• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The DGCR Mold: Let's build a disc!

went ahead and created a thread with poll:
probably should have closed voting sooner (cuz we want this done sooner), but I gave it 45 days.

i like the woodcock troll-cat.
"MY LIFE" bottom stamp with a pic of platebee being eaten out of on the front

Troll cat is pure gold, ha ha.

In terms of niche molds, has any one ever designed a disc whose purpose is FH rollers? Like the Quest AT wheel except legal and not crappy?

Or a resistor... or a stego
Stego is a sick FH roller disc if it doesn't flex out of the line first :D

I think Resistors suck at rolling, personally. Rim is too sharp.

agreed. I like my lids light because they are more lid-tastic.
Heavy lids lose a little of their awesomeness IMO.

Keep in mind that I play in the thick forest so wind is rarely an issue. This is tainting my view.

If we land on a lid design I'd like to make sure we get some lighter weights.... if we can.
Thats why i love the upshot #1. I have 114g and 176g. So nice!

Hmm that's interesting. To each their own I guess, but that's the only disc I've ever had any confidence in with FH rollers. I probably just suck tho ;)

They roll the best out of any MVP I've tried so far and can do the job but my flat Banshee and xXx work a lot better, might just be my style. Flat tops and wide, blunt rims seem like keys to good rollers for me, I wish I had grabbed some champ Whippet X's before they got sparse. I might have to look at the Stego though.

Thats why i love the upshot #1. I have 114g and 176g. So nice!
Yup!
I have a 110g Polecat that is magical; the smallest flick of the wrist will send 'er 150' down the fairway!

I have heard you mention several times that you like the upshot's curved shoulder better than the Polecat's squared shoulder. My theory in this is that your grip puts your thumb closer to the middle of the disc rather than closer to the edge. Worded differently, your thumb is closer to resting in a groove top than it is in a Thumtrac. Am I right?

I like Polecats because of the squared shoulder. My thumb rests really close to the edge... Thumtracs are perfectly placed for my grip. Curved shoulders like the Upshots and Rattlers don't have a nice surface for me to pinch and so Polecats get the nod for my bag.

UltraStars huge rounded shoulders are tricky for me and I have to modify my grip to throw them... but they are so awesome that it won't stop me from throwing them!

Yeah i pretty much grip any disc the same with a power grip but for sure hear you on the thumb stuff as i use it more for nose down/up. So all depends on the shot but just like how it fits into the hand and doesnt feel as awkward (no disc really feels bad to me fwiw lol.) The kitty is great and has less glide vs the whamo rounded shoulder style frisbee lids.

Yeah i pretty much grip any disc the same with a power grip but for sure hear you on the thumb stuff as i use it more for nose down/up. So all depends on the shot but just like how it fits into the hand and doesnt feel as awkward (no disc really feels bad to me fwiw lol.) The kitty is great and has less glide vs the whamo rounded shoulder style frisbee lids.
Thanks. I think I will be the one CADing the DGCR lid (assuming lid wins) and this kind of feedback is valuable as I start piecing together geometries in my head!

After we settle on a disc type I will start focusing on the geometry. And I'll probably be asking a lot of questions abour peoples' grips and stuff!

AIM- just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Discraft Rattler? It has a rounded shoulder…

Thanks. I think I will be the one CADing the DGCR lid (assuming lid wins) and this kind of feedback is valuable as I start piecing together geometries in my head!

After we settle on a disc type I will start focusing on the geometry. And I'll probably be asking a lot of questions abour peoples' grips and stuff!

AIM- just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Discraft Rattler? It has a rounded shoulder…

All sounds nice!

I dont think I've ever thrown a rattler or ever seen one in the wild now that you mention it... Profile looks similar to upshot (and sorta that one Chinese lid?) but bigger diameter? Thats one thing i like about up#1 is it fits well in a bag like the PC etc.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Rattler... because of the rounded shoulder; no place for me to pinch. Well, that and it doesn't glide. It acts more like a Birdie than a proper lid.

Well not the case with an upshot. I love sticking putts with my 114g and making elmexdela feel salty. Sounds like the lid world is rough. Even some frisbees ive messed with can fly crazy different.

Last edited:
Lol... Well there's that... Can say ive been shocked by a few that stuck nice.

But i push putt anyway so it is just a matter of praying b4 the round and thinking you are cooler vs reality.

All this lid talk makes me want to put my polecat back in the bag. Which now makes me wonder why i pulled it out in the first place? Hmmmm.....