• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US map showing density of course in each state

Sorry I omitted that. The state with the least course density (Alaska) is the reddest, and the state with the greatest course density (Delaware) is the greenest. All the others are colored according to their relative density vs. Alaska and Delaware. I suppose I could set it up on an evenly graduated scale, but I haven't done that with the spreadsheet at this point. Maybe I can share an updated version if you want, or share my spreadsheet and let you tinker with it.

thx! we got work to do here in the Old Dominion but luckily i'm close to DE, MD, and PA.

Looks like that puts Northern Indiana as the epicenter of the "shizz".
Must be becuase that's where Jukeshoe lives. :cool:
...couldn't possibly have to do with things like the plethora of niners in the Chicago area and Lemon Lake. :p

Ya, I'd forgotten about that S. West map. That's pretty much what I was thinking about. :eek:

Neat map.. but did you have to pick a gradient between red and green? ;) It's like my (red-green) color-blindness nightmare scenario.. :p

Also, I don't suppose it would be possible to scale it down (probably for individual states) by metropolitan/vs rural areas? Oregon, for example, I think may be really deceptive, as Portland has a very high course density, but the rest of the state is quite a lot sparser.. :p

I'd imagine Steve West used ArcGIS or some other type of mapping software that allows mass amounts of data input. Rizbee has done a lot of this, too. Hopefully he can share some of his maps on here.

I'd imagine Steve West used ArcGIS or some other type of mapping software that allows mass amounts of data input. Rizbee has done a lot of this, too. Hopefully he can share some of his maps on here.
Definitely looks like ArcGIS or the more professional/powerful versions that ESRI offers.

I've been wanting to figure out a way to show survey data by state, like you see in all those infographics on the internet about who says "soda" and who says "pop". After some research on how to do it in Excel, I finally figured out a way. While doing this, I created a map to show the density of disc golf courses per state, which I've attached as an image. I was kinda surprised to see how well, for example, Delaware, which has only 12 courses, compares against Texas, which has over 300, when you adjust for land area. Check it out and see if you notice anything interesting.

It surprises me how red Nebraska is in this picture.

^Why? Nebraska only has 65 courses, and its a good bit bigger than, say MS, which has 74.

I think the real surprise is how DE outshines the disc golf glamour states of NC, WI, MI, and OH.

Yeah, but who goes on dg vacations to Delaware? :p [Easy there, 'Warians---I know about the Iron Hill/Brandywine/White Clay area.]

DE represents well here. Not to mention we have the hardest permanent course in the world...jus sayin...

Latest posts