• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

taking away the 2 meter rule

MurderMike41370

Birdie Member
When I went out to masters cup recently, Dave Feldberg was on a rant about the 2 meter rule (disc caught in a tree 6.6 feet above the ground. He said he is going to suggest it removed from PDGA events because its pointless and California is the only state that has it. I myself don't care for the rule. What do you guys think?

A recent tournament I played called a 3 meter rule... A guy on my card stuck one up in the tree on his first drive and eventually lost in a 5 hole playoff against me for 3rd. I still feel kind of bad about it although it was a pretty bad shot.

I don't care for the rule either, but if it is called I will gladly play by it. Knowing that you are in danger of taking a stroke for sticking one in the trees makes you take different lines and play a little more conservatively. No one person's discs stick to trees any better, so it's the same for everyone.

With my 20+ tournaments I don't believe it has ever been in effect. So... move to NC :D. I would send angry letters to the TD's that are using it :D.

Last edited:
It my opinion, it should be eliminated, I am from the Delaveaga-Ryan Ranch area, and our area has the kinds of trees that will hold discs.
I realize the 2 meter rule is trying to make a point to the player to stay out of the trees or else, but we all hit trees from time to time and the 2 meter rule creates this random situation where sometimes a player gets penalized and sometimes they do not, so luck becomes more of a factor with the 2 meter rule, so I am for eliminating it.

I realize the 2 meter rule is trying to make a point to the player to stay out of the trees or else, but we all hit trees from time to time and the 2 meter rule creates this random situation where sometimes a player gets penalized and sometimes they do not, so luck becomes more of a factor with the 2 meter rule, so I am for eliminating it.

what he said

Keep it as option

A shot that comes to rest above 2m is by definition a crappy shot, like one over a fence ob, in the water or otherwise unplayable from where it lies.

Said as an old Californian...

No one is reading there rule books. There is no mention of any height meter rule.

It can still be used at the TD's discretion.

803.08 A. "...The director may designate a one throw penalty for discs that come to rest two meters or higher above the playing surface. The director may declare the two meter rule to be in effect for the entire course, or just for individual objects."

Should a drive stuck 40' above the pin be a birdie?

Sorry, just playing Devil's advocate.

tumblr_lr359hAreH1qz4yoao1_500.png

A shot that comes to rest above 2m is by definition a crappy shot, like one over a fence ob, in the water or otherwise unplayable from where it lies.

Said as an old Californian...

The thing is, everyone who hits the ground over the fence or the water is going to be penalized. Only some people who hit the same tree 3m up will be stuck in the tree. And the differentiating factor between people who hit the tree and stick and people who hit the tree and come down is only luck.

It can still be used at the TD's discretion.

803.08 A. "...The director may designate a one throw penalty for discs that come to rest two meters or higher above the playing surface. The director may declare the two meter rule to be in effect for the entire course, or just for individual objects."

This exact rule is what Dave was talking about eliminating and that the TD has to write a letter to the PDGA 30 days prior to an event if said TD wants to include the rule....

The thing is, everyone who hits the ground over the fence or the water is going to be penalized. Only some people who hit the same tree 3m up will be stuck in the tree. And the differentiating factor between people who hit the tree and stick and people who hit the tree and come down is only luck.
I agree but I think there is a specific scenario where you are rewarded for taking a dumb shot and that would be a sheltered pin.

Luck is indeed a significant factor in such instances. This can be true in any number of shots: "parked" shots that rollaway after hitting a root vs. skips that hit the pole and stop dead rather than flying another 40 feet away. Bad luck or good luck, one plays from where the disc came to rest (with the exception of 803.06 and other penalized lies).

Among the answers I've heard trying to rationalize doing away with the 2m is that it is analagous to casual relief of other sorts. That hasn't made sense to me as trees - certainly almost any tree one where one could stick over 2m - have inevitably been there awhile and are not in and of themselves essentially temporary nor seasonal, like poison oak. They are part of the course. Play it where it lies, and if you can't do so take a stroke.

The rules is used here in Colroado at about half the tournaments.

Personally I like the rule when I am not stuck in a tree and don't like it when I am.

The reason it is good is that it adds some risk in throwing a high shot over trees rather than the shot up the gut.

Personally I think you should have to take a penalty or throw from in the tree. If your disc is stuck in a tree you must throw it from where it lies.

Well sometimes you have a protected basket that needs that extra factor. It really depends on the course. Courses that are heavily wooded might not need it and wide open courses need more of a challenge.

Could you throw from the tree as it lies w/o penalty, if you could climb to it? Just wondering. Only been throwing bout 9 mo and still play where it lies. Casual player.