• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I've got a red one just like it, it was the first disc I bought when I started playing in 1996.

Nice! And another dude in the other comet thread posted a red one his friend got in 1998. Cool.

So now I'm not sure if my blue Saturn above is from my 2005 activity or my 1995-1999 activity. By the wear on mine it looks like it could be either.

Thank everyone for giving me a good idea of the range of years for the Saturn stamp era!

I had a blue one in 1996-97 for sure. I remember showing it to my sixth grade class back when I was teaching. (Yep, the hardest thing I've ever done, and I only made it two years. Hats off to all of you quality educators who have the chops for it out there! I love you all!)

Companion 2005 saturn has 0.25 cm smaller diameter. The 2005 is pro-d plastic, right?
The Comet from 1995-2002ish had the Saturn stamp in a plastic that was called "Tournament Pro plastic", it shrunk out of the mold quite a bit so if you have a Tournament Pro Comet and and Z Comet the Z Comet will have a noticeably larger diameter.

Pro D came after Tournament Pro and they really are nothing alike. Tournament Pro felt more like X Plastic than Pro D, although Tournament Pro wasn't a durable as X plastic is. It was more durable than Pro D is, though.

Anybody know when discraft stopped putting a) 'Walled Lake' and b) the patent number, on their discs? I couldn't find when they moved Wixom.
I don't know when they moved to Wixom, but the Comet carried the old Walled Lake tooling for a long time after that.

In around 2010-11 there were weird lawsuits over items with expired patent numbers on them, so for a little while there were Comets that still had the Walled Lake tooling with the patent number marbled out. By the Summer of 2011 the third run LE Comets were out; those had no tooling. I'm not sure when the no tooling Comets were replaced with the Wixom tooled Comets, but the Comets with the Wixom tooling on the rim were out by 2014.

None of that had anything to do with when Discraft actually moved, it's just a rough timeline of when the Comet tooling was changed.

Three Putt: Thank you for the informative response & for sorting out the nuances. Answers my questions well.
And now that you tell the plastic story it makes perfect sense. I recall my blue Saturn does have a slight gloss and slightly stiffer feel than say, my Pro-D Crush.

Now just for fun, can the era of when this silver holo-like foil was introduced be narrowed down? 1995-ish versus 2005-ish?

Just ordered a Z comet. I have never thrown a comet but it gets a lot of love so I am looking forward to checking it out. Seems like a nice all-around disc.

So, I fully expect it to automatically make me a top-notch disc golfer while simultaneously removing all flaws in my form. Seems reasonable.

Just ordered a Z comet. I have never thrown a comet but it gets a lot of love so I am looking forward to checking it out. Seems like a nice all-around disc.

So, I fully expect it to automatically make me a top-notch disc golfer while simultaneously removing all flaws in my form. Seems reasonable.
;)
The X will remove the flaws in your form, as the only mistake it will allow you to make is nose up. Any OAT and a X Comet will not fly correctly; a Z Comet will accept a small amount of form flaws.

I didn't like the hand feel of X at first, but man, as it beats in, it just feels better and better.

;)
I didn't like the hand feel of X at first, but man, as it beats in, it just feels better and better.

I picked up 4 X-lines recently and I really like the feel of this plastic.

I got a purple, two teal and one yellow. One oddity I found though was the yellow is much softer and grippier than the other three.

Is this an issue with color, or just an anomaly in the molding process? I'd love for them to all feel like the yellow disc.

I only have a handful of X across different molds, so I cannot answer on the color, but personally, the firmer the better. My issue was that new X seems to have so much release agent/ plasticizer leaching out. Washing it did not help but required several weeks of play for it to evaporate.

;)
The X will remove the flaws in your form, as the only mistake it will allow you to make is nose up. Any OAT and a X Comet will not fly correctly; a Z Comet will accept a small amount of form flaws.

Unacceptable. The comet must always proficiently deal with all of my flaws while simultaneously flying exactly where I desire it to go at all times. That way I have set reasonable expectations for it.

Three Putt: Thank you for the informative response & for sorting out the nuances. Answers my questions well.
And now that you tell the plastic story it makes perfect sense. I recall my blue Saturn does have a slight gloss and slightly stiffer feel than say, my Pro-D Crush.

Now just for fun, can the era of when this silver holo-like foil was introduced be narrowed down? 1995-ish versus 2005-ish?
It's not silver, but the stamp effect here is that same:

picture.php

Those stamps have been around as long as I can remember; they for sure were in use by '95.

By 2005 a Comet would have looked pretty much like this:

picture.php

At the very beginning of the switch from Tournament Pro to X plastic they still used the Saturn stamp, but those still had the extra "Discraft" stamp at the top and 'Elite X" stamp at the bottom. 2005 would have been 2-3 years after the Comet was converted to X plastic.

I got a purple, two teal and one yellow. One oddity I found though was the yellow is much softer and grippier than the other three.

Is this an issue with color, or just an anomaly in the molding process? I'd love for them to all feel like the yellow disc.

Ha I love yellow, especially ESP. Funny you should mention that, my most treasured stock (? 3rd? run not LE) ESP Comet is a yellow that is super trippy.. Haha grippy and is like a weird Z-ESP blend. Firmer than my other ESP's.

Hmmm and my lost elite X was a 2005 stamp.. Goddamn! 179g aaarghhh!

Last edited:
I only have a handful of X across different molds, so I cannot answer on the color, but personally, the firmer the better. My issue was that new X seems to have so much release agent/ plasticizer leaching out. Washing it did not help but required several weeks of play for it to evaporate.
That leaching on X plastic isn't really an old/new thing; it's always done that, although it doesn't always do that. White was a color I perceived to have less of an issue with this, and orange was a color I perceived to have this problem consistently. It's all anecdotal as my sample size was never huge, and I have not bought an X disc in a really long time so it may be more of an issue now that it was then. It was always an issue, though.

Ha I love yellow, especially ESP. Funny you should mention that, my most treasured stock (? 3rd? run not LE) ESP Comet is a yellow that is super trippy.. Haha grippy and is like a weird Z-ESP blend. Firmer than my other ESP's.

Hmmm and my lost elite X was a 2005 stamp.. Goddamn! 179g aaarghhh!
For years the only color I will buy an X APX in is yellow. The yellows are money, the other colors are hit and miss meh.

I rarely admit to that because it makes me sound like a lunatic, but since we are starting a yellow Discraft conspiracy theory I thought I'd throw that in there. :|

Haha yup I swore I would never buy into that load of hoooey.. Yet here I am, white neutron for MVP, yellow Comet's, yellow shaky Z surges.. Haha crazy as the rest of em now!

Haha yup I swore I would never buy into that load of hoooey.. Yet here I am, white neutron for MVP, yellow Comet's, yellow shaky Z surges.. Haha crazy as the rest of em now!
I need all the excuses I can get "AHHHH...I hate this blue Comet! They were all out of yellow and this one just flies like ****!" :|

In one of Brodie's early "Building the Bag" videos, Paul was talking to him about how different colors in the same plastic will have different stabilities.

Now if You'll excuse me, I need to surf the net for yellow X-line Comets.

Latest posts