• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Hey Mr. Dodge, do you guys still do custom colors for discs? How many would one have to buy to get something like that?

this when he did it before for putters it was 300 for 10 custom putters. but he even said back then it would be a limited thing and once it was over...it was over. Maybe he should do some more chunks. sold my chunk vp and i still miss it.

The other day I went to my local shop to pick up a new disc. They don't carry Vibram but started telling me about the upcoming Birdie Bash and how they want to start selling Vibram but don't know much about it. They seemed to not remember me asking them a half dozen times if they were going to carry rubber. So I grabbed my bag out of the car and showed them every mold like I was selling Cutco knives. They had seriously never even seen a vibram and they get all the lost discs from the local courses. It gets kind of lonely being the only one around here using rubbers.

Let me know the store. I will give them a call and see if we can get the discs in there!

Hey Mr. Dodge, do you guys still do custom colors for discs? How many would one have to buy to get something like that?

We don't and there are no plans to bring this program back. I loved seeing those sets of discs though. :(

Let me know the store. I will give them a call and see if we can get the discs in there!

One more reason to love Vibram. They really work hard to get their discs out there and keep in touch with their retailers on a personal level. I went in to my local Vibram Pinnacle Retailer today and found that they still do not have the Lace I want back in stock. He said Mr. Dodge had been texting him regularly to let him know of updates on his order and that discs were coming soon. I can't wait to pick me up some more 167g M Laces!

My son just scored himself a brand new pair of Moabs at our local thrift shop for $7. They've never been worn and were his exact size. Now he's got his VBB discs and his new kicks and is itching to get a round in before the rain hits.

My son just scored himself a brand new pair of Moabs at our local thrift shop for $7. They've never been worn and were his exact size. Now he's got his VBB discs and his new kicks and is itching to get a round in before the rain hits.

You know the Vibram stuff works well in the rain. It would be ashamed to miss a round of disc golf because of the rain. Okay, so I stayed in today because I only finished my taxes just before the rain came and didn't feel like braving the weather.

Finally picked up a Firm Lace this weekend - 175 g. It did not disappoint! Can't wait to bomb it and my Mediums in the summer. All of my Laces are 175 g and not poppy because I like flat discs. Does anyone know if poppier Laces are more stable or less stable. My flat ones seem to be very stable which works awesome for me.

Big thumbs up for wearing Merrell Moabs to the dg course. They work great! :thmbup: However, if they are the Moab "Ventilator" model, don't wear them in the rain, or in the early morning when the dew is still on the grass -- unless you like playing dg with trenchfoot. Moab Ventilators are great when it's hot and sunny out, but in wet conditions, get a pair of waterproof Moabs, and you'll be all set.

This talk of shoes has me interested. Steve, have you talked with any companies or started your own development of a disc golf specific shoe?

^ Good question.

My 5 fingers have held up well so far, but only use them when it's really hot out.

Played my first round with a Trak and 2nd with an Ibex. I've been putting with Summits for a couple of years but lately I got an itch to try the other stuff out (VBB had a hand in this).

The Trak is a really solid all-around driver. Good line-shaper, decent range. Reminds me of a premium plastic Leopard or Gazelle, maybe a bit faster.

The Ibex (firm) is interesting. It's like a touchy Buzzz or Core. Loves going straight, doesn't love extreme left or right C-shaped lines. Nearly got an ace with it today (hit the tray) and some other flirty runs so it definitely wants to stay in the bag. Cannot FH this thing to save my life though.

The thing that kind of sticks out to me about these is that they love to be thrown clean and hard, demands it really. Otherwise, they're easy to OAT and float like cement. Kind of a double-edged sword and I noticed that there was no real middle ground with these disc for the people I played the VBB with. People either hated them (b/c they had bad form) or fairly receptive (could throw a bit).

My form is pretty bad, and I couldn't disagree more about your take on the Ibex especially. It goes straight down the fairway every time I throw it, whether I throw it hard or not.

My form is pretty bad, and I couldn't disagree more about your take on the Ibex especially. It goes straight down the fairway every time I throw it, whether I throw it hard or not.

Except for griplock, I agree. Super-straight mid is the Ibex.

I really don't understand Vibram's flight ratings. If I were looking for a stable/overstable driver at about 290-320 ft range, what disc would I be going for? And does the rubber compound affect what weights I should be throwing? I generally enjoy 165-168 range for drivers.

An ascent would good depending on your power, trak would be better suited for the less powerful thrower or depending on the fade you want. From what I read lower weights throw similarly to their heavier counterparts except maybe the ascent.

The speed above is the MPH for max distance, the speed below is max distance in feet, if you see an older vibram it will have a multiplier which should around the same as the new numbers. Fade and turn are in relativity to 0-30.

I really don't understand Vibram's flight ratings. If I were looking for a stable/overstable driver at about 290-320 ft range, what disc would I be going for? And does the rubber compound affect what weights I should be throwing? I generally enjoy 165-168 range for drivers.

DiscGolfCenter.com has put "Innova" ratings on them as follows:

Ascent 7/4/0/3
Trak 7/5/-1/2

I wouldn't argue too much with these ratings. The Ascent has 2 fade IMO.

I've thrown my Ascents quite a bit and they just go straight now. I don't have a problem with them turning over... yet.

IMO, both discs are very easy to control. Because of the great grip, they don't slip out early resulting in very consistent releases.

Latest posts