• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 10 Discs of All Time

The only putter I agree with for that reason is the Aviar. Lets face it, the damned thing is a legend and has stood the test of time. Fads are born and die, but the discs I like on these lists are ones that stand the test of time. Therefore I am a bit hesitant to even give my beloved Fuse any credit; even though I think its possible the best disc to be released ATM

The only putter I agree with for that reason is the Aviar. Lets face it, the damned thing is a legend and has stood the test of time. Fads are born and die, but the discs I like on these lists are ones that stand the test of time. Therefore I am a bit hesitant to even give my beloved Fuse any credit; even though I think its possible the best disc to be released ATM

However, when was the last time you heard somebody say "I've switched from <non-aviar putter> to an aviar." ??

While most players undoubtably start with an Aviar, sooo many seem to switch to another brand and never look back.

That is exactly why my list didn't include any discs made in the past 5 years (I'm not exactly sure when the Buzzz was made, but i think it was just over 5 years ago). I think that for a list to be truly the top 10 of all time, a disc has to have that retrospective aspect to it. You must be able to look back on the hype of the disc and still remember how darn good it was. That's why i don't have any of the new, ridiculously good, latitude 64 stuff and the discmania stuff that some love. Because I can't look back and know which ones turned out to be the best.

It's like the NBA. Many people will say that Michael was the greatest ever. and the top 10 list has the ppl who must be included (Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, you get the point). But some people would include LeBron on that list. However, LeBron hasn't done anything yet. Everyone would agree that he is an athletic freak who can do things no one else could do. But to say he's in the top 10 all time when he hasn't even played his whole career is absurd. What if he tanks the next 5 years, fizzles out of the league 5 years before expected, and ends up playing street ball until he's 50 and overweight? No one will include him in the top 10 then.

However, when was the last time you heard somebody say "I've switched from <non-aviar putter> to an aviar." ??

While most players undoubtably start with an Aviar, sooo many seem to switch to another brand and never look back.

I agree with you jrawk. very few people ever switch back to an aviar. However, in and of itself is the point. You can go up to any group of dgers and ask "who has ever had an aviar in their bag" and probably 90% of them will say yes. Also, as I said earlier, almost half the pros in the world throw an aviar. Granted, this is Innova's only real putter other than the Rhyno and Pig. But you could probably head to a pro event and ask how many people are throwing an Aviar and I think around 40% would say they are.

I don't think it's legitimate to put any putters on a list like this. They're too much about personal preference and there are too many different ones without too much actual differentiation.

That's why I defended my putter choices. I would never disagree with Aviar being on the list, it just did not make my list.

I do not necessarily endorse (or throw) any of these... but these are the ones that i see that have (or do) make the most difference and are true "classics".

1) Roc - Probably most versatile disc made.
2) Aviar - #1 selling disc.
3) Buzzz - So darn good at going straight.
4) Teebird - So consistent.
5) Valkyrie - Perfect blend of consistency and distance.
6) Firebird - Standard in which all OS drivers are measured.
7) Leopard - Such a great disc.
8) <Insert Discraft Putter Here> - Dont throw them, but i see a lot of them.
9) Destroyer - #1 Distance Driver
10) The "Epic": fail

What stat are you using to determine that? most sold? most distance? or just making stuff up?

I don't even throw most of these... but in no particular order

Wizard
Aviar
Roc
Buzzz
Comet
Eagle X
Teebird
Predator
Firebird
Valkyrie

Things which are almost on there: Fuse, River, Gazelle, Leopard.

*No particular order*

1. Valk
2. Roc
3.Tbird
4. Eagle
5. Fbird
6. Buzzz
7. Aviar
8. leopard
9. cobra
10.destroyer

Last edited:
My stab at it:

Roc
Ion
Cyclone
Comet
Valkyrie
Orion LF
Teebird
XL
Buzzz
Aviar

Tough call for me between the Eagle and Teebird. I don't care for the Teebird, but I think it would have to go in the top ten overall because it is so beloved. Also, the Firebird barely misses this list for me, but I like considering putting something overstable on the list. Same for the Pred. I had the Gazelle in there but removed it for the Buzzz. I currently throw less than half this list.

Also, I consider the Stingray, Cheetah and Shark as great and important old molds. I still use these when introducing a new player to the game.

Discs that I was unimpressed with that I think make the top 10 for many: Stalker, River, Fuse.

Id go:

1) 01 CE Roc
2) 10x Aviar
3) CE Aviar
4) 11x Aviar
5) First Run Buzzz
6) 11x Firebird
7) 11x Eagle X
8) 10x KC Pro Eagle
9) First Run Champion Whippet (circle stamp)
10) ESP Zone (would come off list if I could get a Z Zone)

1. TeeBird (KC 10x, SE, Star)
2. Wraith (Pro)
3. Omega SS (old)
4. Aviar (JK 4x)
5. JLS (1.6-1.7)
6. Shark (DX)
7. Buzzz (Elite X)
8. Valkyrie (SE)
9. Stingray (Star)
10. Ion (Medium)

I agree with all of this, expect how did the leopard not make the list? I've had leopards in different plastics/weights perform with more versatility than cyclones.. Unless you want to count OOP plastics, because then your cyclone could also be your meathook.. and now I'm rambling

It was tough, I was really down to those two. I didn't want the list to look too Innova-y so I gave the Cyclone the nod since it's probably the most important driver in DC history and Innova has a glut of great, slow drivers (Leo, Gazelle, Cheetah...)

I like Discspeed's list, that was pretty well thought out.

I'll do a personal Top 10:
1. Ion (no disc has improved my game more)
2. Fuse (best Lat. 64 disc IMO, all fly like they should)
3. Eagle (So easy a caveman can shoot par)
4. Leopard (so useful in the woods)
5. Banshee (what a useful meathook)
6. Nebula (you down with OOP, yeah you know me)
7. Summit (low-pro neutral putter that never gets nicked up? :hfive:)
8. PD (my idea of a distance disc)
9. River (throwing soft never looked so good or far)
10. Zone (unconventional line master)

You will notice that all of the old time players put the Cyclone (the first disc ever with a style of plastic that is now present everywhere); and the Stingray in the mix. Cobra should also be included from old guys. The F-15 was a roc/buzz like disc that was probably the best Lightning disc ever made. Lighting is now out of business; but, they were the Gateway (#3 major commpany) for many years.

http://www.lightninggolfdiscs.com/

i just called and asked if they had gone out of business and the dude said, "not yet, but we're in the middle of our 50 discs for a dollar sale, tell all your friends."

Here is my list of TOP 10 Discs of all time:

1) Stingray...the original distance driver
2) Cobra....can be used for just about everything
3) Roc...probably the best disc ever made hands down (any mold is perfect)
4) Buzz....for those who can't throw the Roc....it's the second best mid in the game
5) Aviar....one of the best putters ever made
6) Wizard....what can you say...BUTTER!!!!!!
7) Leopard....great beginner/pro fairway driver...(Duh.....Just look at Barry Schultz)
8) Valkyrie....the leading distance driver to date
9) Nuke...trying to get where the Valk is presently
10) Ion/Vector....for pushing the boundaries of DG disc design

Top 10

Midrange
Understable - Elite-X Stratus - glides right with minimal fade
Stable - Gold Core - straight and consistent
Overstable - Heavy Buzzz ESP - glides with distance, but still fights headwind

Fairway
Understable - Elite-X Xpress - similar to Stratus, will glide right with min fade
Stable - Elite-X XL - straight with min fade, can HF for distance if needed.
Overstable - Elite X Tracker - consistent with enough stability to fight wind

Drivers
Understable - mid weight Champ Sidewinder - good distance with ability to turn right
Stable - Champ Valk - consistent and straight, world record for distance
Overstable - Nuke ESP - Still struggling with this one, will flip every once in a while

Max Distance
No wind -Beat Pro Katana - has to be open but by far my fartest disc. Have new Katana to HF into headwind

My opinion for my noodle arm - take the rest of the day off and go throw

1. Midnight Flyer - for obvious reasons
2. Roc - again obvious
3. Aviar - See reason 2
4. Leopard - Best disc for beginners
5. Teebird - Everyone carries one from beginner to pro
6. Firebird - Headwind game changer
7. Wraith - all who pick it up add 50 ft
8. Buzzz - it does everything
9. Wizard - the putter that does everything
10. Eagle - easy to control great glide good all around

honorable mentions
Valkyrie
Katana
Epic (even though i have never seen one thrown it did create quote a stir)

Latest posts