• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Imo, it would be difficult to swing a career and also be a top 4 professional disc golfer in this era. The demands for each profession are too great to be at the top of both concurrently.

I agree. Besides I would think pros want at least two days to practice courses so that effectively means taking a minimum of 3 days of vacation per tournament. Considering he hasn't held a 9 to 5 job to date (that I'm aware of), at best he'd be starting off with 3 weeks vacation in an entry-level job which would mean 10 tournaments per year at most and that doesn't leave anytime for personal vacation. That doesn't sound like a good scenario for the player or the sponsor.

Have you actually ever met Joel? I've met him multiple times and played a full 18 with him. One of the nicest people I've ever met. He also remembered my name after meeting me and then seeing me again at the DDO about 1 year later.

I won't claim he has the greatest mental game in disc golf, but I wouldn't classify him as a "mad person".

i followed a card he was on at DGLO last year. round 2 i believe maybe round 1. It was the most awkward thing ive literally ever seen. I was really impressed about the mental of the other players on his card. very very cringe.

With DD apparently downsizing, I can see them landing maybe one or the other. But matching the McBeth deal? Don't think that'll happen. McBeths name alone can move product and make money. I don't think the same can be said of Calvin or Ricky. Regardless, I think they will earn an appreciable amount. I'd be stoked to see one or the other or both move to DD. Clemons can only do so much on his own.

rick will get a mil a year

He's got the sarcastic sense of humor, which personally I find funny. He's an absolute trash talk savage on the otb skins videos. You don't see him out there doing a ton of self promotion like a lot of other pros, almost like he's out there because he's good and likes to play…aka not trying to make himself a brand like everybody else.

And this is why he is my favorite pro. He does things the exact same way that I would do things. He doesn't seem fake like most of the other pros out there.

Last off season there were the rumors of Calvin and DD. No idea what the grumblings are/were with him and Innova, but has anybody considered he might be wanting a deal that doesn't require him being on the road all the time?

I say that because he's got his chem e degree. Last couple years we've seen some fairly large purses more consistently, and player contracts have gotten bigger and longer, so that may change things a bit. Dude is young and super talented, I think he could establish himself in his career field and still play enough events to be a major threat at worlds, USDGC, and whatnot.

He's got the sarcastic sense of humor, which personally I find funny. He's an absolute trash talk savage on the otb skins videos. You don't see him out there doing a ton of self promotion like a lot of other pros, almost like he's out there because he's good and likes to play…aka not trying to make himself a brand like everybody else.
Chem engineer humor generates organic reactions.

I recall McBeth saying DD approached him when he was moving on from Innova, saying that they had some money to throw around.

Last edited:
oh yah i forgot to ask a while back

when i was playing jbeast in arkansas they had innova disc catcher baskets with a "new" dd band wrapped around where the yellow part "should" be

any regulation on this or just a cheap move by dd

it had the appeal of an 11x firebird stamped with a prodigy logo

i followed a card he was on at DGLO last year. round 2 i believe maybe round 1. It was the most awkward thing ive literally ever seen. I was really impressed about the mental of the other players on his card. very very cringe.

A friend played on his card during the BHMO this year. Said he never wanted to play with him again.

oh yah i forgot to ask a while back

when i was playing jbeast in arkansas they had innova disc catcher baskets with a "new" dd band wrapped around where the yellow part "should" be

any regulation on this or just a cheap move by dd

it had the appeal of an 11x firebird stamped with a prodigy logo

Stay on topic! Go search the forums, just search "cheap move by DD."

Which, consequently, "cheap" will not describe a Vinny or Rick signing.

A friend played on his card during the BHMO this year. Said he never wanted to play with him again.

What if it were lead card at Worlds -- final round?... woulsn't he fdeairoum.

Well, if he's a friend of yours….

I agree. Besides I would think pros want at least two days to practice courses so that effectively means taking a minimum of 3 days of vacation per tournament. Considering he hasn't held a 9 to 5 job to date (that I'm aware of), at best he'd be starting off with 3 weeks vacation in an entry-level job which would mean 10 tournaments per year at most and that doesn't leave anytime for personal vacation. That doesn't sound like a good scenario for the player or the sponsor.

I was more implying he'd still be playing during the week and events on weekends, more or less staying local within a couple of hours and saving any major traveling for a handful of select events.

Ultimately I think he stays on tour though, at a young age he's in a position where he can travel and see a lot of cool things. Sure the sport is growing but an engineering degree is a pretty solid back up plan.

Dave Wiggins Jr was set to be one of the next top pros several years ago and stopped competing at a high level to pursue school. If I recall correctly his dad used to say all of his winnings went straight to the college fund.

And this is why he is my favorite pro. He does things the exact same way that I would do things. He doesn't seem fake like most of the other pros out there.

Kinda funny because McBeth is pretty much the same way. You don't really hear him actively pitching stuff but his name moves more plastic than anybody else.

Dave Wiggins Jr was set to be one of the next top pros several years ago and stopped competing at a high level to pursue school. If I recall correctly his dad used to say all of his winnings went straight to the college fund.

Another contributing factor to David's stepping back from dg was the fact that he prefers fishing.

Another contributing factor to David's stepping back from dg was the fact that he prefers fishing.

Is he one of those people who is naturally great at pretty much everything?

Back in the day I'd chit chat with Justin Bunnell if I was at the Gateway shop, he's from Oskaloosa, Iowa originally and I started playing dg while I was at Iowa State. I had played a couple of events in Oskaloosa. From the way I understand it he had stints where he was trying to make it as a professional bowler and bass fisher. I was excited to see him pop up on some video footage a while back, Throw Down the Mountain I wanna think?

Is he one of those people who is naturally great at pretty much everything?

Back in the day I'd chit chat with Justin Bunnell if I was at the Gateway shop, he's from Oskaloosa, Iowa originally and I started playing dg while I was at Iowa State. I had played a couple of events in Oskaloosa. From the way I understand it he had stints where he was trying to make it as a professional bowler and bass fisher. I was excited to see him pop up on some video footage a while back, Throw Down the Mountain I wanna think?

He was at Music City Open; Jerm was sooo excited to have him on coverage.

Latest posts