• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Haven't done The Bear yet, but you're definitely not the first to tell me I should. That will be first on my list next time I'm heading toward the foothills and beyond.

Yesterday, me and my son and a friend of mine went to Hardaway Point and City Lake. (City Lake is always fun; I really love that one.)
Hardaway is brand-spanking new, built on an old country club golf course. Nice, big teepads, and a whole bunch of grip-and-rip holes. But OB is in play almost everywhere. Good signage, though, so there aren't too many doubts...
We didn't spend any time in the bar, which was open; we were headed to City Lake from there, so didn't take the time...It's an old Inn in which you can see and smell the stories floating in the air. I'm looking forward to just spending a whole day there. Bring a picnic lunch (they sometimes have food trucks out there, we're told), pay $10 for all-day play, and just max out the experience.
We did speak with the owner on our way out, Miss Vanessa. She was extremely cool and thankful that we had driven "all the way from Charlotte" to play at her spot. I told her straight up: This could be our DG Pinehurst if we wanted or needed such a thing. I could totally see spending a weekend there, especially in the Fall.

Anyway, definitely worth checking out ($5 to play a round, $10 all day). One round there, and 3 more nice courses nearby (Fox Chase, City Lake, Goose Landing) - it's an embarrassment of riches out there.
Random anecdote about Hardaway Point that I heard: The Badin Inn used to be a favorite haunt of Babe Ruth.

Random anecdote about Hardaway Point that I heard: The Badin Inn used to be a favorite haunt of Babe Ruth.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. It was built in 1913 as a French aluminum concern's "company town," but WWI had other plans. And as I mentioned before, you can really see and feel the history of the place emanating from the wood floors and paneling, etc.

It's such a beautiful little corner of North Carolina. I can see all kinds of various dignitaries swooping into the area as a private getaway from the stressors of the world...I know I plan to visit as often as possible.

I'll see if they'll let me build a baseball field somewhere on the property...:thmbup:

any one got word on that falls lake disc golf course? I know they were taking trees down and stuff but it's been silent on any updates/progress recently.

Also with the two temp courses at dix park in the last year, is there a strong possibility there is a permanent course coming there?

Update on Eagles Talon DGC, Falls Lake State Park, Beaverdam section:

The CADL crew was out taping fairways this weekend. They are planning to get everything taped by Nov 1 for a walkthrough with the Stakeholders. :thmbup:

Update on Eagles Talon DGC, Falls Lake State Park, Beaverdam section:

The CADL crew was out taping fairways this weekend. They are planning to get everything taped by Nov 1 for a walkthrough with the Stakeholders. :thmbup:

OK cool--I'm glad to hear it. I follow CADL and hadn't heard much on that front and got concerned that maybe it fell through. Western triangle area has a lot of courses but the eastern, specifically the north eastern part there are less.

OK cool--I'm glad to hear it. I follow CADL and hadn't heard much on that front and got concerned that maybe it fell through. Western triangle area has a lot of courses but the eastern, specifically the north eastern part there are less.

I know your pain. I'm in NE Wake County (when I'm home) and its at least 20 minutes to a quality 18 hole course.

CADL was approved to design one or two new courses at Marsh Creek Park on New Hope Road in Raleigh. But Raleigh P&R put them on hold so they could do a tree survey, count every F***ing tree in the park. :wall: That was about two years ago, pretty typical of how Raleigh P&R works. Who knows if those will ever get built. :\

Closest course to me is Cedar Hills and that is about 20 minutes away. I really enjoy Diavolo/Apex/Middle Creek but these are all 30+ minute drives away. I know I can't complain that much because we do have so many courses in the area. But there is an area in wake county where Apex, Buckhorn, Jones Park, Middle Creek, Diavolo are all within 15-20 minuts which is awesome. I want to live there but logistically it wouldn't make the most sense right now.

Bugging off this thread:

I'll be traveling for work to the Charlotte area next week and will def. bag one (hoping for 2) courses. Suggestions for picking from the following?

Hornets Nest (gotta be prime right now a few weeks after DGPT, right?)
Ashe County Park
Rolling Pines
Canaan Riverbend
Stony Hill (with David's permission)
Renaissance Park
Insert your additional recommendation?

Tuesday/Wednesday. Chance of showers possible - any insight into courses that may effect would be great too.

Thanks.

Bugging off this thread:

I'll be traveling for work to the Charlotte area next week and will def. bag one (hoping for 2) courses. Suggestions for picking from the following?

Ashe County Park
Rolling Pines
Canaan Riverbend
Renaissance Park

Tuesday/Wednesday. Chance of showers possible - any insight into courses that may effect would be great too.

Thanks.

I personally think rolling pines is a little overrated and Renny is not in great shape typically. Elon angry beaver or Nevin park would be better options to replace that one.

Your list I would personally rank.
Stoney
Ashe
Nest
Canaan
Pines
Renny

Though most would crucify me for my Rolling pines take so that's just my opinion.

It's 100% personal preference and what you're looking for - scenery, challenge, fun factor, etc. Each course offers something different. Each one will have detractors, but there are reasons each is considered excellent, based on their ratings.

Alright, thanks to both for the response. Lets say I'm in the 875-900 range, and haven't played much this year, so maybe long wooded tunnel holes won't be as enjoyable with my 3-5 disc travel bag. Scenery, elevation, fun factor are higher up on my list than challenge for this trip. Thoughts?

Alright, thanks to both for the response. Lets say I'm in the 875-900 range, and haven't played much this year, so maybe long wooded tunnel holes won't be as enjoyable with my 3-5 disc travel bag. Scenery, elevation, fun factor are higher up on my list than challenge for this trip. Thoughts?

Hornets Nest is going to be your best bet. I think you'd also really enjoy Reedy Creek. It's a shorter layout, while also still having an excellent wooded, rolling hills layout. In and around Charlotte, Idlewild (Scrapyard), Dry Creek, and Kilborne are also on the same side of town as Reedy and are all good courses. If you're looking for shorter layouts on that side of town, Creekside and Crooked Creek both average hole lengths in the 200-foot range.

Hornets Nest is going to be your best bet. I think you'd also really enjoy Reedy Creek. It's a shorter layout, while also still having an excellent wooded, rolling hills layout. In and around Charlotte, Idlewild (Scrapyard), Dry Creek, and Kilborne are also on the same side of town as Reedy and are all good courses. If you're looking for shorter layouts on that side of town, Creekside and Crooked Creek both average hole lengths in the 200-foot range.

All good suggestions here, Reedy Creek and Kilborne would probably be best for you and they are close together.
Just north of CLT, Bradford Park is a lot of fun (beware the Cedars!) and a good shorter course is Bailey Road (check out #9 for fun factor!).
The best part is all of these were used for the 2018 Am Worlds, kind of sounds like a Disc Golf Mecca, huh? :thmbup:

Bugging off this thread:

Ashe County Park
Rolling Pines
Canaan Riverbend
Renaissance Park

Thanks.

Once again, someone visits us in the middle of their Great Courses of the Carolinas tour. Why doesn't anyone ever come on their Crappy Courses of the Southeast tour, when we'd stand out?

Permission should be easy to get, and there's a tournament this weekend, so Stoney Hill will be in tip-top shape. The proprietors will be ragged and frazzled, but the course will be looking great.

Bugging off this thread:

Ashe County Park
Rolling Pines
Canaan Riverbend
Renaissance Park

Thanks.

Ashe County and Stoney Hill are rather far from Charlotte -- Stoney Hill's about 2 hours southwest, I'm not sure how far Ashe County is.

Is Canaan open on weekdays? It's been a few years since I was there, so perhaps it is.

To my taste, Canaan and Ashe County are really special. If I were to play 1 course off that list, it would be one of those -- Hornets Nest & Renny are excellent, but not that special. (Stoney Hill might be special, too, but I play it all the time).

Bugging off this thread:

Ashe County Park
Rolling Pines
Canaan Riverbend
Renaissance Park

Thanks.

Ashe County, Rolling Pines, and Stoney Hill are all about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Charlotte, one-way. It's basically a full-day trip to play any of those. Were you aware of that, and do you have time for that?

I, too, am a Rolling Pines hater, but will grudgingly admit that it does fit your elevation/scenery/fun criteria. Ashe County and Stoney Hill are both better on those counts, but are also even further away. If you are genuinely willing to drive that far, I would also strongly consider some of the upstate SC courses, especially Grand Central Station and Holston Creek.

None of the Charlotte courses have that much elevation, and most of them aren't terribly scenic either (though Canaan Riverbend has a few jaw-dropper holes). And almost all of the courses there are heavily wooded. So it seems like you need to either prepare for long drives to get what you want (elevation, scenery, and more open holes), or adjust your criteria for what you want to play to match Charlotte better (lots of woods).

For me, among the Charlotte courses, Nevin is the challenging crown jewel, and Reedy Creek and Bradford are the most fun intermediate options. I'm much lower on Hornet's Nest than most people, though I'm admittedly an outlier, but do note that you won't get to play the island basket on hole 2. I have no idea what kind of shape Canaan is in right now, it has some beauty but also some extremely thick rough. I'm never sure whether to recommend Renaissance to people, it is very unique, in both good and bad directions.

Last edited:
Ashe County and Stoney Hill are rather far from Charlotte -- Stoney Hill's about 2 hours southwest, I'm not sure how far Ashe County is.

Is Canaan open on weekdays? It's been a few years since I was there, so perhaps it is.

To my taste, Canaan and Ashe County are really special. If I were to play 1 course off that list, it would be one of those -- Hornets Nest & Renny are excellent, but not that special. (Stoney Hill might be special, too, but I play it all the time).

Yes Stoney Hill is special.

Ashe County, Rolling Pines, and Stoney Hill are all about 1.5 to 2 hours away from Charlotte, one-way. It's basically a full-day trip to play any of those. Were you aware of that, and do you have time for that?

I don't know about Rolling Pines, but Stoney Hill has two distinct 18-hole layouts, and Ashe County is different enough from the longs and shorts to warrant 2 rounds. So that alleviates the drive time, somewhat, compared to driving to 2 different courses.

Plus, the drive to either is much more scenic than the driving across Charlotte, with its traffic.

(Canaan is stil only open on weekends, sorry to say. One of my favorites, for sure. It's scenic, but not in a typical NC way. And it's in fantastic shape. One day, I WILL get to Stoney Hill, dammit. And I WILL sing its praises.)

I think Renny Grey would be a good fit for what the OP is looking for. There is surprising elevation, and lots of really fun shots. One could jump over to Renske for a warm-up or a second round, too.

I agree that Rolling Pines and Ashe County are a bit too far away to make sense, but if you have a whole day to drive up and back, go for it! RP is extremely pretty; AC is, too, but a lot tougher...

I don't know why it never gets mentioned, but Plantation Ruins is, to me, a lovely course, and a whole lot of fun to play. It's like 20-30 minutes from almost every course in town, too, with Renny being only about 15 minutes.

I don't know about Rolling Pines, but Stoney Hill has two distinct 18-hole layouts, and Ashe County is different enough from the longs and shorts to warrant 2 rounds. So that alleviates the drive time, somewhat, compared to driving to 2 different courses.

Plus, the drive to either is much more scenic than the driving across Charlotte, with its traffic.

Rolling Pines is a nice park style course and my favorite in western NC to hit after getting beat up in the woods. Also, near by are Fort Hamby and Highland Hills (where you can get beat up in the woods). I will say I was less than thrilled by HH but that was mainly due to very muddy paths on the side of steep hills.

Latest posts