• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Theoretical question:

If you were in Milwaukee and only had one day to disc and could probably only do one course; Dretzka or Brown Deer or other?

And why?

Thanks ;)

Heard talk of a Goldenrod redesign and pad installation. Along with high hopes for the new course discussed below.

Went to Goldenrod this weekend for a practice round to see if I might want to play in a tourney in a couple of weeks. As I remembered the course from 2019 (I think was the last time I was out there), it was an okay course. Rubber teepads. Very wooded, but not terribly tight. Some water holes. Just an okay course, nothing to run out of your way to play.

Well, I was surprised to find cement teepads & a few new locations for pins. Overall, the course looks like it got some serious TLC. Based on that, I am now seriously leaning in the direction of playing in the tourney. And I will go out of my way to play it now.

Went to Goldenrod this weekend for a practice round to see if I might want to play in a tourney in a couple of weeks. As I remembered the course from 2019 (I think was the last time I was out there), it was an okay course. Rubber teepads. Very wooded, but not terribly tight. Some water holes. Just an okay course, nothing to run out of your way to play.

Well, I was surprised to find cement teepads & a few new locations for pins. Overall, the course looks like it got some serious TLC. Based on that, I am now seriously leaning in the direction of playing in the tourney. And I will go out of my way to play it now.

I have seen that you are feeling groovy and getting back out on the tournament golf scene!! Sounds like some trouble for some old men around the state!! We need to squeeze in a fall round, Shide.

Theoretical question:

If you were in Milwaukee and only had one day to disc and could probably only do one course; Dretzka or Brown Deer or other?

And why?

Thanks ;)

Brown Deer is the better a more challenging,
Root River on south side is probably better then Dretzka, IMHO.

I have seen that you are feeling groovy and getting back out on the tournament golf scene!! Sounds like some trouble for some old men around the state!! We need to squeeze in a fall round, Shide.

Sounds good to me. I see on DGS that you are signed up for a couple tourneys this month. We'll have to figure out a good date. And see if the Bogey is available, too.

Theoretical question:

And why?

Thanks ;)

I like Dretzka better personally, but Brown deer is really fun too.

But if I only had time for one I'd play Stoney Creek just a bit north. Better and it's free.

I like Dretzka better personally, but Brown deer is really fun too.

But if I only had time for one I'd play Stoney Creek just a bit north. Better and it's free.

Just left there, love that they finally have permanent tee signs.
Wish the parks department would get them better creek crossings. I have poor equilibrium and crossing the creek, pulling a cart over their "bridges" is an adventure.

I even thought Eagle Rock was super fun

Yeah! Old Town got 9 more holes this year so it's now at 27, and construction is ongoing at Al Quaal but the old 9-holer has been turned into a championship level 18-holer with two tees per hole. It's very playable now by the way - mainly they just need to finish the tee pads and hopefully add navigational aids.

So that's four solid 18+ hole courses within like a 20 minute drive - Powder Mill, Old Town, Al Quaal, and Silver Creek (MI). Plus three 9ers that are all fun in different ways. Eagle Rock is quirky and interesting. Sawyer is pretty open but offers some length. The new church course has decent variety and isn't anything super exciting, but also doesn't have any glaring issues.
Marquette is also centrally located to the UP's other good courses. They are all within about a 2 hour drive, albeit in different directions.

I've attached a link here to the presentation we gave to Manistee City Council on the new family 18 hole putter course, it has a map attached that will give you an idea of what's coming. Think of it as a more mini-golf/obstacle ace run course with distances from 130'-230 feet. It's gonna be very unique for West Michigan. We're aiming for a Labor Day opening but that's all contingent on the Discraft custom painted Chainstar Pros getting to us. :)

Wondering if you have any updates to share on this course?

I don't know if I'm going to get back up there this year after all. Will definitely be back in the spring though.

Wondering if you have any updates to share on this course?

I don't know if I'm going to get back up there this year after all. Will definitely be back in the spring though.

Funny you should ask.

After we got screwed over by Discraft with a five month wait on baskets that never came we switched to Innova. They came through amazingly and got us custom powder-coated baskets in three weeks. We installed 17 of them last week. The 18th one is being fit into a custom made 10' replica of the Manistee lighthouse. All the "mozzarella stick" obstacles are in. These are from recycled maritime dock pilings and are used as obstacles on five of the holes. Tee signs will be done in a week, and benches and trash receptacles will be put in place in spring. A custom steel 20' bridge, also recycled from maritime surplus, will be it place in the next week that will traverse a sand gully between the two holes that are in the dunes by the lake. Udisc course creation is done but not active. Course trimming and grass cleanup will follow. Official opening will be in the spring, but it is playable now.

Played 17 of the holes yesterday with a putter and mid(Mind Bender) and its all you need as this is a true kid friendly/putter course...and it was a blast! This will be the perfect disc golf introduction course for beginners as well as pure simple fun (tons of ace race potential) for those that already know how to play.

Last edited:
Funny you should ask.

After we got screwed over by Discraft with a five month wait on baskets that never came we switched to Innova. They came through amazingly and got us custom powder-coated baskets in three weeks. We installed 17 of them last week. The 18th one is being fit into a custom made 10' replica of the Manistee lighthouse. All the "mozzarella stick" obstacles are in. These are from recycled maritime dock pilings and are used as obstacles on five of the holes. Tee signs will be done in a week, and benches and trash receptacles will be put in place in spring. A custom steel 20' bridge, also recycled from maritime surplus, will be it place in the next week that will traverse a sand gully between the two holes that are in the dunes by the lake. Udisc course creation is done but not active. Course trimming and grass cleanup will follow. Official opening will be in the spring, but it is playable now.

Played 17 of the holes yesterday with a putter and mid(Mind Bender) and its all you need as this is a true kid friendly/putter course...and it was a blast! This will be the perfect disc golf introduction course for beginners as well as pure simple fun (tons of ace race potential) for those that already know how to play.

Wow! Sounds like fun. Can't wait to check it out next year. Who's with me?

Funny you should ask.

Fantastic work and great news. I am a huge fan of supplying the course catalog with family/beginner friendly inventory. Seems the mission of every course installer is a Gold Level/Championship caliber track. We need to cater to all golfers. You sir, are THEY. Can't wait to get out that way again and log some throws. :clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts