• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sandbagging

Who the hell wants to put this much thought into winning over priced plastic? At some point players have to realize that they have enough plastic and no amount of sandbagging BS is worth it. Play for cash!!

I usually say people are baggers if they have certain skills, not ratings. If you drive over 400', you are an open player. Don't cry about how your putting is really inconsistent, you can throw farther than 85% of the field, you are an open player. If you routinely can 50' jump putts you are an open player. I don't care that you "only" throw 340', with putting like that you are in for a deuce on any hole 390' or in.

Who the hell wants to put this much thought into winning over priced plastic? At some point players have to realize that they have enough plastic and no amount of sandbagging BS is worth it. Play for cash!!

I usually say people are baggers if they have certain skills, not ratings. If you drive over 400', you are an open player. Don't cry about how your putting is really inconsistent, you can throw farther than 85% of the field, you are an open player. If you routinely can 50' jump putts you are an open player. I don't care that you "only" throw 340', with putting like that you are in for a deuce on any hole 390' or in.

Wait... everybody on this forum can throw 400'+ with an Omega SS putter... into a headwind. And make 98.2% of all putts within 100'.

i play with int players that have 400 feet of distance but no control. i beat them because i have touch around the basket and can putt. 400 feet means nothing

man i should start bagging some tourneys.

maybe you should

Today was my first official tourney after giving some leagues a try from time to time I figured it was time. Well I decided to play intermediate level of a tourney a couple hours from my house and was shocked to say the least of how crazy of scores these guys were that considered themselves intermediate. Overall of local tourney scores I saw on pdga.com, my scores compared to middle of the pack advanced guys. The top intermediate guys were right there with the top advanced level guys and beat probably 5 of the 10 guys playing open. I am just wondering is this a common practice around the US?

Was this a PDGA tournament?

Did the hot-shooting Intermediates play like they normally do, or happen to shoot far better than their norms?

Were the 5 or 10 open guys they beat really "open" quality players? If so, did they shoot their normal scores, and much worse than normal?

at the tourney i played the guy who won intermediate won by 9 strokes. he would of finished tied for third in advanced and tied for second in open.

That sounds like sandbagging.
Would be interesting to see if he just had a great tourney, if he has made tremendous progress on his game recently, or if he played like that all the time. If he plays like that all the time, he's bagging.

the only people that bitch about sandbaggers are other sandbaggers that are pissed that they got beat by one of their own kind.

A lot of times these baggers get destroyed when placed against people of their own skill level. I have seen a few guys get their ratings up towards 935, get hounded for being in INT then move up and take DFL like 4 times. only to rejoin the ranks of MA2. although there are some who can handle it and are just straight up baggers.

That sounds like sandbagging.
Would be interesting to see if he just had a great tourney, if he has made tremendous progress on his game recently, or if he played like that all the time. If he plays like that all the time, he's bagging.

It seems highly unlikely that a player could play like that all the time, and maintain a low-900s player rating. Something's got to give.

Nah, more than likely he either doesnt play many sanctioned events or has not played a sanctioned event in a while.

I just broke the 900 mark again, now that my early rounds are dropping off. One of my last rounds last year was a 986 or something like that but all my 860-880 rounds killed my rating. I was truly able to bag with a 895 rating for most of the year.

Why is everybody so scared of losing? It is ok to not be the best at something. There is no shame in playing open and coming DFL. I have way more respect for every DFL open finish than first place AM finishes. Suck it up, play "up" from your rating if possible, you will be a better player and a more humble human being.

^the prob is most of these guys dont register with the PDGA.

Perhaps. I've heard such claims, and I guess they could be true somewhere. I once searched tournament results in my area and couldn't find any non-members with multiple wins.

I tend to think of "sandbagger" as a myth, or at least near-myth, in sanctioned tournament play.

There is no shame in playing open and coming DFL.

There's not a lot of wisdom in it, either.

The notion that players improve faster by competing above their skill level doesn't seem to be supported by the evidence. Makes we wonder how the people accused of being sandbaggers ever improved to that point to begin with.

I hear the I won't move up til I win excuse, I hear the I won't move up until I'm more consistent excuse, and so on. But really I think it's human nature...would you move up if you are cashing plastic everytime rather than donating to the same 5 pros who win every local tourney?

Sometimes I think I should move down to Intermediate and try to win some plastic and not go broke every weekend.

The best solution will not happen ever due to PDGA guidelines.....One division but sloped entry fees where lower rated players pay significantly less than higher rated players and everyone gets tourney swag for entry.
1000+=60 entry
970+=50 entry
940+=40 entry
910+=30 entry
880+=20 entry
everyone else 10 bucks

Thats how I'd like to see it done

There's not a lot of wisdom in it, either.

The notion that players improve faster by competing above their skill level doesn't seem to be supported by the evidence. Makes we wonder how the people accused of being sandbaggers ever improved to that point to begin with.

I agree with this notion....you learn more if you move up, its a better experience, more rewarding , blah blah blah...sounds like some crap the top pros say to fool you into giving up your cash every weekend

^yep. more people that play open the more the winners get. sounds like the sheep being led by the wolves. come on over here. me and my buds will help you get better.