• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unusal Tips For The Game

i carry small glow in the dark fishing bait and tape it to my disc during night games, i own a 50 foot pole that slides in side of itself to about 5 feet to get discs from trees.(takes a while to get it to 50 feet) and i know a course lunatic that dives into the lake and gives me free discs.

On rainy days, carry 3 towels: 1) your normal towel wherever you keep it, 2) an extra one in a zip-loc and 3) one attached to the inside of your umbrella...I'll use the one in the umbrella for the initial hand-drying, then pull out the normal towel to dry my disc off before hitting it with the birdie bag. The extra towel in the zip-loc stays there just in case my others get too saturated.

During tournaments on really hot days (happens a lot to me, since the biggest TX tourneys are usually during the summer) I'll dampen a few wash rags, fold them up, stick them in a zip-loc and freeze them. The morning of the event I'll stash them right next to the ice-pack in my cooler so that between rounds I have an ice-cold rag to lay over my face or neck.

So I played in a tournament two weekends ago with snow on the ground that proceeded to melt. The first round it was obvious that my snow boots would need to be worn. I kept them on for the second round as well. The next day I knew it would be muddy on a couple of holes, but didn't need to wear the boots but did anyways. I was able to walk through shallow creeks in them and keep my feet dry, huge advantage. Snow Boots!

So I played in a tournament two weekends ago with snow on the ground that proceeded to melt. The first round it was obvious that my snow boots would need to be worn. I kept them on for the second round as well. The next day I knew it would be muddy on a couple of holes, but didn't need to wear the boots but did anyways. I was able to walk through shallow creeks in them and keep my feet dry, huge advantage. Snow Boots!

Good times had that day. 3rd round was my favorite round.

Best disc retriever there is. Especially for dense trees that won't allow you to hit your disc.

fatmax_xtremetape.jpg

The tape stands up 13' on its own. You can use lower limbs to get higher than that. There are expensive but worth their weight in CE plastic.

One of the most important things in my bag is Good Karma. :rolleyes: I fully believe this is key to happiness in my DG life. I do everything I can to build up Karma: Hug trees, pick up trash, help with course maintenance, whatever. Get out and gather good karma. Try it, it works. :thmbup:

Oh Disc Gods, hear my prayers.:cool:

Best disc retriever there is. Especially for dense trees that won't allow you to hit your disc.

fatmax_xtremetape.jpg

The tape stands up 13' on its own. You can use lower limbs to get higher than that. There are expensive but worth their weight in CE plastic.

Amen!!! I need to upgrade to the Fat Max, I carry the Walmart equvilent. I've rescued many a Disc from trees and water with that thing!

BUG SPRAY!!!! If you have ever played all day without it on a really bug infested course then you know what I'm saying. Mosquitoes will definitely ruin a good day of disc golfing.

fatmax_xtremetape.jpg

Genius!!! A baseball is great for a tree, but no good in water. I might have to get one of those. (You can also measure these.)

Things I always carry with:
12 Discs - Discs May Vary
1 Nalgene
1 Golf Towel
1 Cell Phone
1 Marker Disc
1 Set of Keys
Optional Items I am known to carry:
1 Baggie
1 Piece
1 iPod + Headphones
1 Pack of Cancer Sticks
2 Lighters
New Courses:
1 Score Card
1 Map

Unusual Tips:
If you have problems with keeping your disc low and flat when driving, pretend like your trying to cut off the head of a midget with your throw. No offense if terminology is not PC...

I had a guy, after seeing me putt one time, told me that I should change my putting style to straddle... In my head I'm thinking, dude I don't even know your name and I have never played with you before and your going to tell me how I need to put after one missed 30ft putt! I though that was unusual...

If you have a 1 in 100 chance of making a long approach shot, try taking the 1 in 10 chance shot and aim at getting your shot with in 15 feet or what ever you think you have a 100 in 100 chance of making the putt from. If you can go for it but keep it in the imaginary circle, go for it!

I carry a spider monkey and a roll of toilet paper. One for getting stuck discs out of trees and one because it's no fun holding in diarhea for 17 holes.

But how does the toilet paper help you get discs out of trees?

If you have a 1 in 100 chance of making a long approach shot, try taking the 1 in 10 chance shot and aim at getting your shot with in 15 feet or what ever you think you have a 100 in 100 chance of making the putt from. If you can go for it but keep it in the imaginary circle, go for it!

I do this too. I would rather lay-up and take a safe 3 than blow it and end up double-bogeying the hole.

Unusual Tips:
If you have problems with keeping your disc low and flat when driving, pretend like your trying to cut off the head of a midget with your throw. No offense if terminology is not PC...

Watch out vertically challenged hominids, here I come! :clap:

We carry at least one headlamp for those almost-dark disc searching sessions. It's come in handy.
We also carry tennis balls for disc retrieval. Not as effective as baseballs, but they are lighter.

BUG SPRAY!!!! If you have ever played all day without it on a really bug infested course then you know what I'm saying. Mosquitoes will definitely ruin a good day of disc golfing.

Be careful to wash your hands well afterwards, I have heard that deet will ruin your plastic.

Sometime my hands get super super dry. Water and spit...yes, I spit on my hands almots every time I throw (lick fingers then rub in the dirt)...anyways, water and spit only make them twice as dry. I carry a small bottle of lotion in my back.

The dry hands mentally freak me out...like nails on a chalk board.

Got a tip from a guy about keeping poison ivy off of your discs. When in summer or spring he carries a bottle of Purel. He squirts a little on his disc and wipes it off when he throws deep in the woods or bushed. Sais he hasn't had poison ivy since.

I carry a towel or two at all times. Also a rosin bag from a local bowling alley works great for grip. Not just bowling alley of course, but that's where I got mine :p

Sharpies
Pencils

Got a tip from a guy about keeping poison ivy off of your discs. When in summer or spring he carries a bottle of Purel. He squirts a little on his disc and wipes it off when he throws deep in the woods or bushed. Sais he hasn't had poison ivy since.

The purel will destroy the oil that causes "poison ivy." Same thing if you walk through a patch and then wipe your legs down with a wet wipe. Both do the same thing.