• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

A threw the Vamp a few more times the last couple days and it has broken into an understable flight. Now it is flying more like a fresh DX Leopard (but faster). If it stays this way, it will fill the understable fairway slot perfectly. It will hyzer-flip with 280-300 feet of power. Thrown flat with the same amount of power, it has a glidey s-curve with a gentle fade. At 330 feet, it turns the entire flight and does not fade back. I will definitely put this in my bag if it makes it to production.

This sounds wonderful! If Vibram puts this on the market, it'll just have to take my money!

That's how it was flying for me the first two days in the field. The third and fourth day were a different story.

What weight and plastic do you have? When I had Firm protos, they were night and day within a week. All other Medium protos have always remained consistent from day one until I finished testing them.

The one I am throwing now is 173g Medium.

What weight and plastic do you have? When I had Firm protos, they were night and day within a week. All other Medium protos have always remained consistent from day one until I finished testing them.

The one I am throwing now is 173g Medium.

I have a 172 medium. The Arch, Notch and 420 didn't change much through testing but I remember the unLace going from stable to flippy real quick. The lightweight Valley was flippy from the start.

Notch to be released September 4th... soon! Firm Valleys in September... I don't trust the firms, like I do the mediums, but I am interested to see how the firm Valley holds up. My medium Valley has excellent grip and durability, which is what it's supposed to have.

Came home from work to find my tester Vamp had arrived. Heading to the course shortly, will report back with initial impressions.

8/5/-.75/1

That's my initial flight ratings for the Vamp after two rounds and a bit of field throwing. As stated, it flew very much like a TL, just a smidge more turn and seemed a hair faster. Thrown flat, it flew a nice tight S. On a slight hyzer, it flipped up, tracked a tiny bit right and faded softly at the end. On a deeper hyzer, it rode it out and flew a great glidey, sweeping hyzer line. On an anhyzer, it held it the whole flight but settled flat, never cut out on me. Fantastic glide, did surprisingly well in the 10+ mph winds from all directions, and was long for a fairway (shockingly close to my Laces). Powered down great... Rode soft hyzers well and flew powered down straight lines without getting dumpy.
(I throw fairways ~275 on controlled golf lines)

Excited to throw it some more.

8/5/-.75/1

That's my initial flight ratings for the Vamp after two rounds and a bit of field throwing. As stated, it flew very much like a TL, just a smidge more turn and seemed a hair faster. Thrown flat, it flew a nice tight S. On a slight hyzer, it flipped up, tracked a tiny bit right and faded softly at the end. On a deeper hyzer, it rode it out and flew a great glidey, sweeping hyzer line. On an anhyzer, it held it the whole flight but settled flat, never cut out on me. Fantastic glide, did surprisingly well in the 10+ mph winds from all directions, and was long for a fairway (shockingly close to my Laces). Powered down great... Rode soft hyzers well and flew powered down straight lines without getting dumpy.

Second day of numerous throws at a "city park" which means it had chances to air out, hold lines, sneak around trees, and obviously still hit its fair share of trees. No noticeable changes in flight, which makes me very happy because I am really liking this disc.

The only thing I disagree with in regards to the ratings mentioned above is the glide. I think it is closer to 4 to 4.5. It is fast for a fairway driver, which maybe masks its glide, but it seems to hit the deck quicker than my other fairway drivers but at no real loss of distance. Of course it is great at flying in a straight line, so maybe it does fly less but the accuracy makes it seem like it went just as far.

And..... Another sweet mail call. Tester proto/first run Ridge. Extra firm. Literally brand new.

Attachments

• 20150826_164843.jpg
    20150826_164843.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20150826_164855.jpg
    20150826_164855.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 9
8/5/-.75/1

Those numbers are very close to the Valley. Can someone compare/contrast the Vamp and Valley?

Those numbers are very close to the Valley. Can someone compare/contrast the Vamp and Valley?

I've yet to throw a production Valley. Been meaning to pick one up.

I'm curious to see what the Vamp turns into when it does the quick break in out of its mold stiffness Vibrams seem to do. Hoping for a more Leopard-like flight. If so, I'll pick up a Valley.

I've yet to throw a production Valley. Been meaning to pick one up.

I'm curious to see what the Vamp turns into when it does the quick break in out of its mold stiffness Vibrams seem to do. Hoping for a more Leopard-like flight. If so, I'll pick up a Valley.

I am praying that Vibram doesn't change anything. It is the most user friendly driver I have ever thrown. My only fear is that it is too close to the Valley and Steve will make adjustments to make it more understable.

I want the vamp to be more distance. The Valley can grow into a nice turnover disc or hyzer flip disc when beaten in. Vibram in my opinion needs to do 3 things.

1st- make an overstable mid. not just slightly overstable as the obex but stupid overstable like a gator.

2nd- make a speed 9-10 fairway understable. The Vamp is more of a speed 8.

3rd- make an understable mid range. The ibex takes time to beat in and get to that understable mid range.

Has anyone seen announcements of pre-orders etc. for the Arch and Notch?

I know they are going to be released Friday, but haven't seen the same level of interest demonstrated as it was for the Solace, O-Lace or even the Valley.

Okay guys, I've thrown all of them and here's the deal.

The proto-Valley, aka the R448, is completely different than the production Valley. The proto-Valley will be released, but it will be later this year or maybe next year (I don't know) and will be called the Onyx.

The production Valley didn't really have a widely distributed test run. Most people compare it to either a TL or a Teebird. Interesting note about the production Valley is that it actually don't really hyzer flip well at all. I went to an event over the weekend and had some big guns test mine out. Everyone tried to hyzer flip it out of the gate, and it just doesn't want to, even for the guy who could throw 500'. Thrown flat, it's a very straight flier, with a very narrow S-Curve. I think of it as kind of a grown up Ibex.

The Vamp, coming later this year I guess?, is very similar to the Leopard, although slightly, slightly faster, but not much. I think it has a little less fade than the Trak, but I think it's going to be a great disc.

The Arch, if you've seen my posts about it before, is a great disc and a lot like the Eagle.

The Notch is pretty beefy.