• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump putting rules?

Outside the circle you can throw the disc and after you release it completly you can move or fall over the marker.(You must have one foot in the ground until you release the disc completly).

Inside the circle you must have one foot in the ground until release and after release you must show full balance before lifting your feet towards the basket.(You can have one foot behind the marker and the other to the side and lift that one closer to the basket while releasing butt not closer the basket than the marker.(meaning you can fall to the side with one leg but you must have one foot behind the marker until fully balanced).

So say I get the measurement from the rear of the disc and it is 32 feet 10 1/2 inches. Can I then place my mini, remove my disc, and jump putt from the mini?

No, your lie determines whether you can jump putt. If the rear of your mini is inside the circle you are putting.

Check the Feldberg putting video for further clarification.

Check the Feldberg putting video for further clarification.

The Feldberg putting video also puts a better spin on the term "jump putt". Feldberg points out that a lot of people technically have foot faults when they jump putt because they're in the air when the disc is released. He suggested that the term be re-coined as a "putt jump" so that you finish as a jump or fall through, but you're 100% on the ground as the disc is released.

As long as you release the disc before you touch the ground, your good.:)

False. This isnt true outside the circle, more less in it.

Some part of your body has to be behind your lie at release, with not part touching in front. Outside the circle you can fall forward after those requirements are met, inside the circle you must show balance behind your mark, than you can move forward.

Last edited:
In my year of playing this sport I can honestly say that I have not seen a single player(AM, REC) execute a correct 'putt jump' they were ALL 'jump 'putts'.

From my discussions with people that have been playing MUCH longer than I they would guesitmate that 80-90% of people are doing it incorrect. If you feel that you HAVE TO Putt Jump then at LEAST be sure you have the timing to do it right...........

M2C

In my year of playing this sport I can honestly say that I have not seen a single player(AM, REC) execute a correct 'putt jump' they were ALL 'jump 'putts'.

From my discussions with people that have been playing MUCH longer than I they would guesitmate that 80-90% of people are doing it incorrect. If you feel that you HAVE TO Putt Jump then at LEAST be sure you have the timing to do it right...........

M2C

You know that you can jump on a jump putt and its still legal right? As long as you have a supporting point behind your lie and nothing is touching in front at release its legal. After the release you can run down the fairway doing cartwheels if you want, as long as you are not in the circle.

Not doubting you, but to say you have never seen a correct one, just made me think you were misunderstanding something or Wisconsin has some terrible disc golfers.

You know that you can jump on a jump putt and its still legal right? As long as you have a supporting point behind your lie and nothing is touching in front at release its legal. After the release you can run down the fairway doing cartwheels if you want, as long as you are not in the circle.

Not doubting you, but to say you have never seen a correct one, just made me think you were misunderstanding something or Wisconsin has some terrible disc golfers.

I'm in Wisconsin, too. And have seen more than a few players "inside the circle" jump putt. They spring forward off their front foot and release the disc with neither foot on the ground and land in front of their marker. No balance, no support point....I just scratch my head.

As the rule reads you cannot jump putt. You can fall forward following through, but you cannot jump then putt. You must still have your foot on the ground.

No...The post just before yours says it clear. You cannot move past the marker after you putt until you have control of both feet on the ground behind the mark.

Some do it right. Like 'cydisc' from this board.

100_3300.jpg

Here is the thing that most people don't understand. The purpose of jump putting is to use the extra momentum to get the disc to the basket. If you release the disc while you are in the air you are releasing the disc to late to recieve the benefits from jump putting. Some people jump putt as if they are trying to get closer to the basket before releasing.

I think that you will find that if you jump putt legally, more putts will go in the basket as well.

The timing is really close. I straddle putt all the time and my jump putt stance is the same as my straddle putt stance. One thing I do a little different is that my left foot is slightly forward (8-10 inches), yet I use my right hand to throw. So for long putts, I put my left foot behind the marker disc. This way I can push hard off my right side, to give the putt a bit more juice, yet either my left foot remains on the ground or is a bit delayed in coming off the ground, making the putt legal. I know that right on the edge of the circle, I've lifted my right foot a touch, but it goes back down, demonstrating the balance/control.

If I place my right foot behind the marker, I move it back 8-10 inches (still with in the 30 cm rule) so that my left foot is no closer to the pin. The difference here is that inside the circle, I can't move my right foot.

BTW, maybe this was already stated and I missed it here, but there is a rule change regarding the demonstration of balance and control after the putt.

I picked this up in the recent Dave Feldberg putting video that was on youtube for a short stretch. He stated that in order to demonstrate control your feet must both return to the ground BEHIND the marker disc, after the putt. Meaning, if you do sidestance loft putt and your back foot comes up (like Cimo does) you can't just balance a second and continue forward to retrieve. That back foot must come down first to demonstrate control. Then you may proceed.

I just though I'd mention this since we're on the subject of legal putts.

I started doing that thing Feldberg does where he kind of steps forward after a putt outside the circle. It's helped with increasing my range and keeping my footing legal.

I started doing that thing Feldberg does where he kind of steps forward after a putt outside the circle. It's helped with increasing my range and keeping my footing legal.

Agreed.. I feel like the release is also a lot smoother and you don't have that extra variable (jumping) to throw you off..

What does that mean? I think the answer is "no" regardless. And if it's a joke, sorry, missed it.

This will be hard to explain... it was certainly a hard question..

It means: The guy in the picture, is his name, John Robinson?

I would have bet anything that was him, looks just like him. You do know his real name isnt Cy Disc right?

This will be hard to explain... it was certainly a hard question..

It means: The guy in the picture, is his name, John Robinson?

I would have bet anything that was him, looks just like him. You do know his real name isnt Cy Disc right?

Nope, it's Steve Kenton.

?????????

img_122766_a4eebac4c45c20c4b3536bb64a47935f.jpeg

?????????

Okay, I thought you were guessing the course, or the guy, or whatever. I thought EVERYBODY knew who cydisc was.

Cydisc's real name is Special K. At least that's all I've ever called him in the 15 year's I've known him. Now that I think about it, I bet Special K isn't even his real name!