• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

The only Unlace I have is firm. It is by far the flippiest disc I own and its not beat in at all. I mainly use it on shorter drives, never really air it out because it would never come back.

What's your maximum distance?

What does it mean when the flight plate has the speed, fade, box but no numbers. The slots where there should be a number are empty. Disc in question is an Ascent.

thanks

In the case of the Ascent and Trak, they are second First Runs or more appropriately First Production Runs after the crazy First Runs were produced.

Well i took me a while but I'm starting to slowly build an all Vibram bag. I started last spring with the Ridge. Liked it so much I got a second, both firms. Then I grabbed a couple Summits for anny approaches and jump putts. I love the Ridge for my main putter duties and it is an excellent driving putter also. Picked up a firm VP after that for windy days. Been using them most of the last year and I have been very happy with the set-up. The past month I received an Un-Lace for Christmas and I got to try it for the first time in Arizona while visiting friends for new years. Unfortunately, I lost it but the few rounds I got out of it I was quite pleased with. Nice flight and effortless distance. I came back home and ordered a new one. Same specs. I then proceeded to get an O-Lace and Lace to compete the family. Took them out for a winter league round and they all performed well. All three were great. The O-lace really shined for me when thrown on typical flick holes. The Lace I got is slightly used 174M and it shapes awesome lines. Won't turn unless you force it or a headwind puts it down. The Un-Lace is just a tailwind machine. I'm hooked. I recently just obtained a Ascent to audition but I don't know if I am ready to give up my leo's yet..one gstar and one pro. I also just grabbed an Ibex but I don't know if I could leave my rocs behind. I throw flat tops, kc pros, and I just grabbed a mcpro roc3. What am I to do?? lol. I really want to try to move towards an all Vibram bag.

I know there is a search button but what was so crazy about the First, first runs? Thank you by the way. :hfive:

IIRC the Trak was a Trek, then there were the Trak Bumbleboots, then the current 'normal' production runs.

Not too sure about the Ascent ... see my recent posts for mass confusion that has since been figured out on 'normal' production runs.

As usual, there's people out there that know more about this so please chime in...

I use an all Vibram bag.

Summit and VP
Ibex and Obex
Traks (normal, VO, Bumbleboot)
Ascent (normal and glow)
Lace
O-Lace

I carry a few in different weights and compounds (firm/medium/soft). Also have a couple of different states on distress from hitting so many many f'ing trees!

Small bag is Summit, Ibex, Trak, O-Lace.

I know there is a search button but what was so crazy about the First, first runs? Thank you by the way. :hfive:

So called first run Ascents are green and black with an "X" pattern on them.

ascent-002-300x225.jpg

So called first run Traks are the so called bumble boot designs, yellow and black with what looks like a foot print on the disc.

vibram_trak-disc.jpg

The bumbleboot traks were really nice and stable, whereas the production traks are more like your leopards. Ascents are Vibram's last consistent mold but should fly slightly similar to an eagle if you know what to look for. I personally cycle both ibexes and firm ascents (it takes a while, though :p). If you want the ibex to take over, I advise you to let it beat in a while before making a decision on it. The glide they pick up after some use is ridiculous. I like to say an ibex is what you would get if a buzzz and a comet had a baby.

I use to carry around an Ibex, but I ended up taking it out of the bag. When the Glow disc came out, I bought a lace since I've heard great things about it. Needless to say, I fell in love with the way it felt and threw. My question is, how do these disc feel in the heat of the summer? I like how cleanly the plastic slides out of my hands, but I think that the rubber could increase my chances of grip lock because I feel like the rubber wouldn't be slick enough to slide out of my hand. Any input?

The grip on Mediums is significantly more in the summer, and the discs have a good bit more flex, etc. If you're worried about that affecting your throw just pick up some Firms. The older Firms used to be significantly slicker, but the most recent Firms I've picked up strike a nice balance between the unique Vibram grippiness and a firmer, more plastic-like feel. I've only thrown older run Firms in the summer, but those didn't seem to have an increased chance of grip lock to me.

I typically throw mediums for everything except my putting Sole and my Ascents and haven't noticed any grip issues related to the disc being tacky. I really like feeling my fingers "stick" to the disc when I'm standing on the pad visualizing my shot, though, since it gives me confidence in the grip I have on the disc. I personally feel that unless you are aiming to season discs, medium provides the perfect balance between grip, flex, and durability even during the dog days of summer.

I typically throw mediums for everything except my putting Sole and my Ascents and haven't noticed any grip issues related to the disc being tacky. I really like feeling my fingers "stick" to the disc when I'm standing on the pad visualizing my shot, though, since it gives me confidence in the grip I have on the disc. I personally feel that unless you are aiming to season discs, medium provides the perfect balance between grip, flex, and durability even during the dog days of summer.

Just to be clear: I'm with kutz on this, in that I think Medium is the material that most distinguishes Vibram (though those crazy Softs are something to be sure, if you're into that). I was just saying that, if you want something firmer for the summer months, the Firms are good stuff too, especially the most recent run. I also stick to Mediums year round.

I agree too. I haven't used many Vibram discs, but the Medium is where it's at.

I find the firms a little too firm, and the softs a little too soft. But the Medium is just right.

I tend to carry all three. I really like firms for my Lace family. Driving putters and Mids I carry in medium. I have a X-Link soft summit and Ibex that I use for shots that I need to stick. And I prefer my putters to be firm. I agree that the newer runs of firm tend to have a more rubbery texture, than some of the previous glossy firms.

Just to be clear: I'm with kutz on this, in that I think Medium is the material that most distinguishes Vibram (though those crazy Softs are something to be sure, if you're into that). I was just saying that, if you want something firmer for the summer months, the Firms are good stuff too, especially the most recent run. I also stick to Mediums year round.

I agree with this sentiment as well. I only carry Mediums anymore and the reason that I like them is for the consistency with which they come out of my hand. I would venture to say that this will not be the same for everyone else in the world.

All I putt with are Medium Soles now.

Anyone pick up a Sole recently? I just got one at Glide yesterday that is definitely flatter than any other I've had, and this is my 6th counting soft ones.

Anyone using the O-Lace for big FH drives? I'm looking for a nice stable driver that will handle some not so great form (destroyers always worked nice). Obviously any disc can be thrown FH, but is anyone finding the O-Lace finicky?

In unrelated news, I threw my first 400' drive with a lace yesterday!