• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDisc Pro price tripling

The time saved just in one month in course navigation is well worth $15 to me. What is the average hourly wage of the disc golfer? $15? $20? $30? So it pays for itself just in navigation alone if it saves an hour of wandering a year. YMMV.

IDK man, there's this really cool site where you can actually find maps for the vast majority of courses - FOR FREE. (hint - its this site.)

I played a course yesterday that was the only worthwhile courses within an hours drive of where we are staying on vacation. The UDisc map, and especially the geolocation part of it, was essential, as significant chunks of the course had no tee signs, or worse mis-numbered tee signs. Some of the walks between holes crossed other paths. The locals have added some tee locations that don't appear to be on maps, etc. Being able to see where you were on the map made everything so much easier. Static maps aren't as useful.

As to price increases and people being angry? That's just our loss-averse monkey brains in action. If the original price had been $15/year for premium, no one would be grousing.

I have Udisc since it came with my PDGA membership. However I rarely ever use it since most of my rounds are casual and I don't usually keep score. The reviews on Udisc are a complete joke. Full of homer reviews made by people who have probably never played many good courses. I use the DGCR app for most everything.

The time saved just in one month in course navigation is well worth $15 to me. What is the average hourly wage of the disc golfer? $15? $20? $30? So it pays for itself just in navigation alone if it saves an hour of wandering a year. YMMV.

I'd wager it's closer to $10 based on what people complain most about here being players packs.:popcorn:

IDK man, there's this really cool site where you can actually find maps for the vast majority of courses - FOR FREE. (hint - its this site.)

For a few years I tried to get people I played with to use the DGCR app. They mostly migrated from in their head or beads or maybe even paper score cards to Udisc. I found it hard not to also start using Udisc. If you go to any random course and they are confused by the layout and ask if they have the DGCR app you are going to get very confused faces. Ask about Udisc and they either have it or at least know of it. comparing the two now is near futile, unfortunately.

For a few years I tried to get people I played with to use the DGCR app. They mostly migrated from in their head or beads or maybe even paper score cards to Udisc. I found it hard not to also start using Udisc. If you go to any random course and they are confused by the layout and ask if they have the DGCR app you are going to get very confused faces. Ask about Udisc and they either have it or at least know of it. comparing the two now is near futile, unfortunately.

Since I didn't know a DGCR app existed, I looked it up.
DGCR app costs $1.99 upfront, Udisc basic is free. Udisc already won, DGCR made the cardinal mistake of charging money before the app is downloaded.

It's psychology, your are more likely to pay for something you already use, than start using something you have to pay for first.

uDisc did something that DGCR didn't. uDisc became the 'go-to' for live scoring in tournaments. For a while, it was paper was official, uDisc was backup. Then it became uDisc is official, paper is backup. Now, it seems to be PDGA app is official, uDisc is backup.

I would guess that uDisc made a deal with PDGA....we'll give your members the pro version as part of the membership if you make uDisc the 'go-to' app for tournament scoring.

DGCR should have stepped in early in the game and convinced PDGA to use their app for scoring. But, as the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.

uDisc did something that DGCR didn't. uDisc became the 'go-to' for live scoring in tournaments. For a while, it was paper was official, uDisc was backup. Then it became uDisc is official, paper is backup. Now, it seems to be PDGA app is official, uDisc is backup.

I would guess that uDisc made a deal with PDGA....we'll give your members the pro version as part of the membership if you make uDisc the 'go-to' app for tournament scoring.

DGCR should have stepped in early in the game and convinced PDGA to use their app for scoring. But, as the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think U-Disc has ever been official scoring of anything unless it was a very limited number of top events at some point.

I realize I am much different than most golfers. I honestly, have never found navigation difficulties that frustrating. I am hardly ever in a time crunch, enjoy the hiking portion of the game and don't think I have ever walked off a course, unable to find the next hole. Shrug.....there are few things that I make a priority over golf. An app is far more likely to detract from my experience than add anything to it. Disc golf is my app.

there might be some chicken and egg thing going on here. Udisc was already being used more. People WANTED to use it for weeklies and leagues and tournaments prior to it being approved for use and a deal with the PDGA. It moved kind of quickly but Udisc became popular because it was already popular and they started branching out hard. There would have been a very small window for Tim to see this and put in a pretty monumental task of development and marketing on a gamble he could bump Udisc out of the position it was in.

The only reason I use UDisc over the DGCR app for scoring is the watch integration. It's pretty easy to record scores without digging out the phone. For me, that feature makes it worth the price even if it isn't included in the PDGA membership in the future....

I may be exaggerating a teeny tiny bit, but I felt like U-Disc got me hooked at $5 then tripled their price knowing I wouldn't quit.

(no offense to anyone who has faced a real addiction themselves or by a family member)

Sharp price increases are sometimes done to boost a company's valuation prior to seeking or negotiating a sale. Is it Jeff Bezos looking for better GPS for drone navigation or Elon Musk looking for better GPS for spaceship landings and offering to buy them with Bitcoin?

(Attempt at humorous academic comment only. I know zero regarding this specific situation.)

I don't think U-Disc has ever been official scoring of anything unless it was a very limited number of top events at some point.

UDiscLive has been official scoring for Elite Events, but regular UDisc has never been official scoring for standard PDGA events.

Sharp price increases are sometimes done to boost a company's valuation prior to seeking or negotiating a sale. Is it Jeff Bezos looking for better GPS for drone navigation or Elon Musk looking for better GPS for spaceship landings and offering to buy them with Bitcoin?

(Attempt at humorous academic comment only. I know zero regarding this specific situation.)

ironically enough i have heard matt and steve d have been talkin