• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Hype Machine: Biggest Mold Release Flops

For the hype, I think you could say Prodigy, in general.

I would also agree with this to an extent. As much as they hyped "changing the game" 80% of their lineup I feel has had a lackluster reception, especially drivers. They seem to have at least made some solid putters though.

I would also agree with this to an extent. As much as they hyped "changing the game" 80% of their lineup I feel has had a lackluster reception, especially drivers. They seem to have at least made some solid putters though.

Good Point. I feel like their PA line was one of the first mass purchased Premium plastic putters. I loved the 400s PA4.

As does the T3. That's why I was wondering what happened on some of these molds. I guess players just buy Teebirds if they want teebirds lol

Its funny because after throwing the T3 I thought "Ok, its a little longer than a standard Teebird" but it didn't really have a slot in my bag because it wasn't unique enough. The Teebird is a great go to disc for me in the 340-380 range and the T3 only added a few feet to that. The Thunderbird is a great disc for me in the 370-410 range, with my PD handling the more OS shots. The overlap is minimal and I can throw both discs with 80%-100% power and get all the shots I want. A good disc, but the T3 doesn't fit in with how I use my discs on the course.

I also wondered the same thing with the T3 it is a great disc but makes sense that it was released to close to the thunderbird. Also might be due to fact ppl love their original teebirds to much and the TL3 was more appealing for that straight flight

As does the T3. That's why I was wondering what happened on some of these molds. I guess players just buy Teebirds if they want teebirds lol

The t3 fell flat for me by only being widely released in gstar. Champion releases were limited to cfr and factory store online. If my shop had them in star and champion, I probably would have tried them by now.

The Quarter K by Discwing.

Touted as revolutionary and sure to set distance records due to its unique aerodynamic wing. Yeah, not so much. Didn't help that the plastic they molded it in sucked.
That's one of the first ones that came to mind for me, too.

Gateway had a couple, IIRC.

The Speed Demon came out and was super overstable, so they released the Spirit...which turned out to be super overstable, too. So they released the Illusion, which most found to be only very overstable.

Then there was the Hybrid, which supposedly was like a Teebird, but turned out to be way more like a Blaze.

The Pro Teebird flopped pretty bad, too.

How about the DC Focus? I don't think I have EVER seen someone use that on the course.
That said, I live in the heart of Wiz territory so that isn't a huge surprise.

Discraft thought the Buzzz OS was going to be a huge seller. Not a bad disc, but hardly the sales monster they were expecting.

How about the DC Focus? I don't think I have EVER seen someone use that on the course.
That said, I live in the heart of Wiz territory so that isn't a huge surprise.

If Wizards ever disappeared I would use the Focus as my putting putter. I'd have to figure out something else for throwing though.

Discraft thought the Buzzz OS was going to be a huge seller. Not a bad disc, but hardly the sales monster they were expecting.

Really? You have firsthand knowledge on the sales for that mold? I always thought the BuzzzOS was a hit in terms of numbers. Then again...I haven't seen many on the course which is typically my gauge.

Yep! I use mine quite a bit and whenever I'm ina group people always ask about it, but most people who throw it usually respond with "I like the Drone better." Its the same rim, I just prefer the Buzzz OS top. But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else bag one, and there's a fair amount of Discraft fans, especially the mids, around these parts.

Hard to say Prodigy Flopped (at least around here) I know of several players in this area who carry all Prodigy bags, and it can be difficult to find a bag without at least one prodigy disc. A lot of that however is because one of the owners is from this area, and is still a big supporter of the local disc golf scene. Which brings me to a larger point. It's very difficult to know if a full brand is a flop unless your traveling across the country. For instance, in Michigan where Discraft is huge, your not going to see a lot of Legacy in bags. In Kansas where trilogy is king, there's probably not many people throwing Innova. It's a lot easier to find single mold's that have flopped then you will entire companies.

For instance, in Michigan where Discraft is huge, your not going to see a lot of Legacy in bags.

whoa whoa whoa.... my bag is full of legacy, and has ONE DC mold (zone) and unfortunately I hail from Michigan ;)

I'd say the Dominator was a disc that flopped pretty hard. I'm not sure how much they hyped it, but the FR I bought was just flippy garbage; flew nothing like the numbers. Innova then turned around and released the Tern, which I think is the disc that the Dominator should have been and became wildly popular.

whoa whoa whoa.... my bag is full of legacy, and has ONE DC mold (zone) and unfortunately I hail from Michigan ;)

Touche' to save my point, here in Kentucky I've never had the opportunity to even throw a legacy disc, nor do I know a single person who has one and I play in leagues in 3 different cities.

Last edited:
Coming in third place for me would the the MVP Shock. It seems to me like it was quickly overshadowed by the Resistor and later by the Motion, and the re-tweaking of the Volt to make it more stable. It's the only MVP disc I've ever thrown that I cannot see putting back in my bag under any circumstances (although I did trade away my Switch and Servo after buying an Inspire).

For the hype, I think you could say Prodigy, in general.
This would be number 2 for me. Have they changed the game yet?

Salient and the Prometheus is definitely up there.
Bingo. Not only was the disc not anything close to what was promised, but the owner of the company showed his true colors and alienated a group of customers permanently.

Honest question, was the Groove hyped up? By the time I got back into disc golf the Groove was already a punchline.

The point that you're making however, clmiller2, is a very valid one.

I doubt I'd even know about legacy without John Ryan (Lion) and Legacy's presence on DGCR.

Unfortunately? I'd love to trade places with you. Other than the longer winters, Michigan is a better place to live (not to mention the better quality of disc golf up there) than Ohio any day of the week.

The point that you're making however, clmiller2, is a very valid one.

I doubt I'd even know about legacy without John Ryan (Lion) and Legacy's presence on DGCR.
Without DGCR I'd still be throwing only Innova. Hearing about different brands on here convinced me to try about 10 other brands. MVP and Discraft are the two that really made an impact on my bag, but they've almost all been worth trying.

Last edited:

Latest posts