• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reviews going un-noticed

humchris85

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever posted a review and have no one give it either an up or down even after a year of the review being up. I've had a lot that have gotten little recognition, usually due to the out of the way location of the courses or the lack of players on the course, but one course in particular has not been recognized at all, Crane Creek in Rohnert Park, CA. I'm just wondering if anyone could point out any reasons they could see why my review didn't get noticed, even though there were ones after it that got ups and downs. Feel free to let me know if there's something wrong with my review, I won't get offended.

Even tho I never played it I gave you a thumbs up because it was truly a helpful review. Only review I have with no up or downs is an extinct course that I wont say the name of. But I was the last to review it and it dosn't really show up on the database anymore, so it makes sense. Besides that I think the lowest I have is at Pride Park with 3 up and no downs.

Based on the fact that your rating is about the same as the overall course rating might play a roll. People could have saw it and had noting good or bad to think about it so they just left it alone. Wouldn't trip too much tho cus its all for the birds....

Thanks DirtyMitten. I just wonder about those kind of things sometimes. I wonder if it's something that I did wrong when I look back through my old reviews and see that this one looks so lonely, and the others around it are getting love. :D

Mine just seem to get thumbs down, feel free to check them out....let me know what I can do to make them better.

i only have 1 review that went unnoticed and it is RIP now

I have reviewed 3 courses over a year ago that have not received any votes. 2 of those are the only 9 hole courses I have reviewed. Is that coincidence?

There are three key reasons that reviews may not get any votes:

1. Lots of reviews being done on the same day, which quickly push one's new review off the main page. Tim or someone else could give a better answer than me, but it seems the most reviews are done on Mondays, after everyone has played over the weekend.

2. Lots of reviews being done for the same course. As long as you're the most current review for a course, you'll be at the top of the list, which leads to more votes.

3. You're reviewing an unknown/smaller course. If you want to get a lot of votes, review Idlewild or Flip City. If you don't want any votes, review an out-of-the-way, ho-hum 9-hole course.

If it makes you feel any better I have almost 20 reviews with no thumbs. There are some areas where there just aren't a ton of members so reviews don't get voted on very often.

I recently reviewed bicentennial, I put a lot of effort into it cause it's my home course, I just hope someone finds it useful. :/

Isn't the underlying reason, or at least one of the reasons, for a thread like this is that the OP is panhandling for votes?

Last edited:
Isn't the underlying reason, or at least one of the reasons, for a thread like this is that the OP is panhandling for votes?

Reviews can be helpful without people ever voting for it. Just because people might not :thmbup: a review doesn't mean it isn't helpful. Aiming for votes shouldn't be the only reason to write a good review.

Eight of my 25 reviews have no votes (yet), but some don't surprise me...I'm not sure anybody plays a couple of the nine holers near me.
Yes, I do find it a little frustrating, especially when a very nice (Cabin Creek), or a very popular (Monroe) course gets no feedback. :\
Most of the time I post a review, it's off the front page by the end of the day. That's a testament to the popularity of this site. :clap:

Another reason is if you have multiple reviews on the front page, one can only upvote for one of your reviews within a set time. Many people may have saw it but then could only vote once and forgot to come back to it.

I have 36 reviews, two have no votes. One was written just last week, so that's no big deal, the other I wrote in November, updated in June and still have no votes. It's a small, underused course, so that is probably the reason. Of my 36 reviews, a large majority have three or fewer votes. I think New England in general is not particularly active on this site.

making a thread just to get thumbs up? i thought asking for votes was a no no...

I have 36 reviews, two have no votes. One was written just last week, so that's no big deal, the other I wrote in November, updated in June and still have no votes. It's a small, underused course, so that is probably the reason. Of my 36 reviews, a large majority have three or fewer votes. I think New England in general is not particularly active on this site.

You beat me to it! Aside from you and that other guy from that thread last week, I've seen very few New Englanders on here and even less from Maine and NH.

I don't always vote on every review I read, only the ones that I feel are good enough to thumb up or bad enough to thumb down.

Made the case a while back to include a "so-so" option (or something like that) but timg kiboshed it.

Your review was certainly decent enough, especially that bit at the end about the alt tee ...

Eight of my 25 reviews have no votes (yet), but some don't surprise me...I'm not sure anybody plays a couple of the nine holers near me.
Yes, I do find it a little frustrating, especially when a very nice (Cabin Creek), or a very popular (Monroe) course gets no feedback. :\
Most of the time I post a review, it's off the front page by the end of the day. That's a testament to the popularity of this site. :clap:

Your Cabin Creek review was long and seemed well written. But if not for you posting about it in this thread I would not have read all of that.

The reason why is because when I read reviews (or anything on the Internet) that looks like one long paragraph I have to strain my eyes to read it all so I can keep track of where I am while reading. Yours wasn't that bad, it's obvious you used the "enter" key a few times. But you never spaced the paragraphs out.

What would have been better is to add a space with a new paragraph. In other words, hit enter twice instead of once whenever you use enter. Like I'm doing here. :)

Might sound like no big deal but you see people complain about posts like that on forums all the time and maybe that's why no one is reading yours.

A good looking/easy reading format makes a difference. :)

If you don't want any votes, review an out-of-the-way, ho-hum 9-hole course.
I would actually say that a ho-hum 9-hole course in a populated area will probably get more thumbs than a great 18-hole course in a rural area.

Hands down the number one way to get votes on your review is for the the course you're reviewing to get exposure. Recent reviews, hole of the day, and esspecially the top 10 list are the best ways to get this. This is why I call the courses on the Top 10 list "spoiled brats".