• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The DGCR Mold: Let's build a disc!

This thread makes me smile. All these people gushing over a lid, when I guarantee maybe a couple people currently bag a lid.

Not saying a Polecat clone wouldn't sell, but I bet they wouldn't make the bags of the vast majority of customers.

A lid is the only acceptable answer to this question, but that's not going to make Tim much money.

I just added a kitty back to my bag. It's really only there because it's so fun to throw though. Although now that Proxies have been pulled, it does fill that role on shorter distances.

I just added a kitty back to my bag. It's really only there because it's so fun to throw though. Although now that Proxies have been pulled, it does fill that role on shorter distances.

:clap::clap::clap:

I don't golf without a Polecat, and winter golf is Zephyr/Polecat/Putter.

there are a few of us that throw lids every round.
But tbird888's concern is still valid.
Should we make a lid and hope the non-lid-throwing DGCRers will buy them because it is a DGCR disc? Or should we aim for a putter (or other) that most everyone will use?

IMO, we should aim for disc sales to at least break even on the mold cost.

Last edited:
What do you think will sell?

I honestly don't know, but lids are kind of niche molds. Something like a versatile mid or putter will more than likely outsell a lid by a considerable margin. That doesn't mean that the lid shouldn't be pursued. It just means you're limiting your market to make Tim money.

No one is putting out a decent lid that can compete with the Polecat, and yet the Polecat could use an update and a better quality baseline plastic. Plus it was the first thing on a lot of people's minds when this idea what bought up. Its the perfect niche market void.

I played a round yesterday that I ended up heavily leaning on my Polecat for 10 out of 18 holes.
Its just such a good mold for doing a little bit of everything well.

I say we stick a fork in the mold debate, and get this "Troll-Cat" on the way!

Oh. I had been firmly in the woodcock camp. And think that's a great choice.

But I would buy TONS of cycleable stiff baseline (KC Pro Style) Gazelles. Speed 6 moderately overstable fairway please. (Although they will be awfully close to the Gila, I'd imagine.)

No one is putting out a decent lid that can compete with the Polecat, and yet the Polecat could use an update and a better quality baseline plastic. Plus it was the first thing on a lot of people's minds when this idea what bought up. Its the perfect niche market void.

I played a round yesterday that I ended up heavily leaning on my Polecat for 10 out of 18 holes.
Its just such a good mold for doing a little bit of everything well.

I say we stick a fork in the mold debate, and get this "Troll-Cat" on the way!

The sonic competes with the polecat and actually does a better job of being a lid. The only reason I don't currently bag one is the durability issues. A RDG fastback with plastic that won't crack would be soooooo much better than an RDG polecat.

I do not have a desire to buy, own, or throw any lids...unless this becomes one :\

Give me a good neutral putter or mid, that would be more useful/sellable for the majority of throwers. Even though I know this might not reach too far outside thses forums or be known about by the general DG public.

I will still support the DGCR disc no matter the mold/stamp/plastic outcome :thmbup:.

Last edited:
A RDG fastback with plastic that won't crack would be soooooo much better than an RDG polecat.
Gateway made that DoggyStyle fastback a year or two ago and I was very underwhelmed by it.
Crazy understable. I'm pretty sure I cracked one right away, too.

Give me a good neutral putter or mid, that would be more useful/sellable for the majority of throwers.

The Polecat is literally a perfectly neutral Putter. I mean, its a lid, too, but not the usual diameter of traditional lids, so the best of both worlds.

agreed. I like my lids light because they are more lid-tastic.
Heavy lids lose a little of their awesomeness IMO.

Keep in mind that I play in the thick forest so wind is rarely an issue. This is tainting my view.

If we land on a lid design I'd like to make sure we get some lighter weights.... if we can.

^^^^
oR95_a.gif

Latest posts