• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ive never met another disc golfer anywhere but on the course. Have you?

I carry my bag around with me in the car all the time and it's been a conversation starter in dozens of drive thrus. Neighbor behind me who's lived there for 6 years heard me putting when I borrowed a friends baskets. Turns out he plays.

I just schedule a work group outing for a Friday afternoon of discing, with me as the emcee.

I hope it goes well. My wife did this at Ford a couple years back. Rained cats and dogs about a third of the way through. As disc golfers, and generally outdoor people, this does not rattle us too badly. Can't say the same for most of those folks. Made a couple converts that day though. I also have an outing planned for my group this summer.

I hope it goes well. My wife did this at Ford a couple years back. Rained cats and dogs about a third of the way through. As disc golfers, and generally outdoor people, this does not rattle us too badly. Can't say the same for most of those folks. Made a couple converts that day though. I also have an outing planned for my group this summer.

My bosses boss has been bugging me for months to get something set up. While I do believe there is some general interest, I think the ability to have drinks and play are the main culprits.

We do some cool stuff for outings...we've shot trap, played volleyball...

I like when I meet someone who plays so I can hear about how good they are before I beat them. Quietly.

In the late '80s we were taking a lunch break at the cafeteria at Wolf Creek Ski Area and ran into a guy wearing a shirt from a Hackey Sack & Frisbee Festival. Turns out he was staying in Pagosa Springs and we were bunking on the other side of Wolf Creek Pass in South Fork. We ate lunch with him and hung around the rest of the day on the trails. Good fun just because of a t-shirt.

Speaking of Hackey Sack and Frisbee Festivals:

I was riding shotgun in a co-workers truck on the beach during Spring Break in Padre Island one year, and as we were making our way through the thousands of people, someone yelled, "HEY JOHN ROCK!" It was a Hackey Sack player from Midland, TX that I had met at HS&F Festival in Lubbock the year before. Not only was it a surprise that someone in that huge crowd of people knew me, but a fellow HS&F Festival participant as well. We ended up spending the rest of the day with his group there on the beach. Perfect meeting because we had lots of cold beer and they had girls and other party favors.

I was just posting my utterly important opinion on the Tiger's board at Yahoo and ran across a guy with an Innova basket as his avatar, prompting a quick disc golf discussion.

About a year ago, I was driving home from the Sierras and came up on a van with a ton of disc golf stickers. I told my buddy 100 points if he can hit the putt into the drivers window. Discs were within reach. The guy took the next exit, never had a chance. Just thought it would be funny. (just as a joke, we really aren't d!cks like that)
I was at a local park practicing last year. When I was finished, as I walked back down the hill to the parking lot, I passed another guy walking up the hill with a small Innova bag who obviously had the same idea. The closest course is like 10 miles away. Totally random. It happens.

I found out a friend of mine who I haven't seen in years (before I was disc golfing) plays disc golf. If that counts.

Never really met another discer, but I've seen a lot of people I knew before DG on the course, or heard they disced through other means.

Riding in an elevator at Mrytle Beach hotel on the way out to try one of the local course, a guy gets in and says "nice bag" and asks about the local courses. I guess he doesn't visit this site.

My boss at my last job was a DG'er. My wife has a couple cousins that disc as well. I found out that a few people I used to go to college with got into disc golf. One was even a pro for a while. Granted it may be a bit more popular here, than other places though.

I was walking in the rain in Alaska once and someone noticed my Discraft raincoat and asked me if I played. He said he was one of the builders of a disc golf course in Va. That was in 2007. I have been to their yearly tournament every year since I met him. No one there knows who I was talking about.

^^Ironic, because Alaska is the only place I have knowingly met another DGer, which could be considered strange since I'm from Iowa. Spent summer '06 working up there and one night having drinks I was shooting the breeze with some locals and eventually disc golf came up. I never did manage to play any Alaska courses, but I did hear a bluegrass band do a song about disc golf, on a different night in a different bar no less! Also, Alaska is excellent.

^^Ironic, because Alaska is the only place I have knowingly met another DGer, which could be considered strange since I'm from Iowa. Spent summer '06 working up there and one night having drinks I was shooting the breeze with some locals and eventually disc golf came up. I never did manage to play any Alaska courses, but I did hear a bluegrass band do a song about disc golf, on a different night in a different bar no less! Also, Alaska is excellent.

WHAT?!? And you didn't record it on your phone at least?!? That's a paddlin'. :rolleyes:

Cool stories. I was just finishing a city park in Hillsboro tx a year ago when I met a couple. It was probably 30 mins to the closest dg park. I threw a couple with them before I left that job for the last time.

I wish they would have showed up 8 months earlier, could have made lunch breaks way better.

WHAT?!? And you didn't record it on your phone at least?!? That's a paddlin'. :rolleyes:

:eek: truly one of my only regrets from that summer, though I'm pretty sure I was sans cellphone that whole time. I've tried to find it online, but no luck.

This is weird. I meet people in St. Louis all the time that play. They usually aren't tournament players but I meet tons of people that play casually. I've even run into multiple people out on the course that I knew from other facets of life and that I had no idea played.

I've never "really" met anyone who plays off the course. After I started playing I found out my brother-in-law's cousin played in the past, but gave it up. I'd put a sticker or two on my car, but my son grabs them all and plaster's his room with them.

I've met several people at our local Academy while perusing their stock.
They will ask me, "Do you play a lot?" and "what kind of discs do you recommend?"

Latest posts