• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SoCal Noob

If driving is your biggest problem then you are doing quite well. I found that the best way to get more consistant drives is simply done by practicing not playing. Instead of playing a round go out into an open or lightly wooded area and throw your entire bag. Mark a spot in the field or drop your bag off and walk a couple hundred feet and try and get as close to your bag/taget as possible.

Another suggestion, stay away from those super high speed drivers. Once your form is clean and you have some accuracy you can move up to those faster discs.

Dan Beato's video on youtube can help with distance and accuracy as well, among many other videos that can be found on youtube. Ultimately, I think that practice is the best way to improve your game.

Last edited:
After playing yesterday my drives are looking alot better and now my mids/upshots are coming out.... well Wonky... Guess thats noob inconsistancy for ya!

The weekly here in Redlands works as follows: $5 total, broken down as $4 to enter the tournament, and $1 to enter the Ace Pool. I believe it is only $2/$1 if you are a member of the club that runs the weekly. There are a couple different divisions, with the higher players winning cash and lower level players winning discs.

I would imagine that most are run this way, but I can't poeak for anything outside this area. Not sure on the handicapping...Good luck!

Might I recommend the OCDGang? (ocdgang.com)
This is a group that plays two "point series" each year, no cost to play with them, and very friendly.
Each season is 25 weeks and only your best 15 finishes are counted. They play at all the different courses in SoCal and usually start at 730am on Sundays, some Saturdays also. We usually have between 10 and 20 people show up each week.
Some weeks are 'special events' having different requirements like, single disc, doubles, various throws off the tee, scramble/worst disc, ect...
I've only made it out a few times this season and am out of running for overall points winner, but it is still fun to go to. Being good isn't required, after three games you are given a handicap (avg. of best 3 of last 5 games) so the winners are usually the ones who show constant improvement.
If you come and I'm not there, tell Mike that Darrell recommended this. I'm sure you will get a warm welcome.

send me any info you can on this. I might want to check this out.

Might I recommend the OCDGang? (ocdgang.com)
This is a group that plays two "point series" each year, no cost to play with them, and very friendly.
Each season is 25 weeks and only your best 15 finishes are counted. They play at all the different courses in SoCal and usually start at 730am on Sundays, some Saturdays also. We usually have between 10 and 20 people show up each week.
Some weeks are 'special events' having different requirements like, single disc, doubles, various throws off the tee, scramble/worst disc, ect...
I've only made it out a few times this season and am out of running for overall points winner, but it is still fun to go to. Being good isn't required, after three games you are given a handicap (avg. of best 3 of last 5 games) so the winners are usually the ones who show constant improvement.
If you come and I'm not there, tell Mike that Darrell recommended this. I'm sure you will get a warm welcome.

Trauma, in case the 15 out of 25 thing at OG sounds like too much of a commitment:

Chavez Ridge Weekly Doubles (Monday): Show up at 5:30, it's random doubles. $2 is all it takes, and we flip discs to determine partners. Then, groups are arranged and we play the round. I like the Chavez weekly because it's really laid back, that course BEGS to be played doubles, and there is a good spread of talent.

Whittier Weekly (Thursday): This one is $7, they assign you a handicap (they will give you -10 if they don't know you and you let them know you are new). If your handicap doesn't help you at all, they may give you more points if you come next week. Each time you win money, they remove a point from your handicap.

I noticed your a member of Sunday sunday sunday meetup group. They meet up every Sunday at different courses around Socal. It is a good mix of players. No pressure and A good time.

Latest posts