• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

Most digital video is encoded using lossy compression, per Wikipedia:

:thmbup:

I see where you're going with the differentiation now.

On the technical side, compression doesn't matter. The process of capturing the image is still a series of still frames. The shutter moves from in front of the sensor, exposing it to light, and then covering again.

Even though this wiki references what's called 'Long GOP' compression, you still have to save it within a series of frames. The exact job of a "frame" in digital vs film/video cameras is slightly different, in digital it's basically reduced to not much more than a chronological measurement, but the camera still records a series of frames. It's like putting a shortcut on your desktop, the program still has to exist on the drive. So the frame with the information must still exist in order to be replicated on other frames.

Even if I take a Long-GOP video and slow it down to 9fps, it will look like a series of images to you.

:thmbup:

I see where you're going with the differentiation now.

On the technical side, compression doesn't matter. The process of capturing the image is still a series of still frames. The shutter moves from in front of the sensor, exposing it to light, and then covering again.

Even though this wiki references what's called 'Long GOP' compression, you still have to save it within a series of frames. The exact job of a "frame" in digital vs film/video cameras is slightly different, in digital it's basically reduced to not much more than a chronological measurement, but the camera still records a series of frames. It's like putting a shortcut on your desktop, the program still has to exist on the drive. So the frame with the information must still exist in order to be replicated on other frames.

Even if I take a Long-GOP video and slow it down to 9fps, it will look like a series of images to you.

i seriously love your explanations and time you spend of your day to make your point

please never change

i seriously love your explanations and time you spend of your day to make your point

please never change

:D:D:thmbup::thmbup:

I hope it doesn't come across aggro. I just like learning new things every day and challenging my own beliefs.

This discussion with teemkey made me ponder philosophically whether the cameras capture process could override the concept of "motion pictures"...but I think the ultimate conclusion that I came to was that if you can slow it down and it still turns into frames then the answer would be "no"

I assume he's referring to Ledgestone 2015 Final 9. Link goes to the worst of it. In JohnE's defense, this hole was a disaster of a bad design and has since been taken out of the course, I believe.

Yeah, then they moved it to the Disc Golf Values course. The subsequent islands aren't tempting enough to run: https://youtu.be/IbA9O2Zu_E8?t=12m53s

Not liking a hole is no excuse for completely checking out of a round. I don't know if that was JohnE's intention, though. His mental game could have explained those shots.

Yeah, then they moved it to the Disc Golf Values course. The subsequent islands aren't tempting enough to run: https://youtu.be/IbA9O2Zu_E8?t=12m53s

Not liking a hole is no excuse for completely checking out of a round. I don't know if that was JohnE's intention, though. His mental game could have explained those shots.

Oh, JohnE was checked out of that round long before he got to that hole. He blew up on the baseball field hole earlier and was locked into 5th place by the time he got to the volleyball hole. I doubt it was his feelings for the hole that inspired the tin cup action. In fact, I have no idea what his feelings on the hole were...just know that the hole was never popular.

Regarding the Vegas hole, given the length, the design has some potential IF the "islands" were a touch bigger or weren't skip-city due to the low cut grass. But as is and in that wind, it's just an embarrassing hole at an NT event.

This site is always such a crack up. Really, it is simple common courtesy. The guy doesn't want to be filmed, asks nicely....don't film him. I know running around with torches and pitchforks is always a lot of fun and all, but courtesy is not such a complicated issue.

There is no rule against talking loudly on your phone in a crowded restaurant, but that simply does not make it the right thing to do. You have the right to do it, but I will likely ask you nicely not to. Of course, mister verizon could take the issue to his favorite cell phone forum, generating pages of discussion on the injustice of it all....but, in the end it about courtesy to your fellow man.

Carry on.

This site is always such a crack up. Really, it is simple common courtesy. The guy doesn't want to be filmed, asks nicely....don't film him. I know running around with torches and pitchforks is always a lot of fun and all, but courtesy is not such a complicated issue.

There is no rule against talking loudly on your phone in a crowded restaurant, but that simply does not make it the right thing to do. You have the right to do it, but I will likely ask you nicely not to. Of course, mister verizon could take the issue to his favorite cell phone forum, generating pages of discussion on the injustice of it all....but, in the end it about courtesy to your fellow man.

Carry on.

Completely disagree. This isn't/wasn't a common courtesy thing. Dude is a PRO disc golfer. He was "filmed" in a tournament. He player poorly, and then asked to be edited out after the fact due to "distractions". I suppose we'll never know, but do you think he would have asked for the "common courtesy" had he won???????????

Can you imagine Greg Norman nicely asking CBS not to film him as he tanked the final round of the 1996 Masters? The Falcons politely requesting that FOX not film them during the second half of Super Bowl 51? Bill Buckner kindly inquiring that ABC edit him out of the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series?

The guy is a professional disc golfer. Having cameras filming your round (and publishing the video later) has become an increasingly common part of being a pro disc golfer, especially a high profile "touring" pro disc golfer. So there's an obligation on his part to accept that he's being filmed and go along with it...whether he's playing well or not. Especially if his actual grievance (so called "distractions") had nothing whatsoever to do with the presence of the cameras.

I really don't think anyone has the torches and pitchforks out, but there's no reason the broader topic shouldn't be a topic of discussion. This was bound to come up eventually, it just happened to be JohnE who made it relevant.

Can you imagine Greg Norman nicely asking CBS not to film him as he tanked the final round of the 1996 Masters? The Falcons politely requesting that FOX not film them during the second half of Super Bowl 51? Bill Buckner kindly inquiring that ABC edit him out of the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series?

The guy is a professional disc golfer. Having cameras filming your round (and publishing the video later) has become an increasingly common part of being a pro disc golfer, especially a high profile "touring" pro disc golfer. So there's an obligation on his part to accept that he's being filmed and go along with it...whether he's playing well or not. Especially if his actual grievance (so called "distractions") had nothing whatsoever to do with the presence of the cameras.

I really don't think anyone has the torches and pitchforks out, but there's no reason the broader topic shouldn't be a topic of discussion. This was bound to come up eventually, it just happened to be JohnE who made it relevant.

I was at the Bill Buckner game. It was painful. Two things. It ruined his life, you should see him talk about it. Also, it wasn't his fault, it was a bad management decision. Bill had weaknesses, including the fact that he couldn't bend over due to many injuries. Pretty much everyone in the audience did a "what?" when he was brought in. No one thought it was the right move. Of course, no one will ever know why the manager made that decision.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of JEM.

I was at the Bill Buckner game. It was painful. Two things. It ruined his life, you should see him talk about it. Also, it wasn't his fault, it was a bad management decision. Bill had weaknesses, including the fact that he couldn't bend over due to many injuries. Pretty much everyone in the audience did a "what?" when he was brought in. No one thought it was the right move. Of course, no one will ever know why the manager made that decision.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of JEM.

Why else move to Boise...

Equating the Vintage Open to the superbowl or the masters is kind of ridiculous. A preseason game, a warm up to the next major. Which is pretty much what the Vintage is. Last year it was a B-tier between WACO and Jonesboro, this year it was an A-tier between Jonesboro and GBO. Now i am not saying it is not a good tourney and it is growing The field doubled between this year and last and the Pro field tripled. But it isn't the Masters...