• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Monkey Trap disc golf basket

I personally know the monkey, and without bias, one of if not the best catching baskets I've ever used.

What are the price ranges? Are there different models? I just get a link to an email account...

img01159-20110315-0853_1300197763.jpg

I like them a lot, played a course yesterday with some. No complaints!

I'm in the market for a full sized, top of the line basket. My 10 Travelers, one M14, Discatcher Sport and Bullseye all are great...I just want the real thing. I've been considering a Titan or Pro Discatcher.

I have played two courses with them here in Missouri...
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4869
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4868
They are good baskets..One thing I noticed was the chains are heavier than DC or Machs... A light putt towards the top of the chains can be pushed back out over the basket... This is not a bad thing , it lets you know you can shoot a putt with more power and still have a chance of not passing the chains... I would think these baskets definitely have a better chance of catching aces when the disc comes flying in at full speed

Those nubs not being bent all the way over looks like it could chew a putter up if it ever got in to it inside the basket.

Nvm. I guess I never noticed most baskets look this way. Maybe the yellow paint made it more noticeable.

I had 18 put in on a Championship level course.

You don't know me but I would not lie to you.
These are the BEST catching baskets on the market.
He will have them painted any color you want which really makes them stand out from all the others.
Also, you need to look at the basket from the top to see the way the off-set spider web design allows for the chains to never be in line so as to prevent spit outs.
they are also better than the discatchers because of how difficult they are to steal.
with Innova's design, you basically just need a heavy hammer and bust of the bottom lip.
The Monkey traps are way more secure.
The guy who makes them is a stand up guy and is on Team Innova.
Get one or 18. you will NOT be disappointed.

He's on my list of people to contact to get quotes. I like supporting "the little guy" if the price is within bounds of the big guys.

The first course we might put in though might not want bright colors, so that's working against him. Maybe we can have him make camouflage colored baskets? ;)

Anything that sets these apart from the usual Machs and Discatchers? They certainly look nice.
Theyre prolly the second most heavy duty basket besides titans. Russ is a personal friend of mine, great guy and his baskets are really good quality.
He's on my list of people to contact to get quotes. I like supporting "the little guy" if the price is within bounds of the big guys.

The first course we might put in though might not want bright colors, so that's working against him. Maybe we can have him make camouflage colored baskets? ;)

He has a guy he subs out to powdercoat and can do most combos afaik.

If you have the cash its a good buy. Ask him for pics of his front yard baskets, themed like a billiard set in color from 1-9 yellow, blue, red etc.

I play on them frequently, my only personal complaint is the guage of chain he uses, theyre really heavy compared to say a mach 3 chainset. But most people love that, i putt like a sissy so my get deflected out a lot.

I play on them frequently, my only personal complaint is the guage of chain he uses, theyre really heavy compared to say a mach 3 chainset. But most people love that, i putt like a sissy so my get deflected out a lot.

This sounds very appealing to me. I hate Mach3s due to blow throughs, and I don't even putt that hard.

His basket design is OK, I like them a tad deeper, though. His chain top design is interesting. I'd like to get a look at one some day. The chains at the bottom are what interest me the most. I would not make mine that way as it looks labor intensive, but I might make myself one like it if I liked it.:D Just looking at the design, the material used and the powdercoat, I'd say his baskets are a pretty good deal. I couldn't build mine like his for that money.

I bet the heavy chain you aren't liking is a 3/16 chain. Std is a 2/0 straight link. The 3/16 is the next size up. Definitely beefy compared to the 2/0. I've been tempted to use that chain as I can get it in bulk easier than the 2/0. Also easier to get in heavy dipped galv as opposed to electroplated.