• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ugly throws need help

splettimer

Par Member
I'm a rhfh thrower, and I've been having trouble keeping the wobble out of my throws the first 50 to 100 feet. It's really killing my distance and accuracy. You can hear the disc pop off my fingers, sounds like someones joint popping, the the disc wobbles for a while, and finally straightens out in a random direction. Really could use a suggestion or several.:wall:

Throwing forehand or backhand? Video works wonders, it's really hard to find problems based on words (especially the throwers view of their own throw)

I place my index finger inside the rim, and my middle on the bottom of the rim. Yeah i squeeze pretty hard with my thumb i guess

If you've ever played squash, use the same stroke. I'm not a squash pro so I won't describe it but I'm sure its easier to google than 'rhfh'. Spread your first two fingers into a V and let the disc come off your middle finger. It may take a few tries but I think you'll like the results.

I place my index finger inside the rim, and my middle on the bottom of the rim. Yeah i squeeze pretty hard with my thumb i guess

From what I know, the standard forehand grip is to press the pad of your middle finger flush against the inside of the rim, with the index finger underneath the plate making a 'V' with the middle finger. You can also tuck the index up against the middle, but having the middle finger on the rim itself should give you the most power. The wobble you're getting is probably from too much arm movement. Forehand is primarily a wrist shot, much more so than with backhand. A lot of players keep the elbow tucked in to the side during the shot, but the point is to limit overall arm movement as much as possible. Work on using forehand for approaches and go from there.

One issue *may* (and it's tough to know for sure without seeing you throw) be that you're muscling the disc. In DG the term "big arm" is a slight misnomer, because it's really all about the wrist. Clean, smooth acceleration through the "hit" or point where you snap your wrist forward and release the disc.

If you're trying too hard to throw the disc far you can end up seeing that wobble. If you talk to some of the pros they'll tell you "smooth = far". Some of the best shots you'll throw will almost feel effortless because you're not tensing up your muscles and trying to bomb it out there.

Try playing a round throwing at 80% "power", then see if your disc is within 10ft or so of your 100% "power" shots, I think you'll be surprised at the findings.

I'm guessing you're using overstable plasctic, as most fh do. If you really want to straighten it out, try fh'ing stable to understable plastic- you will have to throw em clean or they will roll

Overstable hides flaws, that's why it's the more popular option- it's easier.

I'm guessing you're using overstable plasctic, as most fh do. If you really want to straighten it out, try fh'ing stable to understable plastic- you will have to throw em clean or they will roll

Overstable hides flaws, that's why it's the more popular option- it's easier.

I recently found a Valkyrie (no name), so I've started throwing it forehand as my backhand is a work in progress. I'm just wondering if that is still too overstable for the reasons you mentioned and might lead to form flaws down the line...

ahh, i've figured out your problem,

your throws are ugly because you're throwing FH!!!!

....kidding, calm down, I throw about 60% bh 40% fh

Keep that advice coming. Love it. Gonna try them all. I throw a beast, a monster and an fl so advice on discs would be much appreciated too. I do think I try to put too much arm into it. I've also been told my arm flops a lot, so I'm definitely working on keeping it smooth.

Picture this: your hand in a standard "thumbs-up". Now press your thumb down as if trying to pin a thumb-wrestling opponent, only replace the opponents thumb with the rim of a disc. That is how a friend of mine throws RHFH. Goofy, but it works for him-maybe a little too much at times!

I recently found a Valkyrie (no name), so I've started throwing it forehand as my backhand is a work in progress. I'm just wondering if that is still too overstable for the reasons you mentioned and might lead to form flaws down the line...

If using a valk, you're better off then most.
I subscribe to slower is better- so while there are many slower options, IMO a valk is probally a good one; it's fast enough to be practicle but(true) stable enough to show flaws. Basically, while I have a decent backhand, I can afford to practice my fh with putters and comets.
One thing to remember whenever using lower stability, on the faster side drivers (sidewinders, a ss'...) is that when thrown correctly, they will turn- they're suppose to:) just be able to reconize between a wobbly, torqued over throw and a clean one that turns from snap. One they turn, add hyzer and your game will be on track( aka the h flip)

Let me elaborate a lil...

For a fh throw, overstable hides flaws because the strong fade acts as a safty net. You can see when the disc want to turn all the way over but instead the fade brings it back.
Using discs with less fade will not fade back as easy- it'll have to be thrown smoother. While this is better for instilling good form, it may be a lil harder to do at first. They key is to do it early when everyone still sucks;)

If using a valk, you're better off then most.
I subscribe to slower is better- so while there are many slower options, IMO a valk is probally a good one; it's fast enough to be practicle but(true) stable enough to show flaws. Basically, while I have a decent backhand, I can afford to practice my fh with putters and comets.
One thing to remember whenever using lower stability, on the faster side drivers (sidewinders, a ss'...) is that when thrown correctly, they will turn- they're suppose to:) just be able to reconize between a wobbly, torqued over throw and a clean one that turns from snap. One they turn, add hyzer and your game will be on track( aka the h flip)

I think the Valk is still probably the most overstable disc I have as it's the only true driver I have, so I'll throw it sparingly and only when I need extra distance. I also have a Viper (fairway driver) and even though it's rated overstable, it will turn over if not thrown correctly, so that might be a good compromise for me. How hard is it to throw a Comet forehand without it turning over? I've had zero luck throwing mids forehand!

I think the Valk is still probably the most overstable disc I have as it's the only true driver I have, so I'll throw it sparingly and only when I need extra distance. I also have a Viper (fairway driver) and even though it's rated overstable, it will turn over if not thrown correctly, so that might be a good compromise for me. How hard is it to throw a Comet forehand without it turning over? I've had zero luck throwing mids forehand!

Unless the Viper is extremely beat I'd expect it to be significantly more overstable than your Valkyrie. The Comet might be tricky to throw forehand but can be very effective if you use it for 'touch' anhyzers.

I have learned a couple different forehand grips besides the standard from Sarah & Courtney.

Courtney does a sideways "gun" grip, put your hand in a gun form with 2 fingers as the barrel, turn it sideways and set the disc in there.

Sarah taught the standard and the peace sign grip with one finger on the rim and the second pushed out toward the center of the disc for added stability. She says yeah you will lose distance but the control gained is incredible.

I have a 30 frame shot of Sarah doing a stand still side arm, I will get it posted up sometime soon.

Latest posts