. Pads that are too short, like yours, or too narrow, like what they have at Redan Park in Georgia, become worse than nothing after a couple of years of erosion.

Has anybody seen natural pads where the builders simply define a rectangle with lumber and then fill it with dirt, adding as necessary to counteract erosion? It seems to me that the major problem with natural pads is maintaining an even surface, but what's wrong with filling a box with dirt rather than crushed rock (expensive) or gravel (poor surface)? I see baseball fields adding dirt all the time, especially to maintain the pitcher's mound. Why shouldn't this be feasible for disc golf tee pads? It's an honest question that maybe those with landscaping experience can answer.

No but I played teepads that were 3 x 3 x 12" tall framed areas with asphalt poured into them. No runup because you would have to step up to the teepad you can barely turn around on them. I think the guy in charge of the parks department didnt consult the disc golfer who had the proposal for the city.

With that said it was in an old old park and had been there for a long time (perhaps one of the first courses in WI as someone told me).

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1017 Black River Falls

I had to do it after reading a few posts on other threads and was surprised others might feel the same way as I do. Concrete to me:
is a waste of money that could be spent on baskets or rubber tees
usually get slick from most players using them to kick mud of feet
prevents future changes to course...your stuck with that 260 footer even after the trees are gone and the tight expert lanes have opened up into beginner friendly highways
are ugly to non dg players
to be effective have to be huge expensive globs and these are just awful on the eyes unless works of art like blue valley in KC
You can actually get injured on them if too grippy when u plant/spin or can be too slick at the other end of spectrum
Basically they have benefits but the negatives are just as strong....so in the end are the really a LONG term improvement?

I'd rather have flexibility and go with something more nature friendly...don't get me wrong I love concrete tees but I don't think they are as absolutely critical as many will have u believe.

U are right. I wish I could change my vote. Concrete stinks.

This is because the pads are too short. Pads that are too short, like yours, or too narrow, like what they have at Redan Park in Georgia, become worse than nothing after a couple of years of erosion.

Has anybody seen natural pads where the builders simply define a rectangle with lumber and then fill it with dirt, adding as necessary to counteract erosion? It seems to me that the major problem with natural pads is maintaining an even surface, but what's wrong with filling a box with dirt rather than crushed rock (expensive) or gravel (poor surface)? I see baseball fields adding dirt all the time, especially to maintain the pitcher's mound. Why shouldn't this be feasible for disc golf tee pads? It's an honest question that maybe those with landscaping experience can answer.

fill the boxes, tamp, then cover with something like carpet remnant or artificial turf and you don't have to re-fill. i have done this at hawk hollow and they work great- even cattle walking on them doesn't louse them up.