• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pet peeve

dreadlock86

course bagger
Diamond level trusted reviewer
maybe this was covered in the "what not to do..." thread but i wasn't about to search through that whole thing.

anybody get annoyed when you're asking someone where the basket is on a course you've never played and instead of telling you where the basket is, they tell you where to put your shot?

i don't need you to tell me how to play the hole. i just want to know where the basket is. plus, i find this happening most often with relatively inexperienced players, where you are even more likely to not approach the hole the same way as them.

so, anybody else get miffed by this?

The only time I tell people this is when the hole is blind and you wont see it without walking most if not all the way there. And even then I say throw about there and from there the basket is "x" from there.

Nah. I usually just walk up the fairway and look for myself.

I'm actually quite thankful for any nugget of information given to me by a kind, gracious member of my playing group that saves my lazy ass from having to walk 300 or so feet to discover for myself.

You should be too.

Or, better yet, save you & your playing group the peevishness, get off your lazy ass, & walk the 300 or so feet to discover for yourself whatever information you desire.

Nope.....I suppose some would call it a conversation when there is some back and forth in the dialog. Conversations are often helped along by being polite and asking questions. You never know, you might just make a new friend along the way!

Dang it - I deserve a consultant banner for passing along my astute psychology & sociology skilz! :D

Nope.....I suppose some would call it a conversation when there is some back and forth in the dialog. Conversations are often helped along by being polite and asking questions. You never know, you might just make a new friend along the way!

Dang it - I deserve a consultant banner for passing along my astute psychology & sociology skilz! :D

Good answer, and nice plug for a banner...:p

Looks like the island is getting smaller and smaller

I wouldn't consider that a problem. If I can't see the basket my only other option is to walk over there. Most people are just telling you where there is an angle for your next shot or where the trouble is.

Would rather a course regular tell me the best possible placement, imho. It's called coaching. Some take to it. Others who don't usually progress slower.

Would rather a course regular tell me the best possible placement, imho. It's called coaching. Some take to it. Others who don't usually progress slower.

Yeah, I'm not good enough or proud enough to turn down free advice, especially when that advice also saves me a walk.

And gives you more time to drink a beer

I have a friend that drives me nuts. Every time we play the same course, on every hole, he always asks me were the basket is. He has played the course 6 times. Plus, he only throws 200-230, so its not like he is even going to reach the basket in one shot. I tell him, "Just throw in that direction, and you will eventually see it."

There was a guy that did that when I first played Creekside DGC in Salt Lake, the thing was he sucked. It just got more and more annoying on how to tell me how to play my game that I just wanted him to leave. I guess that was a good way to build mental toughness for tourneys. I later found out that all the locals (who are decent to good) hate that guy, so lucky me...

I have a friend that drives me nuts. Every time we play the same course, on every hole, he always asks me were the basket is. He has played the course 6 times. Plus, he only throws 200-230, so its not like he is even going to reach the basket in one shot. I tell him, "Just throw in that direction, and you will eventually see it."

Just lie to him and point him 180 degrees in the wrong direction, and see what he does. Could be funny.

i've heard "the basket is left of that tree" (there are hundreds of trees in that area!)

There was a guy that did that when I first played Creekside DGC in Salt Lake, the thing was he sucked. It just got more and more annoying on how to tell me how to play my game that I just wanted him to leave. I guess that was a good way to build mental toughness for tourneys. I later found out that all the locals (who are decent to good) hate that guy, so lucky me...

That reminds me of something similar, I have a friend who works 3rd shift at a gas station. He said he has several people coming in and asking for directions everynight. He said the people who are nice and polite he will give them the best directions to go and avoid construction and everything, the rude drunk douchey people who come in and treat him like the typical gas station scrub get directions going the complete opposite way then they want to go. He said he's done it a bunch of times and I thought that was pretty dang funny.

Ass-toot is right :D

Meh Nah Nah Nah, do do do do dooooo......;)

Mahna+Mahna.jpg

Last edited: