• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it an Ace if it's on an Object course?

Ace or not an Ace?

• Aces on Object courses DO count

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Aces only count with Baskets

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • What's an object course?

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Where is my popcorn? I need to take a seat. This is about to get interesting.

yes. it is an object course, so the goal is to hit the object. I would even argue that it would be harder to ace an object course as it would be harder to hit a tree or something than to hit the chains even.

unless this is an object course you made yourself, then no. we're talking about real courses for real aces.

No, this is an actual Object course, actually 9 of 18 holes are objects the other nine baskets. He just Aced one of the objects.

I'd say yes it is. Problem is it can be hard to determine sometimes whether you hit the object, particularly if your disc just grazes it or if the object is blind from the teebox. Things like that are kind of why the polehole was invented.

I'd count it if the target is comparable in size to the target area of a basket. Admittedly, with a basket it's got to stick in the chains enough to stay in, but being close in size is enough for me.

I'd say yes it is. Problem is it can be hard to determine sometimes whether you hit the object, particularly if your disc just grazes it or if the object is blind from the teebox. Things like that are kind of why the polehole was invented.

Object was in view from teebox in this case, But the question was in general. Do you guys consider it the same as an Ace landing in the basket?
And when playing there if the object is blind from the tee, we tend to have a spotter near the object.

Where is my popcorn? I need to take a seat. This is about to get interesting.

uh-huh.

Problems:
1) On blind holes was it a close throw or an Ace? No one will ever no unless you use a spotter. I've heard of "tone poles" being used to provide audible feedback of such shots.

2) How about shouts that just graze the edge of the target (would've just obviously just grazed chains and continued a few feet)?

Guess that means everyone has to watch every shot, more carefully on object courses because we all know just how close some of those metal hits can be.

If the people involved can visually confirm the disc hit the target in the area specified, why wouldn't it be an Ace? If it hits, it hits - that's the best you can do on an object course. Once you start saying it was "coming in too fast, never would've stuck in the chains," it's gonna get ugly.

I've never even seen one - don't even think there's one within 100 miles of me.

Last edited:
i've played a lot of object golf over the years (not as much as discgolfne1 though) and i don't count the object aces as "real" aces personally.

nygfan- have you played the maymont course?

I never really understood why there are so many threads about "is this an ace". It always makes me think there is some crazy competition out there and the winner is the person with the most aces. An ace, other than in competition, is a personal achievement whether or not someone else would consider it an ace shouldn't really matter. Please keep in mind this coming from a guy who is aceless.

I'd count it if the target is comparable in size to the target area of a basket. Admittedly, with a basket it's got to stick in the chains enough to stay in, but being close in size is enough for me.

So I guess if the object was a Giant Redwood tree, that would be hard to count?:D

I'm torn between yes and no. Obviously, if you're playing on an object course, you've satisfied the criteria for an ace if you hit the object. That being said, how many of us have hit the pole or top of the basket, or even the side of the basket and walked away with nothing more than an eagle or birdie? I think I'd have a hard time sitting around the table drinking beer, comparing ace stories, and using that as my experience. On a more positve note, it does appear that I'm in the minority in a big way.

Sure, it may not feel as cool - but you still made an ace by the rules of the course.

Yes sir. I say yes because that is how the course is played. Do you count a putt if you hit the object? Yes

It counts as a OBJECT GOLF ACE... separate from the basket stats. So yes in theory.

Latest posts