• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

Ended up playing a round with the fireball/wrath/insanity combo. Also had the ascend with me. Feel like I'm missing something straight with a gentle fade…thinking of a max weight fission rhythm or putting a crave back in the bag.

If you're comfortable with a nine speed rim, that's a Proton Lift. Hokom Crave is also excellent, but shorter.

Checked the local store inventory online and the domiest discs were like Energy, Motion, Octane, Nitro, Fireball. Like really? Shouldn't the "flippy glidey" ones have the domes? :rolleyes:

Domey octanes bomb! A domey fireball might be usefull. Flat ones aren't, unless you like throwing with 150% power on a flex line to get 250 in distance.

Release date 06/28 for the Watt and fission rhythms... be real curious about those rhythms. I'm thinking 155 and 174. Still my do all driving machine. It's one of those discs that just brings me joy. I just loving shaping shots with it. Might be a nice night to pull out that rainbow swirly dye rhythm (that i havent thrown yet), the plague doctor envy and a elite x pfn comet. Hit them lines or pay the price. It's kinda like playing for money when you're dodging sharp rocks.

Maybe a wave, it's been a year.... oooh fission 147 SE, that might be fun. Probably rather thump on the 162 fizz SE, that light one is reallllly fickle.

Fireballs are never useful unless you're a 400' player. The motion is way better unless you are one of them weirdo thumber throwers or you routinely play in a hurricane.

Are there flat octanes? Luckily I haven't had one of them.

*I got it, 155 plasma pfn wave.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm not sure if MVP needed another straight putter in the lineup. I'm sure the watt will be a great disc, but will people pay attention to it with all the other great putters they make? They could've at least put it under axiom. They only putters they have are speed 3, they could use a slower putter in that lineup.

Now that you mention it axiom would make sense, I wonder if it's a 150 class thing with the black weighting agent being more dense?

Tried my fun bag last night, I like throwing the soft envy but I can't putt it worth a poop i preffered my FIRST envy (proton). Rainbow rhythm is adequate, a little turn at 170g. I went with Monocacy's blue plasma pfn wave, that thing is still a far flying beast. It surprised me that it was easy to throw at 162g I used to find it a little beefy last time i tried, I guess I'm snapping better again yay.

TLDR - If you want to hit aces, throw Gyro.

Hit a practice Ace this weekend with a Proton Deflector. Doesn't count as a real ace as it was like my 5th shot off the tee, and it's only like 160' hole. But if it did count, that would make 3 Aces in my slightly less than 2 years of playing. All of them with MVP. First was a Fission Volt, second was a Neutron Terra, and now this one with the Proton Deflector. And I do bag quite a few other manufacturers and switch up the bag often. Maybe I should go all Gyro...

I picked up my first MVP a year ago April a Neutron Orbital SE and loved it. In May Proton Vanish, and Plasma Crave. A year ago June Fission Wave and Photon, and Plasma Servo, and that's when I decided to flip my 27-disc bag (I like variety for wooded courses). 16-18 discs are putter thru 9-speed are all MVP/Axiom since about March. I still have a Star Mamba in my 11-speeds, and yesterday at PIAS traded my last Halo Mamba for a backup Neutron Wave.

Different story with 13 and 14 speeds which I use for the winter months in moderate to heavy wind. I found nothing MVP to replace a flippy Star Destroyer, Star Shryke, G-Star and Star Corvette those will be difficult to kick out. I did keep a Plasma Mayhem for heavy headwind. All of those are boxed until the fall when the stronger winds return. In September I'll order Plasma Catalyst and Octane and a few overstable neutron 13 and 14 speeds and see what happens during the winter wind.

Next week I'll finish transitioning from x-step to 3-step with my Neutron and Plasma Orbital the last two to do so in the bag, and my 11-speeds should be settled in what stays and what go's. I'll share my bag with weights on here when the transition is complete. The past year slow building my form and flipping my bag, I'll say its been an adventure, but fun!

Ended up playing a round with the fireball/wrath/insanity combo. Also had the ascend with me. Feel like I'm missing something straight with a gentle fade…thinking of a max weight fission rhythm or putting a crave back in the bag.

I used that combo for a long time and only recently switched back to resistors.

Craves fill the straight slot for me. Sure, they're a little slower so they don't handle low lines as well, but with their glide they can get plenty of distance.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure if MVP needed another straight putter in the lineup. I'm sure the watt will be a great disc, but will people pay attention to it with all the other great putters they make? They could've at least put it under axiom. They only putters they have are speed 3, they could use a slower putter in that lineup.

I think they have a lot of overlap with their putters to be honest. Beats the days of only having the Ion, and then the Ion and Anode to choose from at least.

Which putter mold do you guys think will get cut next?

Ions are so hard to find in person, I feel like they'd already be cut if it weren't their first mold. I've stocked up on putting Ions like a hoarder for that reason.

I used that combo for a long time and only recently switched back to resistors.

Craves fill the straight slot for me. Sure, they're a little slower so they don't handle low lines as well, but with their glide they can get plenty of distance.

Do you still throw the fireball or did you drop it entirely for hte resistor? The other thing I am exited about fission fireballs is because my forehand is weak so i can get 155g Photon/Fireball/Volt to cover a lot of my forehand shots. Below those speeds I can usually handle the normal weight stuff.

I think they have a lot of overlap with their putters to be honest. Beats the days of only having the Ion, and then the Ion and Anode to choose from at least.

Ions are so hard to find in person, I feel like they'd already be cut if it weren't their first mold. I've stocked up on putting Ions like a hoarder for that reason.

Envy and Proxy are pretty much goated and aren't going anywhere. The Nomad was JC's first specifically designed disc so it's not getting axed. The Pilot and Ohm are well loved and the Ohm just got some OTB love so I wouldn't think those get looked at. Glitch doesn't even need mentioning. Ion, Anode, Spin are a pretty decent set for 11mm putters but the spin seems to be the least popular at least from what I have observed. I could also see the Atom being considered as it just sits right between the Envy and Proxy. I used to throw two in different stages of wear but switched to a premium Envy and Proxy and never looked back. All that said, Spin or Atom are the two I would think are most likely and I lean toward Atom more. It seems like MVP has the 11 and 9mm putting lineups complete. It looks like Axiom has the 10mm putters and could be in line for one more that is more US than the watt or Proxy and that would round out the 10mm putters.

Atom and Spin do seem to be likely candidates.

I dropped the Fireballs when I went back to resistors. I also bag the Wrath and Nitro, which are both somewhat overstable, so having all four of those driver molds would feel like overlap for me.

Lost my last flippy Wraith 2 days ago and decided to try out a Wave as a replacement. I throw pretty far and usually in wind so I was looking at a few max weight Neutrons in the store, but I somehow ended up grabbing a 169g one by accident.

I honestly couldn't tell if it flies far or not because power hyzerflips in tailwind were usually turning over and burning, way more undestable than I expected. Feels nice, though, I did get one to fly properly and it went about 435' on what felt like a weak throw out of the hand. I'll probably throw in an understable Trespass for now, but I'm keeping this Wave as a backup and for rollers.

My money would be on the Atom. They're only produced in Electron varieties. You can still find Protons, but I don't think they've made any new runs of Proton in a while. It also flies very close to the Proxy, which has become far more popular and is available in a much wider range of plastics. Sad, because I've been putting with the Atoms since the first of the year, but I could pretty easily adapt to the Proxy instead.

Lost my last flippy Wraith 2 days ago and decided to try out a Wave as a replacement. I throw pretty far and usually in wind so I was looking at a few max weight Neutrons in the store, but I somehow ended up grabbing a 169g one by accident.

I honestly couldn't tell if it flies far or not because power hyzerflips in tailwind were usually turning over and burning, way more undestable than I expected. Feels nice, though, I did get one to fly properly and it went about 435' on what felt like a weak throw out of the hand. I'll probably throw in an understable Trespass for now, but I'm keeping this Wave as a backup and for rollers.

Yeah, compared to a Wraith the Wave is pretty understable. The Eclipse Wraiths are nice hyzer flip discs for me at around 350' FH. They flip up and turn a bit but don't burn over. I can't push them much farther than 350 though. I can get the Wraiths out around 375'.

found a Tantrum on the course today that's a good 9/10. I'll try it out sometime this week and see how it compares to my Teleports and Mayhems for me.

found a Tantrum on the course today that's a good 9/10. I'll try it out sometime this week and see how it compares to my Teleports and Mayhems for me.

I'm forehand dominant and I found the Tantrum more reliably stable than the Teleport. The Teleport seemed touchy to me. Released flat it worked pretty well, but if I give it any hint of anny it's turning and not really coming back. I have about 350' of consistent distance.

PIAS in Cheasapeake Virginia is doing it right, erecting an MVP rack. Top row a variety of putters and plastic. 2nd and 3rd row mostly drivers, and a few mid's. 4th row foreigners, I offered to have them removed and placed elsewhere, it took the employee a moment, he just laughed. A few of the employees play, and they have been pushing MVP on the non-playing owner. There's about half of inventory compared to the last time I was there three weeks ago.

I was there to exchange a Fission Wave 148g, for one of three 175g I saw there about 3 weeks ago. Only the pretty pink remained, so I grabbed it. I've had the 148g since September when I made a large online order of Fission's in different weights. But with the addition of the 3-step for almost two months, the 148g was turning too much on me sometimes rolling. When it flew more stable way left LHBH, sometimes a tad of fade. Next out of the box not thrown yet a 153g should be more stable, will see how it goes. On the on-deck circle 157g, and in the dugout 162g. I had a 175g last summer when I made the commitment to flip my bag to MVP/Axiom, but I think it was too soon, and at the time I was x-stepping only to build form. I'll leave the 175g in the box for now and will eventually bring it out and see out it flies with the 3-step. My favorite fission was a 160g sweet to throw, very stable with slight fade, lost it on a beautiful throw, windy day earlier in the year when I was x-stepping. I was admiring the flight so much; I didn't even get upset when I realized it was going into the river.

Attachments

• mvp.jpg
    mvp.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 23
Has anyone thrown or held a Watt yet? I saw somewhere it was a theory that the Watt was a max weight Glitch...but I really don't want to try one out if it isn't. Also how does the Ohm's shape compare to the Glitch as I've frequently heard that as a max weight Glitch, or close to it?

Has anyone thrown or held a Watt yet? I saw somewhere it was a theory that the Watt was a max weight Glitch...but I really don't want to try one out if it isn't. Also how does the Ohm's shape compare to the Glitch as I've frequently heard that as a max weight Glitch, or close to it?

Iceberg TV has a pretty comprehensive review of all three. Sorry, too lazy to post a link. Watt looks cool, a touch less stable than the Ohm as the numbers would indicate. Maybe a slightly more rounded nose.

I'm personally not a fan of the Glitch and probably don't need both a Watt and Ohm in the bag. I'll happily continue to throw my Ohms.

Latest posts